• My thoughts

#31142  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:17 pm
I'll never quit on these student-athletes...I didn't go to Furman, but Furman is where I grew up...It's home...It's Greenville...You other negative Nancys can go watch some over-hyped SEC program that's never going to win anything more than Furman has already won for all I care...Quitting on student athletes when there are things out of their control is unacceptable...Furman is more than the present, it's a past and a future...Get y'all's minds right....Here's something that Nostradamus or Jesus can confirm as an accurate prophecy...South Carolina and Ole Miss definitely aren't winning national titles in revenue sports before armageddon...I can guarantee that's as accurate as the coming of the anti-christ predicted in revelation....But go on, please support those awesome beacons of winning traditions....So, Furman will always have more football national titles than either....No matter if Methusalah lived his life over three times again...You might as well go support Sewanee,...They were unbeatable a century ago, and have probably won more than SC or Ole Miss ever will in the league.
I like your post overall, but I do NOT agree with your comment about UofSC never winning a National Championship in Football. If Clemson can win a National Championship in football, UofSC will win one, or two, or three, or they will die trying. UofSC certainly has superior financial resources over Clemson, superior fan and and student and alumni support, at least equal access to the same prospective athletes, and membership in the mighty SEC, as well as the burning desire to win a National Championship in Football. They probably already have equal or better facilities to Clemson; or if they do not already in some area or other, they soon will, as that’s the way UofSC and Clemson have done things for at least the last 50 years.
As as Ole Miss, yes, they have more challenges than UofSC.
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #31143  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:47 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:52 pm
And the Ole Miss and SC comments weren't that serious...But I don't think you should give up on a program just because something goes wrong every once and a while...We live in an imperfect world...The easy way out is easy for a reason....I wish Furman still had baseball, too...I am pissed about football as well, and that Furman isn't playing, but no one is as upset as the kids are...That's why I write...I want to promote them...They are Division I athletes and good students...They deserve as much pub as I or anyone can give them...That makes it "real" to me...It's not all about Ws and Ls...We all love the Ws, but it's all a process....Seeing a young man or woman get a degree and go out into the world is the real W...Not some administrative decision.
Good comments.
 #31148  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:17 pm
I'll never quit on these student-athletes...I didn't go to Furman, but Furman is where I grew up...It's home...It's Greenville...You other negative Nancys can go watch some over-hyped SEC program that's never going to win anything more than Furman has already won for all I care...Quitting on student athletes when there are things out of their control is unacceptable...Furman is more than the present, it's a past and a future...Get y'all's minds right....Here's something that Nostradamus or Jesus can confirm as an accurate prophecy...South Carolina and Ole Miss definitely aren't winning national titles in revenue sports before armageddon...I can guarantee that's as accurate as the coming of the anti-christ predicted in revelation....But go on, please support those awesome beacons of winning traditions....So, Furman will always have more football national titles than either....No matter if Methusalah lived his life over three times again...You might as well go support Sewanee,...They were unbeatable a century ago, and have probably won more than SC or Ole Miss ever will in the league.
I like your post overall, but I do NOT agree with your comment about UofSC never winning a National Championship in Football. If Clemson can win a National Championship in football, UofSC will win one, or two, or three, or they will die trying. UofSC certainly has superior financial resources over Clemson, superior fan and and student and alumni support, at least equal access to the same prospective athletes, and membership in the mighty SEC, as well as the burning desire to win a National Championship in Football.
As as Ole Miss, yes, they have more challenges than UofSC.
Carolina will have to go undefeated in SEC play just to make the playoffs since they have a guaranteed loss to Clemson every year. Although I will say that they, like Clemson, have a win over Saban. But Ole Miss has 2. And now we have Lane Kiffin who will be awesome (unless he sucks and gets run off after a year).
 #31200  by Flagman
 Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:32 pm
We're all disappointed in what has occurred within our athletic department over that past several months. That is obvious from the many comments made here. It's time for us to move on. Several members of this forum have been especially critical of our university administration, often pushing conspiracies that somehow President Davis has an agenda to eliminate athletics at Furman. These posts are surely made out of frustration with our present situation, especially as it compares to other SoCon teams who have chosen to play football this fall. These accusations are not based in fact or even on "insider" information. It's important for each of us to remember that this is not a "members only" forum. It is open to the public to read. We need to consider how our comments might be interpreted by potential recruits and their parents. Some of these negative comments could potentially hurt our chances of recruiting top athletes. It's time to support our university, not tear it down. Whether you believe that COVID-19 is real or just a media hype is beside the point.
FUKA61, fufanatic, Roundball and 3 others liked this
 #31212  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:00 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:32 pm
We're all disappointed in what has occurred within our athletic department over that past several months. That is obvious from the many comments made here. It's time for us to move on. Several members of this forum have been especially critical of our university administration, often pushing conspiracies that somehow President Davis has an agenda to eliminate athletics at Furman. These posts are surely made out of frustration with our present situation, especially as it compares to other SoCon teams who have chosen to play football this fall. These accusations are not based in fact or even on "insider" information. It's important for each of us to remember that this is not a "members only" forum. It is open to the public to read. We need to consider how our comments might be interpreted by potential recruits and their parents. Some of these negative comments could potentially hurt our chances of recruiting top athletes. It's time to support our university, not tear it down. Whether you believe that COVID-19 is real or just a media hype is beside the point.
Just want to point out that, though FUBeAR is FIRMLY in the #LetThemPlay camp, I have not specifically criticized any of the individuals who have made the decision that Furman will not play Football this Fall. I’ve even made a conscious effort to avoid “Liking” posts that do so, even if I agree with much of the other content of the posts. I agree with you that it is inappropriate to call out OUR (big) Team in that way. If you happen to find a post where I did what I’m agreeing we should not do, please delete it.

That said, I have been & will continue to be critical of EVERY school, conference, and division that made that same decision. I will continue to point out the lack of logic in the decision, cite articles and statistics related to the various risks involved, etc. I do not subscribe to the thoughts /directions that we need to ‘move on’ or that we’re ‘grasping at straws’ by stating our opinions on these decisions.

We all KNOW these Boards are read by people that make these decisions, even though they will all deny that they ever read them. We will be making decisions again this spring and maybe even next Fall. If what we say here can, in any way, have some impact on those decisions, then as long as Stumpy will allow, we need to share our opinions here, tactfully, if we feel inclined to do so.

And, I don’t think it’s as binary as you stated. FUBeAR believes Covid-19 is real AND FUBeAR believes the media has overhyped it AND FUBeAR believes Political / Government Officials from the highest to the lowest-level have leveraged it to tell whatever story they want to tell that day. True story - my neighborhood’s trash pickup didn’t happen one day. When we called and asked why...you know the answer...Covid. This was early days..when pressed further, the Supervisor said 1 guy thought he might have it, so they decided they couldn’t come to work for a couple of weeks. The trash was picked up the next day...NextDoor (a forum...like this one...kinda sorta).. can be a powerful Covid “cure” it seems.

Thanks for all you do Flag & all you’ve done...agree we need to be WAY more careful with our words. Don’t agree that we need to stop using them.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.