• No 2020 Season

#30936  by aqualung
 Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Our collective balls have now been safely secured in the progressive liberals purse. Looks like they have won. I would like to congratulate the fair and unbiased media for this fantastic result. If you ever see me wearing a mask while driving in my car alone please blow my brains out. I'm too stupid to take up space on this planet.
apaladin, cavedweller2, furman88 and 4 others liked this
 #30940  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:00 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:05 pm
The Greenville News reported today that we are leaving the door open for some fall football. I wish they wouldn’t do that. Play or don’t, but don’t give us false hope. Do or don’t. Make a decision and stand by it. And if fans won’t be permitted, then just cancel everything.
I’m sure that article was written after the announcement and was based on JD comments Thursday and CCH and they were not privy to CCH’s tweet late a Friday afternoon. Would still like to know what changed so quickly in less than 24 hours. Of course we will never know.
 #30986  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 am
If there is no fall football season, blame it on the students coming to campuses, not on the media. Odds of a FBS season are dropping fast. Probably should have started the season before students came back to campus.
Another thoughtful piece in the P&C. Sapakoff: Cracks in ACC, SEC football COVID plans likely to get worse. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 9580b.html
 #30989  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am
Reporter from the Middletown, New York (northwestern NYC suburbs) Times Herald-Record (near West Point) is reporting Mercer FOOTBALL @ Army FOOTBALL on 10/10.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/spo ... 388086001/

* may be considered off topic. If so, Mods, please move or delete.
apaladin liked this
 #30990  by aqualung
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Reporter from the Middletown, New York (northwestern NYC suburbs) Times Herald-Record (near West Point) is reporting Mercer FOOTBALL @ Army FOOTBALL on 10/10.

First we eliminate baseball and lacrosse, now we cancel a football season while others forge ahead...just pathetic. For the first time in my life it's NOT great to be a Furman Paladin.
apaladin, cavedweller2, freebird and 5 others liked this
 #30991  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am
aqualung wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:

First we eliminate baseball and lacrosse, now we cancel a football season while others forge ahead...just pathetic. For the first time in my life it's NOT great to be a Furman Paladin.
Among other schools now making up Army’s revised schedule is FCS Abilene Christian University.
2 originally scheduled FCS schools, namely Princeton and Bucknell, had to cancel from Army’s schedule.
Affirm has long expressed wishes for Furman to play Army West Point, in football and also in basketball.
(BTW, Furman should additionally emulate Mercer by getting games against schools like Yale. Time to accept and acknowledge that we now “look up” to Mercer in various ways.)
 #30993  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 am
Roundball wrote:
If there is no fall football season, blame it on the students coming to campuses, not on the media. Odds of a FBS season are dropping fast. Probably should have started the season before students came back to campus.
Another thoughtful piece in the P&C. Sapakoff: Cracks in ACC, SEC football COVID plans likely to get worse. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 9580b.html
So athletes should all drop out so they won’t be exposed to students but it’s ok for students to be exposed to each other, is that it? Or should we just end higher education by sending everybody home (to infect their parents). Most people aren’t willing to keep paying college tuition for thrown together third rate online classes. I’m looking at being forced to do that and I’m pissed.

I haven’t seen a school opening horror story yet that wasn’t pretty bogus.
apaladin liked this
 #30997  by Flagman
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:25 pm
Since many colleges have yet to open fully, I am not surprised that you haven’t seen any horror stories. But you only have to look to Georgia is see the horror stories from high schools.
hypercycloid and 1 others liked this
 #30998  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Flagman wrote:
Since many colleges have yet to open fully, I am not surprised that you haven’t seen any horror stories. But you only have to look to Georgia is see the horror stories from high schools.

No argument will convince those that see the virus as a media construct and made up boogeyman.
 #30999  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

No argument will convince those that see the virus as a media construct and made up boogeyman.
I’ve never said the virus isn’t real. I’ve never even said it is just like the flu (although the flu is more dangerous for children). I don’t think anyone would argue with the fact that the majority of journalists do not want schools to open. Most don’t want colleges open or sports played. If you read at all you will pick up on this.

OK, so if schools need to be closed for Covid, and flu is more dangerous than Covid, how do we ever have school again? Please explain.
 #31000  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

I’ve never said the virus isn’t real. I’ve never even said it is just like the flu (although the flu is more dangerous for children).
LOL - it doesn’t matter anymore what you ACTUALLY say. C’mon, knowing that should be part of your mind-rightening process!

What’s important is that those who think they might disagree with something related to how they’ve perceived your opinion, can assign you (and their truncated perception / re-mis-statement of your opinion) to a pre-labeled box, where all people, who they’ve perceived have opinions related to yours in any way, are assigned.

Then, they can point at their pre-labeled box, and say how stupid all the people are who they’ve decided to assign to their pre-labeled box.

That’s called “critical thinking.”
 #31004  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:52 pm
You right. I started to get ideas and before I knew it my mind wasn’t right.
 #31005  by JohnKX512
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 am
Roundball wrote:
So athletes should all drop out so they won’t be exposed to students but it’s ok for students to be exposed to each other, is that it? Or should we just end higher education by sending everybody home (to infect their parents). Most people aren’t willing to keep paying college tuition for thrown together third rate online classes. I’m looking at being forced to do that and I’m pissed.

I haven’t seen a school opening horror story yet that wasn’t pretty bogus.

I agree with a lot here. If a student, faculty, or any citizen does not want to be exposed, then they should have the option to leave a situation. Actually, it is not OK for students to be exposed to the virus. That is the reason that many institutions have required masks, added safety measures, social distanced and included online learning.

And you are right, if these students are sent home they may spread to their parents and others. That is why most agree to self quarantine if you have been infected or possibly infected.

We are on the same page. Let's make sure we are quarantining and tracking cases. Isolating and using social distance. Then we can get back to normal. As you have pointed out, we are not back to normal and have a potential to increase spread.
 #31006  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:59 pm
My 20 year old should be hitting the peninsula of Chucktown right about now. The school has come out with rigid guidelines that I’m sure she will adhere to until tonight.
FUBeAR liked this
 #31007  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:04 pm
When this all started we were told we have to do this to flatten the curve so as to not overwhelm the health system. When that happens we can return to normal. That was and has been accomplished. Now it has turned into 330,000,000 peeps have to be “safe”. Everything should be back to normal now but it’s not even close and no end in sight.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.