• No 2020 Season

#30700  by Dirty South Sarge
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:38 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 am
MONEY. There will be no fans in the stands so they don't want to play and not make money. It is simple. MONEY
Television is the cake.. the fans and game day are the icing. For example.. every NFL team is in the black before the first fan even parks in that overpriced parking. Look at the Green Bay financials.. since their the only look-see we can get.
 #30701  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:20 am

Now I see where they added language to allow non-conference games in the fall. These conference decisions are messed up. They will not allow their teams to play each other for safety reasons, but its okay to play out of conference teams? How does that make sense?

There is no $ in FCS football.
Revenue - Costs (fixed + variable) = Profits OR (Losses)

$0 Revenue - Fixed Costs = (LOSSES = Fixed Costs)

$X Revenue - Costs (fixed + variable) = $X Profit of $Revenue > $Costs OR $X Losses (Costs > Revenue)

IOW - If, Revenue generated - Variable Costs > Fixed Costs, there IS “money in FCS Football” (I think that’s right. My Accounting 11 course @ FU was a few years back.)

Or...just discontinue Football & eliminate (almost) all Fixed Costs...eventually.

If you meant to say, “There is no (tangible) Profit $ in FCS Football”...the you are mostly correct.
 #30703  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am
We have become a nation of Chicken Little wimps and wussies.
THIS. CD I agree. - this politically-correct nation really concerns me. People saying "I am not 'short' - I am vertically challenged'... oh, get over yourself.. bunch of pansies.

Personal opinion.

I can make an argument that adults falling apart over the loss of watching other people play a game during a global pandemic demonstrates a greater lack of intestinal fortitude.
Honestly I’m not that concerned over watching FU football. I am concerned that the momentum of all these conferences closing down will eventually force even the SEC and my other alma mater to shut down. Setting aside the negative impact on tens of thousands of parents, athletes, business owners, etc, no college sports at all for the first time in 130 years is at least sort of a big deal isn’t it? When a course that radical is taken, it seems reasonable that a clear explanation should be given. The canned explanation everybody uses blames player safety. But coaches, players, presidents, Duke doctors and even you have called BS on that. So what is the explanation?

If HS bites the dust I will in fact fall apart. Two of the girls I coach have been out in this heat all summer getting ready for their senior year. I’ll be crushed for them and all seniors everywhere. A clear science-based explanation would help.
 #30704  by CharlieFU
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:11 pm
According to ESPN the ACC and SEC say their plans are unchanged. Urban Meyer and others have said there will not be any spring football. They say playing 2 seasons within a calendar year would be much more detrimental to players health than any virus thingy. Look up what Dabo said. He hits the nail on the head.
You're going after the straw man.

This is not specifically about the players. Sports media wants you to think its about the players because they have a lot invested in football. You think Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer don't have a lot of skin in the game of whether there's college football?

This is about more than just football.
I sort of agree. The “player safety” argument is turning out to be a straw man easily destroyed by dumb old athletes and coaches like Lawrence, Saban and Dabo. Even one university, Nebraska, called BS on it. But I’m pretty sure the sports media really believes it.

But if player safety is only a straw man that we mistakenly thought was the point (because that’s what the presidents say), what is the real point? Obviously this isn’t about student safety because students are moving in as we speak even in hot spots like SC.

Is it liability? That’s something I truly don’t understand. There is a pretty good list of known hazards that are associated with sports and cause life altering illness or death: heat stress, sudden cardiac death, CTE, MRSA, spinal injury (probably the most expensive possible in terms of medical care), rupturing of various internal organs, bus crash, plane crash etc. But for some reason sports were always played despite the liability. Why would liability be an issue now when a mountain of data exists showing that there is virtually no risk from Covid? And all the other problems I mentioned could be clearly tied back to sports participation. A Covid infection can’t be. Are lawyers just afraid that all jurors are hopelessly biased by the nonstop propaganda? I honestly don’t get it.

I suspect this isn’t about safety or liability. The map of cancelled vs not cancelled schools gives a pretty good hint what this is all about.
Can I call you as an “expert” witness when one of my clients gets sued?

As many have noted, it is hard to imagine the basis of such a lawsuit. But I am confident some crafty lawyers will whip up a decent theory. In theory, one basis of such suits would be the alleged failure of the institution to comply with relevant safety standards.

Whether we like it or not, there is an increased risk to the schools. Does that mean the risk is of such significance to cancel all fall sports? I don’t know. But I’m not ready to criticize those trying to do what is best for their schools.

What bothers me is the complete lack of leadership from NCAA. At a minimum they ought to insure relevant standards are followed— when a player has to sit or quarantine, for how long, conditions for return of player etc. Every major conference has their own medical advisory team. Are they collaborating at all? Sharing best practices? And the questions just go on and on.
 #30705  by cavedweller2
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
THIS. CD I agree. - this politically-correct nation really concerns me. People saying "I am not 'short' - I am vertically challenged'... oh, get over yourself.. bunch of pansies.

Personal opinion.

I can make an argument that adults falling apart over the loss of watching other people play a game during a global pandemic demonstrates a greater lack of intestinal fortitude.
Actually I have reached a point where I don't care whether they play or not. I have already spent the money I had budgeted for tickets, etc. on new golf clubs. Looking forward to spending my fall Saturday's on the golf course.
gofurman liked this
 #30706  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

Personal opinion.

I personally don't disagree. If it's truly for the greater good then I don't think we should play. Safety certainly outweighs football... I was just commenting on the politically-correct crap out there..

... and we could go on to other stuff like CHAZ CHOP where people actually think a non-police state is a good thing - guess what Seattle leftist IDIOTS? Power vacuums are always filled by another power (like Prohibition taught us as have so many other things). So then we have shootings there and some guy actually sues the police for not helping? THE IRONY OF IT ALL. Straight from liberal CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/chop- ... index.html
a portion: "Protesters wanted to end police violence against Black people by defunding the department by 50%. They argued armed officers shouldn't be called to respond to issues of mental health, homelessness, poverty. But once they created a police-free zone, they immediately had to deal with all those issues and more -- with only the donated time and supplies of fellow protesters, who still had day jobs. With police absent from the 6-square-block area, the experiment spun out of control, with accusations that it ended up causing exactly what it had aimed to stop: more violence against Black people."

rather ironicals, no? That place (Seattle) is a mess.. have a friend who had to pull her 3 kids out of school last year b/c as Christians they were being beat up and the teachers wouldn't defend them saying "Christians don't deserve protection" basically allowing the kids to get the sh*t kicked out of them each week. WTF??? ALL RELIGIONS - ALL - deserve their rights. But they will defend Muslims and Hindus and etc etc. Those people have lost their minds.
apaladin liked this
 #30707  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:59 pm
The Big10 offered no facts and figures and just generic/mundane reasons fir cancelling. Then they say practice can continue up to 20 hours as week. 😳 So practice is ok but games are not? The 2 conferences that have been hit with the players union/association bailed. Is that the reason? Could these conferences decision be politically motivated? Maybe. Just sayin’.
 #30708  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 pm
Btw- PC is out as expected. They were playing as an independant this year. Think they only had like 3-4 games scheduled. They will be full non-scholly next year. So FU is now down to 9 games if there is still even a remote chance of playing.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #30715  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm
Numbers in SC have been way down the last week. Hopefully a good sign.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #30716  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:18 pm
Btw- PC is out as expected. They were playing as an independant this year. Think they only had like 3-4 games scheduled. They will be full non-scholly next year. So FU is now down to 9 games if there is still even a remote chance of playing.
I know it sounds mean but again, I wish several other local schools would drop football. Just 3 schools of Furman's caliber or close would greatly increase the quality of our recruits. Consider if UNC-Charlotte, Kennesaw State and Mercer (no offense to FUBeAR) were to drop their programs... That would be 190 D1 caliber players available to schools within a southeastern area. We would probably get 5-10 of those? Every southeastern FCS school remaining would profit from that. SoCon, Big South, etc. Honestly, that would really change things. 2 play makers or one Dakota Dozier completely changes your team !!!

I guess it could happen w the pandemic.
 #30717  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm
Numbers in SC have been way down the last. Hopefully a good sign.
Not really.

South Carolina has among the lowest testing rates in the country (1.6/1000) and the lowest rate in the Southeast. So, they are testing fewer people than any other state in this part of the country.

While their positive cases are going down, the test positivity rate is still over 14% (it should be under 5%). Looking just at the number of cases isn't really helpful for South Carolina, because they test fewer people and still have a stubbornly high positivity rate; which means there are a lot of positive cases they aren't finding.

Compare South Carolina with Tennessee. Tennessee has a slightly larger population, but they are testing at a rate of 3.1/1000 with a positivity rate around 8%.

Yesterday, Tennessee added more positive tests than South Carolina, but is doing better than South Carolina because they are running nearly twice as many tests and has nearly half the positivity rate.

Again, I was a history major, but that's how I think this works.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tra ... /southeast
 #30719  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:02 pm
I don’t remember the last time anyone who anybody described as an expert said number of positive results was a decent indicator of where the disease is headed. For months now they’ve all said that hospitalizations, icu beds, ventilators and deaths are the best indicators. Even those aren’t great because the tests are sooo unreliable. But they have been dropping in SC for awhile now. Positives are also dropping in a very natural looking curve. When the best indicators are all dropping, most people see that as a sign of improvement. Even media outlets have grudgingly admitted that the worst appears to be over in our region. What does it take? New cases CANNOT and never will reach zero. That is scientifically impossible even if Covid 19 ceased to exist tomorrow!! Good grief, I’m not a doctor but I spent 30+ years sampling, ordering analyses, dealing with labs, doing data validation, data trending, report writing, GIS data mapping etc. Scientific data is scientific data. I don’t see how anybody can look at current SCDHEC data and not see clear improvement.
apaladin liked this
 #30720  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:13 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:02 pm
I don’t see how anybody can look at current SCDHEC data and not see clear improvement.
Blue tinted lenses have recently been scientifically proven to cut out 100% of positive rays.

* gotta get a few licks in before my banning takes effect. I guess Stumpy has that action set on an overnight batch process.
 #30721  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 am
Samford and WCU have games scheduled 3 weeks from tonight. App. St. just added Charlotte for a game Sept. 12th. They still have an opening for Sept. 19th.