• 2021 Recruiting

#30313  by furpop16
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm
The production quality of that tape is superb. Camera placement, focus, etc. Nothing amatuerish; very professional.

I'm curious for opinions of others, though, on the content. With the exception of one put-back, one block, one tie-up, and two long downcourt passes (one off a steal), it was all his drives, fakes, step-backs, & dunks. Maybe that's what "sells", but I'm surprised there were no front-court assists or even passes, especially for a putative point-guard. Does such an omission say more about the player or the tape editor?
 #30334  by FurmAlum
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm
The production quality of that tape is superb. Camera placement, focus, etc. Nothing amatuerish; very professional.

I'm curious for opinions of others, though, on the content. With the exception of one put-back, one block, one tie-up, and two long downcourt passes (one off a steal), it was all his drives, fakes, step-backs, & dunks. Maybe that's what "sells", but I'm surprised there were no front-court assists or even passes, especially for a putative point-guard. Does such an omission say more about the player or the tape editor?
Bob Richey/assistant coaches are no dummies. The tape looks great but they would never make an offer without seeing the kid play in person and getting to know him. The tape could get coaches to come see him for sure.
furpop16 liked this
 #30653  by PaladinPower
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm
Furman lands 2021 commitment from PF Tyrese Hughey! He is listed at 6'7" and 210 pounds. With him, Alex Williams, and James Lee Repass, this recruiting class is BIG, TOUGH, and will be a force in the paint. This may finally be the year that the Furman staff uses all the scholarships, which is fine by me. Here is the latest highlight tape I could find.

#30654  by Paul C
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:26 pm
This kid reminds me of Jalen Slawson in build and athletic ability. VC has him listed at 6-7/210.

Had offers from virtually the whole MAC (Kent St, Akron, MiamiOH, BGSU, Eastern Mich, Toledo) as well as Duquesne and UNCW.

Along with Alex Williams, this means we have commits from 2 of the top 20 players in the state of Ohio and the #3 and #4 PF (although I think Williams plays more wing with his handle and 40% 3pt range)

https://tripledoubleprospects.com/2021-player-rankings/
 #30675  by tya1
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:51 pm
My immediate reaction to watching some videos of Hughey in action is that his skills and playing style are a very good fit for what we have been doing the past few years. He runs the court great, with speed and explosiveness and can also score from the post or go outside and pop the jumper. Is also active on defense out on the wing away from the basket.

Jalen Slawson is a good comparison.

Has a three star rating from 247Sports. Could challenge for some quick playing time as a freshman at small forward and could easily play power forward when we go with a smaller, fast lineup
fufanatic liked this
 #30676  by edwards555
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 pm
This player runs the court really well and his skill set is above that of most of our recruits. Now if he can take the next step and play some D and improve his shot he can be a big time player for us.
I wonder how much the MAC and Big 10 shutting down fall sports helped in his recruiting.
Furman is becoming a force in Ohio basketball. Add the two signees to Davis, Beans, and Bothwell and we are becoming a force in the state.
furpop16, FUKA61, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #30682  by Fuonetime
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:15 am
Great news on recruiting success in Ohio. Which assistant is primarily responsible for recruiting Ohio? Growe?
 #30820  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:15 am
Great news on recruiting success in Ohio. Which assistant is primarily responsible for recruiting Ohio? Growe?
That would be my guess.
Fuonetime liked this
 #30838  by tya1
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Elijah Tucker, 6'5" forward from Canton, GA, committed to Xavier. Very athletic player who may redshirt at Xavier, according to some reports.
 #30847  by Paul C
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
tya1 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Elijah Tucker, 6'5" forward from Canton, GA, committed to Xavier. Very athletic player who may redshirt at Xavier, according to some reports.
With a post player and 2 versatile F's committed, if we use the 4th scholarship logic would say it's a G.

After Alex Hunter graduates we will hopefully turn the "keys" over to Joe Anderson, with Colin Kenney able to play some backup at both G spots. I could see us bringing in a PG to RS
Fuonetime liked this
 #30862  by Monday
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:58 pm
Will Richard signed with Belmont. He was our first 2021 offer.

I have a very good feeling JP Pegues will be filling out our extremely strong recruiting class soon.
Fuonetime liked this
 #31232  by tya1
 Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 pm
Just checking on some offered recruits...

There are conflicting stories about Jarvis Moss. Some indicate he will make his college choice tomorrow (8/27.) Others say he may delay his choice because of new interests. Pittsburgh has been talking to him. Wofford, Northeastern, Davidson, Auburn, Wake Forest and others with contacts.

Jaylen Pegues has gained new offers from Wofford and Chattanooga in the past week of so.

Jake Heidbreder has gradually gained new offers. Most recently from Southern Illinois, Idaho, and Evansville. His list is up to 9 now on Verbal Commits.
 #31255  by tya1
 Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:39 pm
No commitment from Moss today, but Pegues has tweeted that he will make his commitment tomorrow at noon.