• FCS Playoffs in Spring 2021

#31776  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm
Cool...I think...

FUBeAR needs a spreadsheet, a flowchart, and 2 interns from MIT to understand all of this.

What I do understand is Central Arkansas or Eastern Kentucky (unlikely, I know) could get an At-Large berth into
the 2021 FCS Playoffs based upon their 8/9 game schedule in the Fall.

Or, the SoCon could decide to start their season in a few weeks, play it out & send their Champion & any deserving At-Large’s to the 2021 FCS Playoffs. FUBeAR doesn’t think they should do that...but they could.
AstroDin liked this
 #31778  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm
If an 8 game season is to be played that means a mid February start and January practices. How excited are you for a winter season? I’m just not there yet but maybe as we get closer.
 #31780  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm
This may not make a difference, but the date for the start of the FCS playoffs (April 18) is, oddly, a Sunday.

The date for the last day (May 15) is a Saturday.

Possibly, they have the date and location for a national title game, but realize that the playoffs may have occur on dates other than Saturday. Of course, in the spring, football will not have to compete with the NFL on its traditional Saturday/Sunday format.

With facilities being double booked, it seems almost a no-brainer that we'll see college football on Sundays.
 #31781  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm
If an 8 game season is to be played that means a mid February start and January practices. How excited are you for a winter season? I’m just not there yet but maybe as we get closer.
I think literally everyone would prefer a fall season, but that's not in the cards.

Even then, the average temps in Greenville in February are close to what they are in November. Our football team also routinely practices that time of year, so that doesn't seem to be a big hurdle.
 #31782  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm
Played in 12 degrees w/30 mph winds & frozen rain @ Marshall & when it was 115+ on the field @ UNC - don’t matter to the Players...Any-hoooo...

FUBeAR is now going to be ALL-IN on this Spring Season - gonna be AWESOME ....

... and if Dwight, et al doesn’t already have all the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of Clemson Season Football Ticket Holders residing within a 30 mile radius of Paladin Stadium, they need to get on the stick. Coach Caldwell will hook ‘em up.

FCS / Paladin Football can be their USFL for 1 year...XFL for you young peeps....The USFL, for historical record, was something Donald Trump destroyed before he became a Reality TV personality.

Anyway - people are going to be STARVING to attend Football games in the Spring. You’ll never get their minds off their TIE-gurs in the Fall, but they just might be willing to expand their, um, cultural horizons thus Spring.

Covid Terror will end after November, so, assuming, the country has not been reduced to rubble, we just might be able to host a real crowd again.

Let’s Make Spring Great!!!!
apaladin, furman88, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #31783  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm
This may not make a difference, but the date for the start of the FCS playoffs (April 18) is, oddly, a Sunday.

The date for the last day (May 15) is a Saturday.

Possibly, they have the date and location for a national title game, but realize that the playoffs may have occur on dates other than Saturday. Of course, in the spring, football will not have to compete with the NFL on its traditional Saturday/Sunday format.

With facilities being double booked, it seems almost a no-brainer that we'll see college football on Sundays.
April 18th is prolly the selection Sunday show. Then 4 Saturday’s for the playoffs. 4/24, 5/1, 5/8 and the championship on 5/15.
 #31788  by AstroDin
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:07 am
I'm with Bear > I'm also all in on spring ball.

I'm really curious about how the SoCon is going to rebuild the league schedule. Will they shake up the order? I want the Terriers in that first game.
dornb liked this
 #31789  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am
In truth the weather will probably be pretty awesome. The worst game will probably be like an average Big 10 game. So you start at noon and wear a coat. By the end of the season it’s like Masters weather. Since the Covid is pretty much over and there will very likely be 100M or so people vaccinated (maybe 300M by season end) they may allow spectators). It may be better than normal football season, and it worries me that I may like it too much. I was an XFL addict.

I don’t see how some of the northern conferences can get it done, but it’s their fault we’re having to do this so I hope they freeze. Their snow games will be fun to watch.
FUBeAR, dornb, MetroMizzy liked this
 #31805  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 am
In truth the weather will probably be pretty awesome. The worst game will probably be like an average Big 10 game. So you start at noon and wear a coat. By the end of the season it’s like Masters weather. Since the Covid is pretty much over and there will very likely be 100M or so people vaccinated (maybe 300M by season end) they may allow spectators). It may be better than normal football season, and it worries me that I may like it too much. I was an XFL addict.

I don’t see how some of the northern conferences can get it done, but it’s their fault we’re having to do this so I hope they freeze. Their snow games will be fun to watch.
The new norm will be they will no longer play in snow. Someone might get too cold or even get sick, heaven forbid. Everyone has to be safe. illnesses no matter how minor or shortlived can no longer be tolerated.
Paul C, dornb, gman84 liked this
 #31864  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Yep - MEAC sending their Champ...

Bracket Automatic Qualifiers At Large Selections Championship
16____________11_______________5______April 18________May 14-16 (exact TBD)

With SoCon performance in the 2019 Playoffs & OOC, there’s as much chance of a SoCon Team getting an At-Large berth as there is that President Trump will nominate Adam Schiff for the Supreme Court.

Win or go home...
 #31871  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

With SoCon performance in the 2019 Playoffs & OOC, there’s as much chance of a SoCon Team getting an At-Large berth as there is that President Trump will nominate Adam Schiff for the Supreme Court.

Win or go home...
Agree, no chance for a SoCon at-large. Why are they already talking about having playoffs games at neutral sites instead of home stadiums 9 months from now???? Geez, Im afraid the COVID hysteria fear mongering is never going away.
 #31875  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Win or go home...

This will almost be BCS-era football, where a loss can sink your national title hopes.
FUBeAR liked this
 #31887  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:36 pm
This was a fond memory.

I don't recall ever seeing Furman simply manhandle a team up front like Furman did to WCU (a top 25 team) that day. Gave rise to one of my favorite quotes, from WCU coach Kent Briggs:

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming; we just couldn't stop them."
AstroDin liked this