• 2021 Commitment

#30979  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 pm
Geez… this is a helluva pickup - the DINS are having a helluva recruiting year.
Whittemore by my count had over 23 offers.
apaladin, Paladin82, FUKA61 liked this
 #30988  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:02 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:29 pm
#4 TE in Tennessee

https://gridironscouting.com/2020/05/26 ... -rankings/

Looks like a great fit.

Watching his film, his high school team used him much like Furman utilizes that position.
to your point > "These offers are impressive when you consider Landon plays in a Wing-T offense that doesn’t throw the ball much. “They use me mostly as a blocking TE. "

https://appalachiaprepcombine.com/the-f ... hittemore/
 #31017  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:59 pm
What we know >

Tommy Beuglas 6-1 225 MLB Buford, GA
Devin DuCille 5-11 220 RB Alpharetta, GA
Jace Wilson 5-10 170 QB Austin, TX
Joshua Harris 6-3 175 WR Kennesaw, GA*
Alex Maier 6-4 225 DE Fleming Island, FL
Bryce Stanfield 6-2 250 DE
Jason Gilliom 6-2 190 DB
Landon Whittemore 6-4 225 TE

Joshua Harris - has taken his pinned commit tweet down - so I'm not sure where we stand with him.
 #31027  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:59 am
remember it will get murky if we don't play in the spring and some seniors stay... Can't have two guys on one scholarhsip. This has to be the strangest recruiting year of all time. That said, I would rather have a superstud senior (say a Thomas Gordon from last year) stay than an unproven freshman
 #31030  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 am
gofurman wrote:
remember it will get murky if we don't play in the spring and some seniors stay... Can't have two guys on one scholarhsip. This has to be the strangest recruiting year of all time. That said, I would rather have a superstud senior (say a Thomas Gordon from last year) stay than an unproven freshman

If the NCAA holds true, they will grant the seniors an extra year of eligibility.

There is a more complex problem of roster size and scholarship availability. Even if the NCAA allows a school to keep all seniors on scholarships, could they afford to it?

Specifically to Furman, though, remember we have a relatively small senior class (15 players). There is always attrition every season from some redshirt juniors as well who forgo their final season of eligibility.

It is also my recollection that FCS schools, unlike FBS schools, can give partial athletic scholarships. There is also the concept of "grayshirting," where a player may wait until the spring to enroll as a full-time student. It would seem like Furman could get creative if it needed to.
 #31031  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 am
We’ve debated this before. scholarships are not real “costs” except maybe the fringe benefits.
 #31044  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

If the NCAA holds true, they will grant the seniors an extra year of eligibility.

There is a more complex problem of roster size and scholarship availability. Even if the NCAA allows a school to keep all seniors on scholarships, could they afford to it?

Specifically to Furman, though, remember we have a relatively small senior class (15 players). There is always attrition every season from some redshirt juniors as well who forgo their final season of eligibility.

It is also my recollection that FCS schools, unlike FBS schools, can give partial athletic scholarships. There is also the concept of "grayshirting," where a player may wait until the spring to enroll as a full-time student. It would seem like Furman could get creative if it needed to.
Jackal, For all intents and purposes, you are right... however, I happen to read the other day that FBS can technically give partials but 'why would they' as they can either give partials or full rides to 85 players. So the big boys give 85 full rides to get the best guys. FCS can have 85 guys on scholarship (with a total of 63 full scholarships) and could have 40 on full and 45 on partial but realistically that gives depth but almost no chance at a superb team vs the teams that give 63 Full rides. A kid will obviously almost always choose the full ride over the partial. So most FCS offer 50+ full rides and maybe a few partials and then some PWOs.
 #31045  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

* So, if I am reading this right, for one year we can have more than 63 scholarship players? We could have the new incoming freshman AND the seniors who return in 2021? is that correct?
 #31046  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:04 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

* So, if I am reading this right, for one year we can have more than 63 scholarship players? We could have the new incoming freshman AND the seniors who return in 2021? is that correct?

The best I was able to come up with is to look at what happened with college baseball.
 #31068  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am
But the number of scholarships allowed is still fuzzy. Doesn’t matter for FU because we know we can’t afford additional scholarships, and partials are pretty useless at such an expensive school. Probably best to just cut the seniors loose.

*Update-I’m now reading that the returning guys won’t count against scholarship limits next season. But we aren’t really in the adding scholarships mode. Wouldn’t be fair after the baseball thing.