• Sun Belt > Big 12

#31717  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:28 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 am
Will all SoCon members be required to play Spring Football or can some opt out? Is there a minimum number of conferences which have to participate in order for the FCS to schedule a playoff?

According to what was reported this fall, the FCS will require greater than 50% of "eligible teams" for the FCS playoffs.

Listening to comments, it sounds like the administration and coaches are comfortable that the SoCon will have a spring season. They seemed a little less comfortable with the decisions made by the NCAA.

The only team I really have a question about right now is the Citadel. Could the Citadel play four games in the fall and then turn around and play 8 SoCon games in the Spring?
 #31718  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
Will all SoCon members be required to play Spring Football or can some opt out? Is there a minimum number of conferences which have to participate in order for the FCS to schedule a playoff?
The only team I really have a question about right now is the Citadel. Could the Citadel play four games in the fall and then turn around and play 8 SoCon games in the Spring?
Not without an NCAA waiver to allow them to play 12 games in an 11 game season
AstroDin liked this
 #31734  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm
According to this release, the NCAA could approve a spring season and 16 team playoff by tomorrow. http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
If health conditions allow for them to compete in the spring semester, the regular season would start in late February and occur over a shorter time period, so the annual playoffs that have involved 24 teams since 2013 also would be shorter. Ten conference champions would still receive automatic bids, but there would be six at-large teams instead of the usual 14.
This is what the spring schedule could look like by conference: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

Furman, I guess, would have an advantage here. Greenville isn't balmy in February, but it will a lot nicer weather than a lot of other FCS schools and Furman is already used to playing in February and March every year.
 #31735  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Haley notes that in his article, noting that the Citadel will need a waiver to play a SoCon conference schedule.

I wonder if most Citadel fans would trade three FBS blowouts and a home game against a bad EKU team this fall for a full SoCon schedule and chance for the post season three months later.
 #31737  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Haley notes that in his article, noting that the Citadel will need a waiver to play a SoCon conference schedule.

I wonder if most Citadel fans would trade three FBS blowouts and a home game against a bad EKU team this fall for a full SoCon schedule and chance for the post season three months later.
It seems like there are several ways to skin this cat.

1. If the Spring season looks like it might really happen, cancel a game ( maybe we could take their place).

2. Get a waiver.

3. Play 7 games in the Spring. If they are really going to get blown out 3 times, they aren’t good enough to go to any playoffs anyway.

Look for hundreds and hundreds of years colleges have played football in the fall. They are doing that. It isn’t stupid. It’s American.
aqualung, FUBeAR liked this
 #31738  by aqualung
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

I've always thought that a spring season was a pipe dream. Don't think it will ever happen. Just a ruse they used to entice all of the fools to cancel their beloved football season. Now they know that anything is possible.
 #31739  by freebird
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:56 pm
Aqualung my friend don't you start away uneasy. I'm with you on the skepticism of a spring season.
 #31740  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 am
I think spring is going to happen >

The power brokers of the FCS aren't playing ball this fall - MVC - CAA - Big Sky.
I hope I'm right > NDSU is the only team out of that group of conferences that's going to play a game in the fall.

Added not > several schools have indoor facilities in the MVC and the Big Sky.
I'm betting you will see a full-court press to get in spring ball and a national championship.

If the FBS and the FCS schools playing can get through fall without too many postponed games - I think that will increase the chances that we will see football in the spring.
 #31741  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

1. If the Spring season looks like it might really happen, cancel a game ( maybe we could take their place).

2. Get a waiver.

3. Play 7 games in the Spring. If they are really going to get blown out 3 times, they aren’t good enough to go to any playoffs anyway.

Look for hundreds and hundreds of years colleges have played football in the fall. They are doing that. It isn’t stupid. It’s American.
There is another option.

In the ‘old days,’ SoCon Teams did not play a full ‘round-robin’ schedule. The SoCon Championship was determined based upon winning percentage. The Paladins won outright SoCon Championships over VMI in 1981 (5-2 (.714) vs. 3-1-1 (.700)), WCU in 1983 (6-0-1 (.923) vs. 5-0-1 (.917)...tied each other), and Appy in 1985 (6-0 (1.000) vs. 6-1 (.857)) via this methodology.

So, if CIT doesn’t get a waiver, maybe Samford, who would be @ CIT this season (one of their longest road trips @ 445 miles), agrees to only play 7 SoCon games also...and SoCon uses winning % to determine Champion - then we all good.

Right?
————————————————————————————————————————————
BTW - Why the heck are we having this discussion in the “Sun Belt > Big 12” thread?

....ahhh, I see....AstroDin & Jackal started us off-track in Posts #5 & #6.

Admins - please censure these 2 recalcitrant thread hijackers!!

TheUFFP must not tolerate thread drift!! FUBeAR is thinking of organizing a (mostly peaceful) protest. Who’s with me?

#31743  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 am
You'll have to excuse Astro and I for discussing Furman football on the Big 12/Sun Belt thread on the Furman football forum.
FUBeAR liked this
 #31748  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 am
You'll have to excuse Astro and I for discussing Furman football on the Big 12/Sun Belt thread on the Furman football forum.

My fault for asking a football-related question.
 #31752  by gman84
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:47 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

2. Get a waiver.

There is another option.

In the ‘old days,’ SoCon Teams did not play a full ‘round-robin’ schedule. The SoCon Championship was determined based upon winning percentage. The Paladins won outright SoCon Championships over VMI in 1981 (5-2 (.714) vs. 3-1-1 (.700)), WCU in 1983 (6-0-1 (.923) vs. 5-0-1 (.917)...tied each other), and Appy in 1985 (6-0 (1.000) vs. 6-1 (.857)) via this methodology.

So, if CIT doesn’t get a waiver, maybe Samford, who would be @ CIT this season (one of their longest road trips @ 445 miles), agrees to only play 7 SoCon games also...and SoCon uses winning % to determine Champion - then we all good.

Right?
————————————————————————————————————————————
BTW - Why the heck are we having this discussion in the “Sun Belt > Big 12” thread?

....ahhh, I see....AstroDin & Jackal started us off-track in Posts #5 & #6.

Admins - please censure these 2 recalcitrant thread hijackers!!

TheUFFP must not tolerate thread drift!! FUBeAR is thinking of organizing a (mostly peaceful) protest. Who’s with me?

I would put both on a 14 day shelter in home status. Those two can really ruin a forum. And of course keep things peaceful! :D
 #31759  by cavedweller2
 Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am
Wouldn't it be cool if the whole football forum was one long continuous thread?
FUBeAR, Flagman, gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.