• 2021 Commitment

#31074  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:35 pm
Somewhere I was told no more partials… Athletic or Academic.

Just a guess - all you have to do is look at who is offering some of the players who've committed in the last couple of years and we're targeting very high-academic players. Most of the commits this season have offers from multiple Ivies.

I'd think the coaches can come up with some creative ways to balance players.
 #31081  by Paul C
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:51 am
I believe we can still do partials....I just think I heard we can't co mingle academic and athletic money....
 #31084  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
I believe we can still do partials....I just think I heard we can't co mingle academic and athletic money....
Unless there is some other form of aid, partials aren’t much help. Half price at FU is still unaffordable. And FU is notorious for being tight-fisted with aid.
 #31092  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Paul C wrote:
That would REALLY suck as this is a way to make things work for players that have been great student in high school. Was this always the case that we couldn't co-mingle these two or is this a new thing??
 #31093  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:11 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
That would REALLY suck as this is a way to make things work for players that have been great student in high school. Was this always the case that we couldn't co-mingle these two or is this a new thing??
I believe commingling is now allowed. Expect to see Alabama and LSU start discovering lots of 4 stars they’ll bring in on academic scholarships.
*Actually no they won’t need to since they can easily find 150 fb scholarships if scholarship limits are gone.
 #31094  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Why on God's green earth could you not co-mingle academic and athletic money? Especially at a school that is trying to excel at academics and sports. You have two outstanding students who are also outstanding players. Each gets a 1/2 academic and 1/2 athletic scholarship. You save 1 athletic scholly for a player that can't qualify for an academic one and one academic scholly for a great student that does not play a sport. Does this only make sense to me?
 #31095  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:29 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Why on God's green earth could you not co-mingle academic and athletic money? Especially at a school that is trying to excel at academics and sports. You have two outstanding students who are also outstanding players. Each gets a 1/2 academic and 1/2 athletic scholarship. You save 1 athletic scholly for a player that can't qualify for an academic one and one academic scholly for a great student that does not play a sport. Does this only make sense to me?
I have generally found trying to understand scholarships at an FCS private school to be a futile endeavor.
 #31096  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:02 pm
I think I’ve got it sorted out.
You can give out the equivalent of 63 scholarships split among 85 guys total.
You can mix in academic money IF the guys:

-graduated top 10%
-had a 3.5
-made a 1200

Some of ours could do that but you have to take money away from somebody else.

But assuming the baseball guys all transferred, that money should be available which ends up making ED look like a genius.
 #31097  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:35 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

-graduated top 10%
-had a 3.5
-made a 1200

But assuming the baseball guys all transferred, that money should be available which ends up making ED look like a genius.
splitting 63 across 85 sounds right. Mixing ath. & acad. $’s sounds right.

Curious about your source for those parameters. Doesn’t sound wrong - makes sense - keeps schools from ‘calling’ ath $’s, acad. $’s - are those FU parameters or NCAA parameters? Not doubting - just curious - link to source?

BTW - I think there is also a 95 rule - used to be, at least - can only bring in 95 to camp before school starts - so, in a fully-funded program that has been able to get to 85 with a mix of ath/acad $’s, then can have 10 “Preferred Walk On’s” (PFW’s) in Pre-Season camp. Or, sometimes, a Team will have some kids that are in their last year (maybe 2 years) of eligibility, but don’t figure to make the 2-deep & they have been able to recruit more than the 10 PFW’s, so they’ll ‘uninvite’ the older kid(s).

Lots of variables, calculations & complex ‘people issues’ with schollie/roster management. Fi’n to get a WHOLE LOT more complex!
 #31098  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:12 pm
and >>>> from Twitter we got another TE commit!
 #31099  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

-graduated top 10%
-had a 3.5
-made a 1200

Curious about your source for those parameters. Doesn’t sound wrong - makes sense - keeps schools from ‘calling’ ath $’s, acad. $’s - are those FU parameters or NCAA parameters? Not doubting - just curious - link to source?

BTW - I think there is also a 95 rule - used to be, at least - can only bring in 95 to camp before school starts - so, in a fully-funded program that has been able to get to 85 with a mix of ath/acad $’s, then can have 10 “Preferred Walk On’s” (PFW’s) in Pre-Season camp. Or, sometimes, a Team will have some kids that are in their last year (maybe 2 years) of eligibility, but don’t figure to make the 2-deep & they have been able to recruit more than the 10 PFW’s, so they’ll ‘uninvite’ the older kid(s).

Lots of variables, calculations & complex ‘people issues’ with schollie/roster management. Fi’n to get a WHOLE LOT more complex!
https://usatodayhss.com/2017/how-athle ... ships-work
This could be out of date.
 #31100  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

-graduated top 10%
-had a 3.5
-made a 1200

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/how-athle ... ships-work
This could be out of date.
Cool - thanks - from 2017 - probably still fairly valid. The author is a former Northwestern Softball Player and has a solid collegiate athletics / high school recruiting background. Seems highly credible. I think the only thing unclear there is whether that 3.5 GPA is weighted or unweighted. I would guess weighted, but just a guess.
 #31101  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:21 pm
None of it really matters for the Dins because the story we’ve been telling is that we ain’t got no money. It bs but it’s our story and I assume we’ll stick with it.