• No 2020 Season

#30771  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm
No mention of ooc football so I guess that is that.
OOC games are allowed. “The Southern Conference Council of Presidents announced Thursday that the league will not have fall conference competition due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing for nonconference contests if desired.“
Any chance FU pursues that?
 #30772  by cavedweller2
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm
I knew buying those golf clubs was a good idea.
 #30774  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 pm
Jason Donnelly coming up soon on channel 4.
 #30776  by FurmAlum
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:38 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm
I knew buying those golf clubs was a good idea.
I was planning on playing golf and watching football. Oh well...
 #30777  by purplehorse
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 pm
It would be one thing if we sucked in basketball and football. But on the contrary we are heading upward in football and probably at about a 40 year peak in basketball. Very disappointed but not shocked at all. Obviously one could argue both ways. From a purely medical standpoint I think a lot of uncertainty and panic and that the legal/liability issues became a factor.

I will be surprised if an OOC schedule comes to fruition.
 #30779  by FurmAlum
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:04 pm
I will have to say I am not surprised. Who knows what the right thing to do really is but the SoCon took the conservative route. I guess the liability is just too great as JK so eloquently pointed out.

I don't get the "it's O.K. to have non-conference games". Is that supposed to be safer? Of course not. My take on that is now the liability is on each individual institution and not on the SoCon, if non-conference games are played. Is that correct?

Is the OVC still in?

So the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Sunbelt are the only FBS conferences that are playing? Maybe a couple others?

So it comes down to money. ACC, SEC, B-12 are willing to risk "the health and safety of their student athletes" but the smaller schools are not, because of all the money to be made thru T.V. contracts in the FBS.

But wait a minute, the FCS can have non-conference games so they are willing to risk "the health and safety of their student athletes" as long as they can make a bunch of $$$$ playing an FBS team, right?

But the Duke doctor says they have it handled and football and fall sports can be done safely. Maybe the ACC, SEC, and B-12 have it right?

What a bunch of s***!

Only time will tell. All fellow UFFP'ers are free to weigh in with your opinions. (FUBeAR you are not really banned from the UFFP for your unpolitically correct opinions, are you?
Roundball, Choir Boy, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #30783  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:16 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I will have to say I am not surprised. Who knows what the right thing to do really is but the SoCon took the conservative route. I guess the liability is just too great as JK so eloquently pointed out.

I don't get the "it's O.K. to have non-conference games". Is that supposed to be safer? Of course not. My take on that is now the liability is on each individual institution and not on the SoCon, if non-conference games are played. Is that correct?

Is the OVC still in?

So the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Sunbelt are the only FBS conferences that are playing? Maybe a couple others?

So it comes down to money. ACC, SEC, B-12 are willing to risk "the health and safety of their student athletes" but the smaller schools are not, because of all the money to be made thru T.V. contracts in the FBS.

But wait a minute, the FCS can have non-conference games so they are willing to risk "the health and safety of their student athletes" as long as they can make a bunch of $$$$ playing an FBS team, right?

But the Duke doctor says they have it handled and football and fall sports can be done safely. Maybe the ACC, SEC, and B-12 have it right?

What a bunch of s***!

Only time will tell. All fellow UFFP'ers are free to weigh in with your opinions. (FUBeAR you are not really banned from the UFFP for your unpolitically correct opinions, are you?

I do not read it so much that keeping the door open to out of conference games is inconsistent. It is probably more a matter of who is in charge.

My guess is that college football teams are allowed to play a certain amount of games mandated by the NCAA. The Southern Conference sponsors 8 of those games. I do not believe the conference has any control over what you do with the remaining non-conference games.

Like last year, Furman played 12 games. Other SoCon schools played 11. The SoCon may not have much say in what a university does with its free time.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30784  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:18 pm
Choir Boy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 pm
In the old days you have an obstacle and the you fight through it. Today the obstacles are an excuse to whine, complain, quit, point fingers and hope for a new day to rinse and repeat all over again.
I see it the opposite, frankly.

The easy thing to do is to do what you've always done. The hard thing to do is to take a stand and go a different path.
FU3, hypercycloid, fufanatic liked this
 #30785  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:18 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
(FUBeAR you are not really banned from the UFFP for your unpolitically correct opinions, are you?
Guess not. I think I’ve reached “tenured status” or have “legacy member exemption” or something like that.

They haven’t torn down the FUBeAR statue in front of the TheUFFP World HQ yet, have they?
 #30786  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Mostly smaller institutions that can more aptly regulate their student body. The outlier there is Wofford, who I think is the only one of the smaller universities not identified.
Woffy clearly needs more time to implement the “new offense.”
 #30787  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:42 pm
If these conferences can’t explain the criteria for halting play, how can they make a defensible argument for resuming play? Do we just leave it to SI and the NYT? Experts say Covid is with us forever. The vaccine will be maybe 50% effective and not at all effective on obese people (some linemen). You can’t come up with a treatment that improves on a 99.97% survival rate. Procedures have been in place since June to deal with myocarditis. What do we have to do? I know the answer, but it isn’t worth it.
Choir Boy, apaladin liked this
 #30792  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:26 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:15 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 am
Hard to see how it could be 50/50 without us being a NO. And we probably have 2 votes since Citadel’s pride won’t let them bail unless we do. I imagine the Wofford prez is a NO but will be overruled by the team owner. VMI and Samford are Yeses. Chat has been talking a big show. WCU and ETSU strike me as poverty NO’s. I would think Mercer would be a yes. I’m gonna say it’s FU, Cit, ETSU, WCU and Chat saying NO and ending it.

But it’s looking like we will have Friday nights and a full slate of the best teams on Saturdays plus NFL on Sunday, so who cares?
Team Owner - LOL!

I’m 99.9999999999% sure Mercer is a “Yes”....more likely, an “H-E-double hockey sticks YES!”

I think Chatt, VMI, and Samford (just cuz FSU) are “Yesses”

If Uncle Jerry has the juice we believe he does in SparkleCity, that’s 5...If they separate Football from “Fall Sports” in their decisioning process, which they should; then UNCG shouldn’t get a vote & 5 “Yesses” wins the day to have some kind of Season.
UPDATE: From a reliable, well-placed, but unnamed source, you can remove the 0.0000000001% doubt FUBeAR had about whether or not Mercer wanted to play ball.

The Bears were ALL IN!

IF they can find some opponents, they’ll be playin’ some feetsball games this season.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.