• No 2020 Season

#30685  by cavedweller2
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 am
MONEY. There will be no fans in the stands so they don't want to play and not make money. It is simple. MONEY
 #30686  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am
Playing or not has nothing to do with the media or politics. It has everything to do with player safety, and the risk of getting sued for the next 5 to 10 years. I hope there is football, but don’t expect it. I just hope the NCAA is working on a plan for basketball. They certainly failed on football.
 #30687  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am
Ok your first sentence was obviously not serious. But I reluctantly agree about player safety. The season should be cancelled so that players would be no safer than the average student. If they play they will benefit from systemic safety inequality, and we can’t have that.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30688  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:08 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am
Ok your first sentence was obviously not serious. But I reluctantly agree about player safety. The season should be cancelled so that players would be no safer than the average student. If they play they will benefit from systemic safety inequality, and we can’t have that.
I stand by my first sentence. If the season is not played, it will be because our country had no plan of action to battle this virus. Add to that Americans stubbornness on wearing masks and social distancing, belief in ignorant conspiracy theories and the complete ineptness of the NCAA, puts us where we are today. I’ll say it again, if there is no football, we only have ourselves to blame. I agree completely with your points about players benefiting from playing. The safest place for them now is on campus and on the field. What happens when the rest of the students arrive on campus is the issue. There are no easy solutions for any of this. I refuse to judge those making the difficult decisions.
Dirty South Sarge liked this
 #30689  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:20 am

Now I see where they added language to allow non-conference games in the fall. These conference decisions are messed up. They will not allow their teams to play each other for safety reasons, but its okay to play out of conference teams? How does that make sense?

#30690  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 am
I really don’t get the risk of being sued for the next 5-10 years. So if an athlete gets a disease which no one can prove they got it playing a sport or even at a university they can now sue? This has never happened before so why is Covid different? If this is remotely possible why would regular students not have the same right?
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30691  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 am
According to the above reports tomorrow will be the end of it for FU football this year. Totally against spring football for more than one reason. Just wait until next year but I am really afraid we may never see another FU football game. From now on it will always be something because unlike the past everyone has to be “safe” now which of course is impossible. We no longer can deal with adversity like in the past. Now everyone shutters in fear. America has opened a can of worms that I am afraid can’t be stopped. Everyone has too many “daddy’s” now.
cavedweller2, Riz Dawg liked this
 #30692  by cavedweller2
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am
We have become a nation of Chicken Little wimps and wussies.
apaladin, Davemeister, Riz Dawg and 1 others liked this
 #30693  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am
Roundball wrote:

Now I see where they added language to allow non-conference games in the fall. These conference decisions are messed up. They will not allow their teams to play each other for safety reasons, but its okay to play out of conference teams? How does that make sense?

FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30694  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:04 am
Yes I’m afraid this might end up like hurricanes. Campbell evacuated the coast 30 years ago for the first time and now its an annual event. At least coastal residents are generally allowed to ignore the mandatory orders, but with sports you can’t play for the school if the school won’t let you. We may have to start textile leagues back up.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #30695  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
THIS. CD I agree. - this politically-correct nation really concerns me. People saying "I am not 'short' - I am vertically challenged'... oh, get over yourself.. bunch of pansies.
apaladin liked this
 #30696  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:17 am
I was depressed, now I am deeply depressed. I just wonder when everyone gives up will the ACC, SEC and Big 12 be able to go it alone. If they do I hope they collect the payouts due them from those cancelled ooc games.
 #30697  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:37 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
THIS. CD I agree. - this politically-correct nation really concerns me. People saying "I am not 'short' - I am vertically challenged'... oh, get over yourself.. bunch of pansies.

Personal opinion.

I can make an argument that adults falling apart over the loss of watching other people play a game during a global pandemic demonstrates a greater lack of intestinal fortitude.
Dirty South Sarge, Mr. Taggart, JohnW and 2 others liked this
 #30698  by FurmAlum
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:09 pm
The hypocrisy of all this is crazy. The Big South says "With the health and well-being of it's student athletes as its top priority" it is going to cancel all fall sports. But will allow 4 non-conference games. DUH.

If the health and well-being of it's student athletes were the Big South's top priority wouldn't they cancel all fall sports, period?

Why will no one in the media challenge this?

I hope the SoCon does not go this route. Either play or don't play.
Roundball, FUBeAR liked this
 #30699  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am
Roundball wrote:

There is no $ in FCS football.