• Out of Conference Games?

#30806  by purplehorse
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:56 pm
Does anybody have any inside information at all about us playing any OOC games? I am very skeptical. If it allowed us to practice more vs. no practice and no games, maybe it would be worth pursuing. I will have to see a legitimate OOC schedule or game to believe the possibility.

I preferred an in conference season even if there were no OOC games. From strictly a fan’s point of view, it is hard to get excited about say 4 OOC games against nobody’s. Time will tell but I won’t hold my breath. Just a complete guess.

I wonder if FURMAN will just keep our season ticket money until spring or next year? I suspect so.
 #30807  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 am
purplehorse wrote:
Does anybody have any inside information at all about us playing any OOC games? I am very skeptical. If it allowed us to practice more vs. no practice and no games, maybe it would be worth pursuing. I will have to see a legitimate OOC schedule or game to believe the possibility.

I preferred an in conference season even if there were no OOC games. From strictly a fan’s point of view, it is hard to get excited about say 4 OOC games against nobody’s. Time will tell but I won’t hold my breath. Just a complete guess.

I wonder if FURMAN will just keep our season ticket money until spring or next year? I suspect so.
I would love to see that also. According to some at least UTC and Mercer are pursuing this. Personally I doubt FU will make the effort. FU does not have any ooc games now. UTC and Mercer still do. Wofford has said they are not doing it. I will be looking for a refund for season tix. I was told if the season didn’t happen they would refund. Zero chance of a spring season.
 #30809  by Roundball
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 am
purplehorse wrote:

I would love to see that also. According to some at least UTC and Mercer are pursuing this. Personally I doubt FU will make the effort. FU does not have any ooc games now. UTC and Mercer still do. Wofford has said they are not doing it. I will be looking for a refund for season tix. I was told if the season didn’t happen they would refund. Zero chance of a spring season.
Isn’t the game at Charleston Southern still scheduled? CS still has kickoff at 6:00. It shows as canceled on the Furman schedule.
Last edited by Roundball on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #30810  by Roundball
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 am
The P&C is reporting that the remaining SoCon teams that want to play are pursuing games against each other, as non-conference games.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30811  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:12 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 am
The P&C is reporting that the remaining SoCon teams that want to play are pursuing games against each other, as non-conference games.
Ohhhhh...That explains a somewhat cryptic comment made to me by a very reliable, well-placed, unnamed source in a very recent conversation.

FUBeAR’s Fact-o-Meter rates this P&C report, “Most Likely True”

...and gives the idea 2 SNAPS UP!!

...if only the P&C offered online subscriptions...
 #30812  by FU3
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 am
Furman currently is closed to everyone but staff and students. If this stays in effect no outside fans. I can’t imagine ESPN+ is going to carry the games because I believe the deal is with SoCon. Personally I would love to watch some Furman football however if there isn’t an opportunity for others to see these games the risk to reward for playing what would be uniformed scrimmages seems off.
 #30839  by purplehorse
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:55 pm
NCAA president thinks there can be spring ball. He says:

We can use the fall to keep kids healthy, keep them in engaged with their coaches and athletic departments, focus on their academic success, work with them, let them practice and stay ready to play."

That seems to say that football teams can keep practicing throughout the fall?

Certainly over time we will get some clarity on all his.
 #30842  by Flagman
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:22 pm
purplehorse wrote:
What world are you living in? They had five months to come up with some clarity. And look what they've come up with.
 #30843  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:36 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:22 pm
purplehorse wrote:
What world are you living in? They had five months to come up with some clarity. And look what they've come up with.

Bottom line, there are no good answers. You can't roundtable this and hold it up to the light. It's a bunch of bad options.
 #30853  by purplehorse
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:26 pm
Wow-CLARITY at 4:34 PM on 8/14- NO football games for FURMAN this fall. It seems to me that those teams who do play, like Citadel for instance, will move forward more so than teams who only practice.
 #30859  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:26 pm
Wow-CLARITY at 4:34 PM on 8/14- NO football games for FURMAN this fall. It seems to me that those teams who do play, like Citadel for instance, will move forward more so than teams who only practice.
I doubt anyone is going to play.

I don't think any program that has indicated a willingness to play out of conference has managed to maintain that position more than a few days.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.