• No 2020 Season

#30622  by FurmAlum
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:30 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 am
I have never read such nonsense in my life!

The pandemic has exposed the under belly of our society. We as individuals care only about ourselves. It's all about me. Not what happens to other people. We don't really care about others. All we want is what's ours. The individual reigns supreme! Don't bother me with the deaths and illnesses of others. Let's just make sure we play football, almighty football, by damn it. No way a panty waist snowflake gonna make me wear a mask! No sir! it is MY RIGHT not to wear one,. Everybody else be damned. You think I exaggerate? I beg to differ. Do you really think Fauci and the rest of the scientists are politically motivated and do not care about how this "plague" is controlled? The media has hyped this beyond belief. But is not their fault we are in this situation. Leadership has been lacking on both the state and federal level. But Trump does not shoulder all the blame either. The blame rests squarely at the feet of every one of us. Our failure to do what we have been asked to do has created this mess.

Whatever happened to a national collective will to beat this thing? Why cant we pull together, and think about someone or something other than ourselves? Why are we not looking out for each other? Why not wear a mask just as a courtesy? As a sign of respect for the least of those among us? For your neighbor who has COPD or diabetes? No, you do not know that they have underlying illnesses necessarily, but that's the point! Do it anyway. I totally get the fine line we walk between opening up and at same time maintaining some reasonable precautions. It's not easy. But we have to try, and we haven't been.

Even if you are not guided by some religious principals, whether Christianity or other faith traditions, doesn't basic human decency, just a little morality, demand that we do better?
I kinda have to agree with you Charlie. I think you hit the nail on the head as much as I hate to admit it.

As for football, I could live without it this fall if I have to especially if that is best from a health standpoint for everyone. But I don't think not having football is going to help anything. And I feel bad for all the players and coaches that have put all the blood, sweat, and tears into it and worked so hard. So I still say Play Ball!

As for FuBEAR's survey, I would be a 1. I have worn my mask and socially distanced.

But I have also worked a normal/abbreviated schedule, been on 2 vacations, played at least 35 rounds of golf since March, including 3 tournaments, been out to eat 2-3 times a week, and done virtual Church. The point being is I have been able to live a fairly normal life without getting this virus. All it takes is a little common sense and some social distancing for a lot of people. Now I know I could get it tomorrow.

Unfortunately, not everyone has a job and living environment where they can social distance and to JK's point, not everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing, ie... wearing masks and social distancing.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30624  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:48 pm
FurmAlum > I'm a ONE also. All I can speak to is my actions — in my case it's absolutely the right thing to do. I'm a diabetic, I have elderly parents, I have an amazing grandson, and I have to protect myself and protect the people I love.

I've had several international business trips cancelled, an extended family vacation planned for almost two years cancelled. It sucks. I'm not happy about any of this but I believe and trust my doctor's recommendations as well as my family members that work in multiple-medical fields.

I'm also not looking forward to fall/winter > with only 37% of Americans getting a flu shot we could be in for some crazy.

I just hope the players get a say in what happens - it appears the DINS want to play. I hope they get the chance fall and or spring.
FUBeAR, hypercycloid liked this
 #30625  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:46 pm
I assume this is a good sign that FU is planning on participating in fall sports with both soccer teams now in camp. IF most conferences cancel football there are teams wanting to play and are free to do so. Even the Big10 has teams saying they will play even if the conference does not. It appears there will be no FCS playoffs maybe FU can land a bowl bid. :D Nick Saban just came out and said players are not going to catch Covid on the football field, they are going to catch it on campus.
 #30627  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:46 pm
On Paul Feinbaum today the story was that myocarditis has spooked all of the college presidents. Something like 10-15 athletes throughout college and pro sports have been diagnosed with it after Covid. Sudden cardiac death is already a big enough problem in athletes that SCHSL makes us train on it every year, and myocarditis is responsible about 20% of the time. So Covid may be adding some unknown and unknowable amount to a preexisting problem in sports. Viruses like herpes (cold sores) and adenovirus (bronchitis) cause myocarditis. But with Covid there is so much testing during the illness that myocarditis is pretty likely to be detected if present. It probably wouldn’t be detected if you just got bronchitis. You’d just go out and have a heart attack at practice (but it’s ok because it isn’t Covid).

So anyway supposedly that will be the justification for cancelling. But once it gets talked about and the myocarditis issue is widely known about, I don’t see how you ever play again because athletes will always die from myocarditis Covid or no Covid.
 #30630  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 am
Cases were down again by 300 in S.C. on Monday. Just over 700 cases, much lower than it has been. When this all started the premise was to not overload the health systems. That was accomplished. Now the obsession is cases and the vast majority of those are irrelevant but it now seems we have to eliminate the virus before things can return to normal. The new norm is no one can get sick from anything. Everyone has to be “safe“. Ridiculous. The world is not a “safe” place, never has been, never will be.
dornb liked this
 #30633  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:41 am
James Madison and Elon are out. Holding out hope for a season, but except for the ACC and the SEC, it looks bleak. Administrators are not going to take the risk. Hope I’m wrong.
 #30634  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:40 am
 #30635  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:53 am
 #30636  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:25 am
apaladin wrote:
Cases were down again by 300 in S.C. on Monday. Just over 700 cases, much lower than it has been. When this all started the premise was to not overload the health systems. That was accomplished. Now the obsession is cases and the vast majority of those are irrelevant but it now seems we have to eliminate the virus before things can return to normal. The new norm is no one can get sick from anything. Everyone has to be “safe“. Ridiculous. The world is not a “safe” place, never has been, never will be.
At this rate of testing, I wonder how low the new case number can go. It may not be possible to get below 100 or so even if the virus is completely gone. Nobody knows. But since deaths and cases are slowing down the story has predictably shifted to side effects. The media and the experts should be able to generate a bigger panic than ever with that one.
apaladin, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #30638  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 am
I’ve never been a bigger fan of Dabo and Trevor Lawrence than I am right now. Their opinions can change the negative talk of no season. Pulling for the Tigers to pull us through with a fall season of football, even if it means no fans.
apaladin, FUBeAR, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #30641  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:47 am
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:
At this rate of testing, I wonder how low the new case number can go. It may not be possible to get below 100 or so even if the virus is completely gone. Nobody knows. But since deaths and cases are slowing down the story has predictably shifted to side effects. The media and the experts should be able to generate a bigger panic than ever with that one.

The numbers are going to ebb and flow. The seven day moving average for test positivity in SC has not dipped below 12% since mid-June. It needs to be lower than 5% for a sustained period of time.

It is the fishing analogy - if you drop a small net (testing) in the water and pull up a bunch of fish, odds are you haven't caught all of the fish (or even close to all of them)

If you drop a big net in the water (a lot of testing) and pull up a few fish (positive tests), you've got a pretty good idea you have most of the fish.
gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #30643  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 am
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I'm not a statistician, but "case" is not equivalent to "test."

If tests are slowing down, you are moving in the wrong direction.
 #30644  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 am
Roundball wrote:
James Madison and Elon are out. Holding out hope for a season, but except for the ACC and the SEC, it looks bleak. Administrators are not going to take the risk. Hope I’m wrong.
The reason JMU is out is because no one would play them. Not the virus. According to JMU no P5, no G5 etc.. They could not find games which is understandable. If you were a P5 or G5 would you want to play them?
 #30646  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:49 am
Furmanoid wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I'm not a statistician, but "case" is not equivalent to "test."

If tests are slowing down, you are moving in the wrong direction.
Cases (positives) are going down. The point is that if you maintain the current rate of testing you may never get below “new case” numbers that some find frightening. That’s because even a low false positive rate in a huge number of tests will generate a pseudo plateau that isn’t real. I just wonder where that plateau will be. Seems like something the experts would care about, but they don’t.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30647  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:22 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 am
Roundball wrote:
The reason JMU is out is because no one would play them. Not the virus. According to JMU no P5, no G5 etc.. They could not find games which is understandable. If you were a P5 or G5 would you want to play them?

As I noted earlier, it's not college football's job to bail out James Madison's scheduling problems.

At the moment, not many teams are looking to add out of conference games regardless of the opponent.