#31624  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm
Napier Cajuns punk the Cyclones.

Arkansas St takes down Kansas St.

I love it.
FUBeAR, Choir Boy, QCGlue liked this
 #31677  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 pm
Big 12 tryin’ to find a way to NOT earn a berth in the CFB 4 Team ‘playoff’...not easy to do with B1G & PAC12 sittin’ on the sidelines this season.
 #31682  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:37 am
Looks like the SBC is going to go 3-0 against the Big12 as CCU is leading Kansas 28-3.
I have really started to notice this the last few years, but the college football landscape has changed a lot in terms of talent.

From what I can see, there is a small upper echelon of elite teams. You can all but write in two of those teams playing for a national title just about every season. Most of the rest of the college football world will struggle to stay on the field with them for four quarters.

There's a group of good-but-not-elite teams that make up a large portion of the P5 top 25 teams. These teams will beat most other programs but will struggle against the elite teams.

After that, it's pretty much a mushy middle.

This was not always the case, but I do not believe there is nearly as big of a gap now as their used to be between the mid-low Big 12 teams, the SunBelt, and the better FCS teams.
 #31683  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:58 am
Watched a good bit of most of those games, I agree with Jackal about the state of college football.

As I watched it was pretty apparent the Big 12 had some matchup issues against the Sun Belt teams.
Coastal appeared to have an overall advantage on team speed… KU did have some fast slot/running back guys, but I'd still give the athlete nod to the Chats - plus Staggs was doing his usual aggressive defensive play calling.

Kudos - Napier on a big win. That matchup again showed the speed difference - Louisana gashed Iowa St on special teams.

I thought Ark St was the most impressive.

on a side note - The Citadel's boast of being the FCS team collect scalps fell flat. I thought the Dogs looked slow and predictable against the Bulls. USF always has talent - but I thought Citadel could be a matchup problem for a first-year coach. Not at all. CItadel just became the highlight for one of the botched-plays of the night - the punt for zero yards and a touchdown.

I have no doubt, Furman, if playing would show up better than most of the FCS teams are mustering this season. I just don't get it. Yes, The Citadel is collecting $1 MIL but the optics so far look desperate. And EKU those players have to be asking why…
 #31684  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:06 pm
I realize the coaches, players, and administration will publicly say different, but the optics for many of these FCS teams is that they are just making a push for a paycheck.

We can debate the merits of that, and perhaps it would have been a good idea for Furman, but let's just call it what it is.
 #31686  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Don’t they do that every year? Sometimes FCS teams look good, but usually terrible. Same this year. EKU and Austin Peay look bad. Citadel looks like Citadel. Campbell, Houston Baptist and Central Arkansas are looking pretty good. I’m a a Camel fan now. They played great, and camels are funny.
apaladin liked this
 #31687  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:19 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Don’t they do that every year? Sometimes FCS teams look good, but usually terrible. Same this year. EKU and Austin Peay look bad. Citadel looks like Citadel. Campbell, Houston Baptist and Central Arkansas are looking pretty good. I’m a a Camel fan now. They played great, and camels are funny.
side note to the Campbell/GSU game >
Georgia Southern will have 33 players inactive for Saturday's football game against Campbell, the team announced.

The list includes seven starters, among them running back Wesley Kennedy III, who led the Eagles with 824 rushing yards and 1,199 all-purpose yards in 2019, and safety Kenderick Duncan.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... her-issues
 #31688  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:00 pm
Yes, they mentioned that about every 5 minutes. But everybody has discipline problems, and everybody is dealing with Covid. The Camels just did a better job managing all of that which says even more about their fledgling program.
AstroDin liked this
 #31690  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:47 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:00 pm
Yes, they mentioned that about every 5 minutes. But everybody has discipline problems, and everybody is dealing with Covid. The Camels just did a better job managing all of that which says even more about their fledgling program.
Gutsy call from the Camels to go for the win with the 2 point conversion at the end. The Eagles could have nullified the SBC other wins with a loss.
 #31691  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:06 pm
I realize the coaches, players, and administration will publicly say different, but the optics for many of these FCS teams is that they are just making a push for a paycheck.

We can debate the merits of that, and perhaps it would have been a good idea for Furman, but let's just call it what it is.
They are playing, they are competing, they are on TV. FU is not.
 #31692  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 pm
How beneficial is it for those FCS teams to be embarrassed on national tv? Yes, they’re playing, but with the exception of Campbell, they have been embarrassed. It was stated that Campbell will opt out of spring ball, out of concern for their players’ safety. No chance for a conference championship or play-off berth.
hypercycloid liked this
 #31693  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:07 am
Flagman wrote:
How beneficial is it for those FCS teams to be embarrassed on national tv? Yes, they’re playing, but with the exception of Campbell, they have been embarrassed. It was stated that Campbell will opt out of spring ball, out of concern for their players’ safety. No chance for a conference championship or play-off berth.
Very beneficial. Yes there were 3 FBS vs FCS blowouts but as you said Campbell was on national TV for the first time ever and got national attention for the way they played against GSU. Houston Baptist almost beat Big12 Texas Tech losing 35-33. Citadel was on national TV and they were close most of the game before losing 27-6. So to answer your question yes it was beneficial to some and not so much for others. If you don’t play you have no chance. If you play you have a chance.
 #31694  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am
Flagman wrote:
7 of 11 games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (64%)
6 of 10 FCS vs. FBS games played, so far, can, reasonably, be viewed as ‘competitive.’ (60%)

Counting CIT game as ‘competitive’ - bellhops didn’t look good, but didn’t let the game get out of hand either - stayed within 2 scores until 2:59 left in game. And, I think you missed these other non-embarrassments...

Houston Baptist 33
Texas Tech 35

Central Arkansas 35
UAB 45

Houston Baptist 31
North Texas 57
(got away from them a bit, but nobody plays D in TX, and they made the final semi-respectable)

Stephen F. Austin 14
UTEP 24

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.