• Sun Belt > Big 12

#31695  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 am
This isn't really responsive to my original point. Most years, FCS teams hang around and surprise FBS teams. That's nothing new. It happens every season.

The question I am posing is whether Furman should play just for the paycheck. That's what Campbell is clearly doing. That's what the Citadel is primarily doing. UTC is playing one "money" game that their coach has already equated to a spring scrimmage.

But to a larger point, how many games would satisfy everyone? Two? Three? Four? What is the magic number?
 #31696  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am
Flagman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 pm
How beneficial is it for those FCS teams to be embarrassed on national tv? Yes, they’re playing, but with the exception of Campbell, they have been embarrassed. It was stated that Campbell will opt out of spring ball, out of concern for their players’ safety. No chance for a conference championship or play-off berth.
7 of 11 games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (64%)
6 of 10 FCS vs. FBS games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (60%)

Counting CIT game as ‘competitive’ - bellhops didn’t look good, but didn’t let the game get out of hand either - stayed within 2 scores until 2:59 left in game. And, I think you missed these other non-embarrassments...

Houston Baptist 33
Texas Tech 35

Central Arkansas 35
UAB 45

Houston Baptist 31
North Texas 57
(got away from them a bit, but nobody plays D in TX, and they made the final semi-respectable)

Stephen F. Austin 14
UTEP 24
"Houston Baptist 33
Texas Tech 35"

That was damn shocking
- the school of Kliff Kingsbury and Patrick Mahomes etc. Man, if were a TTU alum I would be pissed. I was not nearly as shocked by Coastal (they beat KU last year too) or even Louisiana - they have mid-FBS talent and Napier is a good coach.
 #31699  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
What is the magic number?
 #31700  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:13 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am
Flagman wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 pm
How beneficial is it for those FCS teams to be embarrassed on national tv? Yes, they’re playing, but with the exception of Campbell, they have been embarrassed. It was stated that Campbell will opt out of spring ball, out of concern for their players’ safety. No chance for a conference championship or play-off berth.
7 of 11 games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (64%)
6 of 10 FCS vs. FBS games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (60%)

Counting CIT game as ‘competitive’ - bellhops didn’t look good, but didn’t let the game get out of hand either - stayed within 2 scores until 2:59 left in game. And, I think you missed these other non-embarrassments...

Houston Baptist 33
Texas Tech 35

Central Arkansas 35
UAB 45

Houston Baptist 31
North Texas 57
(got away from them a bit, but nobody plays D in TX, and they made the final semi-respectable)

Stephen F. Austin 14
UTEP 24
"Houston Baptist 33
Texas Tech 35"

That was damn shocking
- the school of Kliff Kingsbury and Patrick Mahomes etc. Man, if were a TTU alum I would be pissed. I was not nearly as shocked by Coastal (they beat KU last year too) or even Louisiana - they have mid-FBS talent and Napier is a good coach.

Was not a banner day for the Big 12.
 #31701  by aqualung
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
This isn't really responsive to my original point. Most years, FCS teams hang around and surprise FBS teams. That's nothing new. It happens every season.

The question I am posing is whether Furman should play just for the paycheck. That's what Campbell is clearly doing. That's what the Citadel is primarily doing. UTC is playing one "money" game that their coach has already equated to a spring scrimmage.

But to a larger point, how many games would satisfy everyone? Two? Three? Four? What is the magic number?
These schools are not just playing for a paycheck. Life in America is about overcoming adversity and competing. These schools are doing both and also getting paid. All of the schools that are playing are making all of the schools that decided to sit it out look like fools IMHO. I'll shut up now before the PC forum police remove this thread.
 #31702  by FU3
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am
“These schools are not just playing for a paycheck. Life in America is about overcoming adversity and competing. These schools are doing both and also getting paid. All of the schools that are playing are making all of the schools that decided to sit it out look like fools IMHO. I'll shut up now before the PC forum police remove this thread.”

Narrator: These schools were just playing for a paycheck.
 #31704  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 pm
aqualung wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am
The Jackal wrote:

These schools are not just playing for a paycheck. Life in America is about overcoming adversity and competing. These schools are doing both and also getting paid. All of the schools that are playing are making all of the schools that decided to sit it out look like fools IMHO. I'll shut up now before the PC forum police remove this thread.
What aqualung said. If you ask every player they all would say they are playing to win and compete. The money is not on the players minds I assure you. Like the old saying it’s better to have participated and lost than to not have participated at all.
 #31705  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:09 pm
Is there any sort of projected timeline for when a spring schedule will be released? With no apparent movement toward even scheduling spring games, playing whatever you can now seems like the only sensible move.
 #31706  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Is there any sort of projected timeline for when a spring schedule will be released? With no apparent movement toward even scheduling spring games, playing whatever you can now seems like the only sensible move.
IIRC, JD said they are supposed to know something about basketball and football by the 16th but don’t hold your breath.
 #31708  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

I doubt the SoCon is consulting the UFFP in determining their timeline.

My guess is schools are trying to figure out how to use existing athletic facilities to accommodate fall sports taking place in the spring. Many schools utilize the same facilities for multiple sports that normally don't overlap.
AstroDin liked this
 #31709  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Well, that’s their 1st mistake!
Flagman, Davemeister liked this
 #31710  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

My guess is schools are trying to figure out how to use existing athletic facilities to accommodate fall sports taking place in the spring. Many schools utilize the same facilities for multiple sports that normally don't overlap.
I guess the bottleneck would be soccer, track and football using the same facilities, is that it? Why not just use local HS facilities as needed? Too easy.
 #31711  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Jason Donnelly said last Tuesday that a schedule could be released by the conference sometime this week.
dornb liked this
 #31712  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Jason Donnelly said last Tuesday that a schedule could be released by the conference sometime this week.
Excellent.
 #31716  by Davemeister
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 am
Will all SoCon members be required to play Spring Football or can some opt out? Is there a minimum number of conferences which have to participate in order for the FCS to schedule a playoff?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.