• Who ya got? 2 FCS Head-to-Head Match-ups this Saturday!

#31946  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:22 pm
Campbell D gives up another easy TD, but back-up vs. back-up gives Campbell a TD & 2 pt conversion 52-21 w/under 2 to play - sorry-a$$ appys trying to run it up though...

Final 52-21 appys - Camels beat spread & didn’t really beat themselves today.

They are talented but have conditioning issues & possibly depth & cultural issues on D. Play Wake Forest to close our their season.

These 4 FBS games definitely helped their Players get better and, most likely, a nice financial boost.

Not participating in Spring season (they say), but they will challenge for Big South Title in 2021 & possibly make noise in playoffs IF they can fix their (fixable) issues.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #31948  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm
Colonels were about to all but shut the door on the bellhops with long drive that chewed up most of 3rd quarter...but QB dropped the ball on 3rd down & they missed a short FG.

Heading to 4th with bellhops trailing, but, luckily, not out of it...yet

30-14 EKU
 #31949  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm
Bellhops getting desperate & threw near Pick 6 - EKU walks into end zone from the 4 & bellhops go down 37-14 with 6 & change to play. [Game Over]
 #31950  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Bellhops have been pretty consistent in their 3 games.

Bad on Offense & spotty on D - front 7 pretty good, but secondary has struggled. DB’s & A-Backs opting out / transferring out is really showing up & killing what they thought was going to be a great Team.

They’ll be better in the Spring...but how much better?
 #31971  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Bad on Offense & spotty on D - front 7 pretty good, but secondary has struggled. DB’s & A-Backs opting out / transferring out is really showing up & killing what they thought was going to be a great Team.

I didn't watch most of the game, but follow up on it, nothing form the Citadel seemed terribly impressive. EKU did what you need to do against an option offense - get a lead, let them make mistakes, and force them behind the chains.

Recruiting wise, what has to be concerning is that I feel like the Citadel is basically running the same three or four guys out there every season to carry all the water. A number of their key guys like Webb and Rainey were recruited by Houston's staff. Still up in the air on what their offense will do without them.

This video is one that stuck out to me surfing the highlights. Perhaps they are coached to do this (I don't see why they would be) but on this 3rd and 1 play, you can see the offensive line get set in almost a wave - C and RG are already set, then RT, then overloaded OT, then LG, then TE, then fullback. That, to me, isn't great discipline for an offense built on discipline.

I'm not an option guru, and I don't know the call or blocking scheme, but I'm not sure what they are doing with the blocking.

Rainey seems to lose the handle on the ball, but even if he hadn't, the Citadel does not have this play blocked. I have no idea what the two OGs are doing. No one seems to get a hat on the OLB, as both guys run to the safety.

At the time Rainey wants to pitch it, I count 8 EKU defenders at or around the line of scrimmage.

In the Citadel's offense, on a 3rd and 1, how do you not get lined up, set, ready to fire off the ball, and adequately block your staple play?
 #31972  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

I didn't watch most of the game, but follow up on it, nothing form the Citadel seemed terribly impressive. EKU did what you need to do against an option offense - get a lead, let them make mistakes, and force them behind the chains.

Recruiting wise, what has to be concerning is that I feel like the Citadel is basically running the same three or four guys out there every season to carry all the water. A number of their key guys like Webb and Rainey were recruited by Houston's staff. Still up in the air on what their offense will do without them.

This video is one that stuck out to me surfing the highlights. Perhaps they are coached to do this (I don't see why they would be) but on this 3rd and 1 play, you can see the offensive line get set in almost a wave - C and RG are already set, then RT, then overloaded OT, then LG, then TE, then fullback. That, to me, isn't great discipline for an offense built on discipline.

I'm not an option guru, and I don't know the call or blocking scheme, but I'm not sure what they are doing with the blocking.

Rainey seems to lose the handle on the ball, but even if he hadn't, the Citadel does not have this play blocked. I have no idea what the two OGs are doing. No one seems to get a hat on the OLB, as both guys run to the safety.

At the time Rainey wants to pitch it, I count 8 EKU defenders at or around the line of scrimmage.

In the Citadel's offense, on a 3rd and 1, how do you not get lined up, set, ready to fire off the ball, and adequately block your staple play?
Yeah - they look BAD. Coach Caldwell would say they look like popcorn going into their stance & coming off the ball. Their ‘bread & butter’ play now is for Rainey to keep the ball & wiggle/wriggle behind the blockers (screeners is probably a better term) until he can fall forward for 3.3 yards or find a little crease & break into the 2nd level. He’s very good at it...but that is not a sustainable offense beyond Pop Warner level where your guy is bigger & more athletic than everyone else on the field.

FUBeAR would run some kind of double-spy (1 on each side - my 2 best tackling LB’s or Safeties) and their job would be to play old-school Smear the Alternative Lifestyle Person if he comes your way - no dive / no pitch / no pass responsibilities - just smack the be-jeebuzz out of #16 every play. I think it’s still legal to dive over the OLmen if you go headfirst - Rock Hurst used to do that about 2x / game - just a flying suflex tackle on him - that’ll slow him down...and make him think about “Death from Above” the next time he’s meshing with the B-Back.

The challenge DC’s have in stopping The Citadel is their own “We do what we do!” egos. You can’t do what you do when what you do is designed to stop real college offenses. The bellhops used to run a pretty nice version of what GT, GaSou, Army, Navy, and to some extent, Air Force ran - a real, though unique, college offense. That’s NOT what they are running now. It resembles it though...much the same way my kitchen countertops resemble Michaelangelo’s statue of David.
 #31973  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 am
I think that guy who made the play was unblocked by design. He committed to the Qb so the QB was supposed to pitch, but lost the handle on it and had to eat it. When option plays go wrong it always looks like somebody missed a block because they did on purpose.
 #31974  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:08 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 am
I think that guy who made the play was unblocked by design. He committed to the Qb so the QB was supposed to pitch, but lost the handle on it and had to eat it. When option plays go wrong it always looks like somebody missed a block because they did on purpose.
You’re right about that - however as Jackal called out - both the play side & backside LB’s are also virtually untouched by the OG’s & the playside OT doesn’t get off the ball & really get his head in front of the 4i who is slanting inside. If he had, he could have washed him flat down the line & IF Rainey was actually reading @ the mesh, he could have handed off to the B-Back for a nice pop up the middle - off RG, really. The C does a good job on the NG, but the OG’s angles are helping him...while letting the LB’s run free. If Rainey hadn’t bobbled the ball & made a clean pitch, I believe the PS LB would have still blown up the play in the backfield with support from the b/s LB & from the slanting DT, who quickly recognized the B-Back did not have the ball & doesn’t waste himself tackling him. Execution is just very sloppy & we can’t even see if the p/s OT-over’s Arc Block on the p/s Safety was/was not effective. Same with the p/s A-Back’s block on the CB. If those were equally as sloppy, the play is even yuckier!
 #31976  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am
It's hard to see where the DT is lined up. Usually on the triple I would expect he would be unblocked and be the first read. I'll give the RT a pass because it looks like he was slanting/pinching inside. I would think that ordinarily you wouldn't block that man if you were still running the give.

I cannot imagine a scenario, though, where both the overloaded RT and A back would both avoid the OLB. Even if he makes the pitch, that dude is going to blow up the play 5 yards in the backfield.
 #31977  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:41 am
The Jackal wrote:
It's hard to see where the DT is lined up. Usually on the triple I would expect he would be unblocked and be the first read. I'll give the RT a pass because it looks like he was slanting/pinching inside. I would think that ordinarily you wouldn't block that man if you were still running the give.

I cannot imagine a scenario, though, where both the overloaded RT and A back would both avoid the OLB. Even if he makes the pitch, that dude is going to blow up the play 5 yards in the backfield.
Nope...OT leaves that guy unblocked ONLY if he can release inside him - otherwise he can blow up the play at the mesh point & cause a fumble. He’s definitely in a 4i and stemming inside. His problem here is technique. He doesn’t get off quick enough at snap & he raises up. His 1st step is OK, but he didn’t keep his chest down on his knee, so his hat doesn’t get across & he has to get back down to attack the DLman low enough. He gets no “pass” from FUBeAR - that’s a clear 1 (did the right thing, but failed to execute).

Also the OverOT & the A-Back are doing the right things...ArcBlock to Safety & Kicking Contain CB.

The RG is the biggest problem. He should have folded around the OT to give him an angle on the p/s LB or he and the OT need to be Combo’ing on the DLman/LB with the OG taking over the DLman & the OT stepping out on the p/ LB. Personally, I like to fold it, but the OLman have to be quick & athletic to do that effectively - so an OT/OG Combo probably would have been best in this case. Regardless you gotta get something on that p/s LB, who’s coming over the top.
 #31978  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Nope...OT leaves that guy unblocked ONLY if he can release inside him - otherwise he can blow up the play at the mesh point & cause a fumble. He’s definitely in a 4i and stemming inside. His problem here is technique. He doesn’t get off quick enough at snap & he raises up. His 1st step is OK, but he didn’t keep his chest down on his knee, so his hat doesn’t get across & he has to get back down to attack the DLman low enough. He gets no “pass” from FUBeAR - that’s a clear 1 (did the right thing, but failed to execute).

Also the OverOT & the A-Back are doing the right things...ArcBlock to Safety & Kicking Contain CB.

The RG is the biggest problem. He should have folded around the OT to give him an angle on the p/s LB or he and the OT need to be Combo’ing on the DLman/LB with the OG taking over the DLman & the OT stepping out on the p/ LB. Personally, I like to fold it, but the OLman have to be quick & athletic to do that effectively - so an OT/OG Combo probably would have been best in this case. Regardless you gotta get something on that p/s LB, who’s coming over the top.
I don't understand a single thing you said FuBear. And they don't call the lineman position a "skill position".
 #31979  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I don't understand a single thing you said FuBear. And they don't call the lineman position a "skill position".
OK - here is the translation for the average football fan.

“C’MON O-LINE! BLOCK SOMEBODY!!”
Flagman liked this
 #31982  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

OK - here is the translation for the average football fan.

“C’MON O-LINE! BLOCK SOMEBODY!!”

Granted, if I were a coach and my two offensive guards were behind the linebackers looking at each other, I'd probably say the same thing.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.