• No 2020 Season

#30583  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:01 pm
There are reports now that even the P5 's are going to cancel football. A few meetings on Monday and its over. It's going to be no fall football Saturdays at all. That is going to be hard to get used to. Again, cacelling football will not change/ help anyone but sure will have a demoralizing effect on many.
 #30584  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:09 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:43 pm
I think the dominoes start falling in a big way tomorrow. Despite the fact that I think there is fear monger ing here and looking at worse case scenarios I think logistically trying to pull off this off -playing football this year-would be a nightmare.

If we lived the rest of our lives based on this type of fear, no one would ever go to a hospital, have surgery, drive a car etc. I mean there are risks with about anything in life.

I think the dominoes will start fall fast and furiously.

That’s just it, though. If most of the country would take this virus seriously for a few weeks we’d be watching football. Look at the numbers - watch the spikes after Memorial Day and July 4th. People couldn’t be bothered putting their social calendar and vacations on hold.

I’d feel differently if we as a society were not told in March what was needed. Everyone has just ignored that for months and are now aghast that the result predicted to happen has happened.
Roundball, AstroDin, 76MrMoto and 4 others liked this
 #30585  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
I think the dominoes start falling in a big way tomorrow. Despite the fact that I think there is fear monger ing here and looking at worse case scenarios I think logistically trying to pull off this off -playing football this year-would be a nightmare.

If we lived the rest of our lives based on this type of fear, no one would ever go to a hospital, have surgery, drive a car etc. I mean there are risks with about anything in life.

That’s just it, though. If most of the country would take this virus seriously for a few weeks we’d be watching football. Look at the numbers - watch the spikes after Memorial Day and July 4th. People couldn’t be bothered putting their social calendar and vacations on hold.

I’d feel differently if we as a society were not told in March what was needed. Everyone has just ignored that for months and are now aghast that the result predicted to happen has happened.
Cancelling football when it looks like we may be turning the corner. SC had the lowest number of cases in over 2 weeks, deaths are down, hospitilizations, and positive percentage are also down. Same for NC.
 #30587  by Roundball
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:45 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

Cancelling football when it looks like we may be turning the corner. SC had the lowest number of cases in over 2 weeks, deaths are down, hospitilizations, and positive percentage are also down. Same for NC.
The masks are working. If we had been serious about masks early on, playing football would not have been in question. At this point, we have to hope people continue to wear masks so we can basketball.
 #30589  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:30 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

The masks are working. If we had been serious about masks early on, playing football would not have been in question. At this point, we have to hope people continue to wear masks so we can basketball.
How could masks be working? According to you and a couple of others, nobody wears them. And besides the downward trends started weeks ago: about the time the news said SC was the worldwide epicenter of Covid because we “opened too fast” and we all ignored the CDC. It was a couple of days before that Greenville doctor did his little speech. I predicted the timing of that downturn around the first of July. I remembered the explanation of the waveform we were given during the NYC crisis and how the peak was predicted almost to the day. Remember, it had nothing to do with masks, just the natural shape of the curve. When the steep acceleration starts, you are almost done. But I knew people would send the masks back through the time tunnel so masks could get credit. It’s all becoming so predictable.

Things are getting better because they always do. If there were epidemics that accelerated infinitely (like the media seems to think this can) people would have gone extinct years ago.

This one is mainly different because somebody said “test,test,test” and it caught on. Using hastily developed testing that can’t be validated, we generate huge numbers of asymptomatic or perhaps false positives that are reported breathlessly while the overall downward trend in deaths is on the back page. It is intentionally generated blind panic at this point, and anyone who doesn’t play along wholeheartedly is somehow to blame- completely circular. That’s why we’ve lost all sports, church and maybe even education. It has absolutely ZERO to do with some individual you don’t like who doesn’t wear a mask.
aqualung, FUBeAR, apaladin and 3 others liked this
 #30591  by Roundball
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:57 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

How could masks be working? According to you and a couple of others, nobody wears them. And besides the downward trends started weeks ago: about the time the news said SC was the worldwide epicenter of Covid because we “opened too fast” and we all ignored the CDC. It was a couple of days before that Greenville doctor did his little speech. I predicted the timing of that downturn around the first of July. I remembered the explanation of the waveform we were given during the NYC crisis and how the peak was predicted almost to the day. Remember, it had nothing to do with masks, just the natural shape of the curve. When the steep acceleration starts, you are almost done. But I knew people would send the masks back through the time tunnel so masks could get credit. It’s all becoming so predictable.

Things are getting better because they always do. If there were epidemics that accelerated infinitely (like the media seems to think this can) people would have gone extinct years ago.

This one is mainly different because somebody said “test,test,test” and it caught on. Using hastily developed testing that can’t be validated, we generate huge numbers of asymptomatic or perhaps false positives that are reported breathlessly while the overall downward trend in deaths is on the back page. It is intentionally generated blind panic at this point, and anyone who doesn’t play along wholeheartedly is somehow to blame- completely circular. That’s why we’ve lost all sports, church and maybe even education. It has absolutely ZERO to do with some individual you don’t like who doesn’t wear a mask.
Masks work. Just get over it and accept that fact. Carry on.
MNORM liked this
 #30592  by FU3
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 am
The “predictions” on this site are fascinating when you read some posts from the early spring until now. The number of times this pandemic was a media invention, never going to happen, all over ... numerous times ( a strangely recurring theme given the over 160 k deaths with a 1,000 plus new ones daily).In the end we are the richest nation on earth that by almost any metric has had the worst outcome of any wealthy country.
Roundball, JohnW, AstroDin and 5 others liked this
 #30594  by Roundball
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:15 am
FU3 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 am
The “predictions” on this site are fascinating when you read some posts from the early spring until now. The number of times this pandemic was a media invention, never going to happen, all over ... numerous times ( a strangely recurring theme given the over 160 k deaths with a 1,000 plus new ones daily).In the end we are the richest nation on earth that by almost any metric has had the worst outcome of any wealthy country.
Yes. Here are a couple of doozies from a poster.

"Just imagine if back in October the media began giving daily totals for flu infections and deaths and talking about it for 30 minutes on the news? Those totals make the covid-19 cases look like a drop in the bucket. By all means lets keep the hysteria going."

"US deaths already at 1,300 people, and increasing.
US cases already at 86,000, and increasing.
All precautions and cooperation that have been applied, and more, are warranted and necessary.
Prayers for all.

"Pales by comparison when compare it to nearly 30 million US fku cases."

Even though it was meant to be a jab at the prediction, this was was spot on. "Now Doctor Debbie Brix has come out with a prediction of 100 to 200k U.S. deaths. Currently it is about 2,500. A long way to go. If they are even close there will be no sports this year and the country will be in chaos by then."

Then there were all the posts about warm weather and UV rays.
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #30595  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:46 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

I'm not sure where this argument leads, but South Carolina's numbers are still not "good." Their positivity rate has pretty steadily been between 10-15%.

It is sort of like needing an A and getting excited you got a D instead of an F. It's better than what it was, but nowhere close to what you need.

Besides, while South Carolina's rates are relevant, they are far from dispositive. Remember, Furman's student population is mostly not from South Carolina (one website says just over 25% of students are SC natives). The football team is mostly not from South Carolina.
 #30596  by CharlieFU
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 am
I have never read such nonsense in my life!

The pandemic has exposed the under belly of our society. We as individuals care only about ourselves. It's all about me. Not what happens to other people. We don't really care about others. All we want is what's ours. The individual reigns supreme! Don't bother me with the deaths and illnesses of others. Let's just make sure we play football, almighty football, by damn it. No way a panty waist snowflake gonna make me wear a mask! No sir! it is MY RIGHT not to wear one,. Everybody else be damned. You think I exaggerate? I beg to differ. Do you really think Fauci and the rest of the scientists are politically motivated and do not care about how this "plague" is controlled? The media has hyped this beyond belief. But is not their fault we are in this situation. Leadership has been lacking on both the state and federal level. But Trump does not shoulder all the blame either. The blame rests squarely at the feet of every one of us. Our failure to do what we have been asked to do has created this mess.

Whatever happened to a national collective will to beat this thing? Why cant we pull together, and think about someone or something other than ourselves? Why are we not looking out for each other? Why not wear a mask just as a courtesy? As a sign of respect for the least of those among us? For your neighbor who has COPD or diabetes? No, you do not know that they have underlying illnesses necessarily, but that's the point! Do it anyway. I totally get the fine line we walk between opening up and at same time maintaining some reasonable precautions. It's not easy. But we have to try, and we haven't been.

Even if you are not guided by some religious principals, whether Christianity or other faith traditions, doesn't basic human decency, just a little morality, demand that we do better?
AstroDin, The Jackal, din23 and 6 others liked this
 #30599  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:36 pm
CharlieFU wrote:

The pandemic has exposed the under belly of our society. We as individuals care only about ourselves. It's all about me. Not what happens to other people. We don't really care about others. All we want is what's ours. The individual reigns supreme! Don't bother me with the deaths and illnesses of others. Let's just make sure we play football, almighty football, by damn it. No way a panty waist snowflake gonna make me wear a mask! No sir! it is MY RIGHT not to wear one,. Everybody else be damned. You think I exaggerate? I beg to differ. Do you really think Fauci and the rest of the scientists are politically motivated and do not care about how this "plague" is controlled? The media has hyped this beyond belief. But is not their fault we are in this situation. Leadership has been lacking on both the state and federal level. But Trump does not shoulder all the blame either. The blame rests squarely at the feet of every one of us. Our failure to do what we have been asked to do has created this mess.

Whatever happened to a national collective will to beat this thing? Why cant we pull together, and think about someone or something other than ourselves? Why are we not looking out for each other? Why not wear a mask just as a courtesy? As a sign of respect for the least of those among us? For your neighbor who has COPD or diabetes? No, you do not know that they have underlying illnesses necessarily, but that's the point! Do it anyway. I totally get the fine line we walk between opening up and at same time maintaining some reasonable precautions. It's not easy. But we have to try, and we haven't been.

Even if you are not guided by some religious principals, whether Christianity or other faith traditions, doesn't basic human decency, just a little morality, demand that we do better?
Good, aggressive cut, but swing-and-a-miss, methinks

Take FUBeAR as 1 example - FUBeAR absolutely believes locking down the economy was a huge mistake. Also vehemently believes that being governmentally-mandated to lock those businesses down & to define the legal attire of the populace (burkas, anyone?) violates our constitutionally protected rights. That said, on 3/17, FUBeAR locked down my life for about 4-6 weeks. Still staying locked down for the most part (1 wedding excepted) and always socially distance in public. Also, always wear a mask, when requested/required OR, if for some reason I am unable to keep my socially distanced space.

I think you are confusing people’s opinions & feelings with their actions. I’m talking about the general public - not the few morons on social media or that crowd shooting each other up @ a 100+ person birthday party in DC this past weekend, or the religious nut-cases that were previously seen serpent-rasslin’ - The general public has been & is being compliant. I searched for empirical evidence to the contrary this AM and all I could find were self-reported survey derived data analytics - “Sir, when did you stop beating your wife?” C’mon - those aren’t “science” - maybe there are studies that have been done by independent researchers via statistically significant & valid observation, but I ain’t see’d ‘em. Post ‘em up, if so. Check their methodology 1st though..cuz you know FUBeAR will.

For fun- Let’s do a UFFP survey though...

1) By and large, I have greatly curtailed almost any interaction with ‘the public’ and I always or dnag near always wear a mask if required / requested and/or when I could be unable to socially distance myself from others.

2) I sometimes practice social distancing and I sometimes where a mask in the situations described above. But, I have to admit, I’m not very consistent with one or both of these things.

3) I’m somewhere on the spectra described above for Social Distancing, but I just ain’t gonna wear a mask unless I absolutely have to to go into someplace I want to go, but I will avoid going to such places if I can find a similar venue and I don’t have to wear a mask

4) I’ll wear a mask usually, but I will fight for my right to PAR-TAY. Party @ Woodwinds #1 tonight, I’m THERE! I can social distance when I’m dead. That ish is for old folks & nerds. I’m down for a meet-up any time someone hits me up on SnapChat!

5) I’m the person that the self-righteous finger-pointers here are talking about. No mask, no social distancing for me. Just named my 1st-born Covid Corona Crowded Club OpenFace the 1st

Post 1-5 which number best describes you / your actions since March of 2020.

FUBeAR will lead off - I am a reluctantly compliant #1

What say you?
 #30600  by JohnKX512
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

Take FUBeAR as 1 example - FUBeAR absolutely believes locking down the economy was a huge mistake. Also vehemently believes that being governmentally-mandated to lock those businesses down & to define the legal attire of the populace (burkas, anyone?) violates our constitutionally protected rights. That said, on 3/17, FUBeAR locked down my life for about 4-6 weeks. Still staying locked down for the most part (1 wedding excepted) and always socially distance in public. Also, always wear a mask, when requested/required OR, if for some reason I am unable to keep my socially distanced space.

I think you are confusing people’s opinions & feelings with their actions. I’m talking about the general public - not the few morons on social media or that crowd shooting each other up @ a 100+ person birthday party in DC this past weekend, or the religious nut-cases that were previously seen serpent-rasslin’ - The general public has been & is being compliant. I searched for empirical evidence to the contrary this AM and all I could find were self-reported survey derived data analytics - “Sir, when did you stop beating your wife?” C’mon - those aren’t “science” - maybe there are studies that have been done by independent researchers via statistically significant & valid observation, but I ain’t see’d ‘em. Post ‘em up, if so. Check their methodology 1st though..cuz you know FUBeAR will.

1) By and large, I have greatly curtailed almost any interaction with ‘the public’ and I always or dnag near always wear a mask if required / requested and/or when I could be unable to socially distance myself from others.

2) I sometimes practice social distancing and I sometimes where a mask in the situations described above. But, I have to admit, I’m not very consistent with one or both of these things.

3) I’m somewhere on the spectra described above for Social Distancing, but I just ain’t gonna wear a mask unless I absolutely have to to go into someplace I want to go, but I will avoid going to such places if I can find a similar venue and I don’t have to wear a mask

4) I’ll wear a mask usually, but I will fight for my right to PAR-TAY. Party @ Woodwinds #1 tonight, I’m THERE! I can social distance when I’m dead. That ish is for old folks & nerds. I’m down for a meet-up any time someone hits me up on SnapChat!

5) I’m the person that the self-righteous finger-pointers here are talking about. No mask, no social distancing for me. Just named my 1st-born Covid Corona Crowded Club OpenFace the 1st

What say you?

Once again. ME ME ME.

I am very happy to hear that YOU wore a mask. And you are talking about what YOU have done.

You are so butt hurt about this virus and feel like it has affected YOU so much, that you can’t comprehend any of the previous comments.
 #30601  by CharlieFU
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:27 pm
As to the "self-righteous finger pointing," one of those fingers is pointing straight at me! I did not mean to imply I had been in compliance all the time. I have forgotten to wear a mask. I did not even own a mask for some time. in the beginning. I have been places that in retrospect I should not have gone. etc. I can do better.

As to confusing opinions/feelings with actions, I was talking about all of it. I do not know what the "data" is on actual compliance. You may be correct that the "general population" is doing what they should do. My observation, unscientific as it may be, is that there are a substantial number who do not seem to care. And many more who say just that. Whether we are talking about a few or many, it matters not. One person not doing what they ought to do is one too many.

I just call it the way I see it, understanding that reasonable minds can differ. I was talking to my son, 24 years old, this weekend, and he told me how he had a good long conversation with a few friends who saw things differently than he did, politically and otherwise. He was so relieved to be able to have that conversation without it getting personal, without being made to feel he is stupid for thinking a certain way. As it should be for all of us!
Last edited by CharlieFU on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30602  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:35 pm
FUBeAR is talking about what he see’s in his part of GA. I see the same in Augusta: very, very high levels of compliance with the rules. I saw the same thing at the strand a couple of weeks ago and everywhere in between. It just doesn’t look like the level of noncompliance is high enough to keep a pandemic going. It seems like maybe Greenville is some weird epicenter of mask resistance, but I don’t think one evil city is enough to mess up a whole state or region. Maybe it is. Or maybe this pandemic is just like the ones before it and you can’t mask or social distance it away.
Things are getting better. We have 350ish in icu’s statewide. Numbers will never be down where they were before test,test,test. It isn’t possible. But to add insult to injury I bet they’ll be very low about the time a delayed season could have started.
 #30603  by FU3
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

What say you?
I have noticed all sorts of Government overreach in attire. Food workers wearing gloves and hair covering, road construction workers wearing hard hat and vests, factory workers with their eye coverings and steel toed boots etc. etc. These OSHA and state health folks don’t understand personal freedoms. Yep ( burqas anyone?) .. can Sharia Law be far behind ?
FUpaladin08, fufanatic liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by furpop16

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:58 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:53 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.