• Your odds of college football being played in the spring.

#30854  by purplehorse
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:32 pm
80% because I think we absolutely could have played in the fall. If Clemson and USC are playing we could have played.

NCAA and collegiate politics came into play here.

We will learn a lot from the ACC, SEC and Big 12 playing. I predict they will pave the way for the “scaredy-cats” to play in the spring.
 #30856  by Roundball
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:50 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:32 pm
80% because I think we absolutely could have played in the fall. If Clemson and USC are playing we could have played.

NCAA and collegiate politics came into play here.

We will learn a lot from the ACC, SEC and Big 12 playing. I predict they will pave the way for the “scaredy-cats” to play in the spring.
I predict these conferences will fold before kickoff day. Hope I'm wrong.
 #30857  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm
I agree with Roundball:1%. We have basically said (as a conference) this virus is dangerous so we can’t play. We didn’t give any idea of a quantitative risk level that would be safe. So any decision to play is going to look sort of arbitrary. The virus will still be around and it will still be dangerous (0.03 % chance of death) so “if something bad happens” what’s our defense? Given the fact that other viruses (like flu) have a similar risk for the age group and also cause high fevers and myocarditis I don’t see how you ever justify playing again.

By the way, if the other conferences do fold, it will clearly be because of media pressure since their medical people have already signed off. Hopefully they won’t try to blame it on that chubby IU kid. I’m sure he’s embarrassed enough that his mom killed the Big 10.
apaladin liked this
 #30869  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 pm
It looks like high school football will be played. Would someone like to weigh in on why high school football is safer than college football?

Debateable.

As of yesterday, Georgia has already pushed their season back several weeks and canceled all jamboree/scrimmage games.

According to their release, everything is couched "[o]ur plan as of today . . ." So, at least in Georgia (I would expect in most states) nothing is set in stone.

https://www.ghsa.net/latest-ghsa-statem ... -situation

The practical answer to your question is that Furman controls Furman. High Schools have to police themselves.
 #30870  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 pm
Would someone like to weigh in on why high school football is safer than college football?
no townies
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #30871  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:33 pm
In SC full fb practice starts on 9/8. They’re already practicing in smaller groups. Games on 9/25. I start NAHS Lady Jacket tennis Monday.

Maybe one difference is that we have parents sign waivers. Also, high schools aren’t run by pointy headed intellectuals.
 #30872  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:55 pm
I will be optimistic and say 5%. Which should be close to my level of interest. Assuming there is a fall football season next year, it will be almost 2 years between FU games. A lot of factors come into play, none of them good. That’s why 2-3 games this fall would have helped. On Radio Thursday evening CCH said they were and had been talking to teams. He said they would talk and think about it for a few days, return to practice, talk with the team and prolly know something the first of the week. So in less than 24 hours it became a no. I know we will never know but I wonder why the decision was made so quickly? IMHO I think ED got involved and nixed it. What else could it be? I know JD and CCH were at least willing to pursue it and would not have decided so quickly. I know playing 2-3 games would have been a pick me up for the players and been mentally healthy for us fans but I know us fans do not matter.
 #30920  by Furmanoid
 Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:20 am
What about next fall? I’ll say 90%, BUT what about spectators? It is hard to believe we can go from wearing masks to the mailbox now, to sitting in stadiums one year from now. Watched “Rudy” last night and couldn’t help but wonder if those packed stadiums are gone forever.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.