• No 2020 Season

#30538  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Forget studies just some common sense. More mask wearing than ever and cases are still high. They don’t work. The issue is they need to stop all the senseless useless testing that is holding everything back. Stop the obsession with cases and concentrate on the ill. Carry on with life! Life has never been “safe” and never will be.
You realize this mentality is why we are even dealing with the possibility of no football, don't you?

You see it as advocating to play. I see it as the reason we may not.
I may misunderstand, but I think you mean that grumbling about masks has kept the pandemic going and stopped football. I haven’t asked this for a few weeks, but are most people in Greenville STILL not wearing masks? Where I live most people realize they aren’t really going to stop the pandemic but damn near everybody wears them anyway where appropriate. Even at MB a couple of weeks ago everybody wore them when indoors. There were strict rules everywhere I went. Where is all this football ending mask resistance? Maybe Greenville is an outlier with near zero mask usage, but it’s hard to see how even that could stop football everywhere.

Everywhere I go mask use is up about as high as is reasonably achievable. Distancing is on the decline probably because of the masks. That’s probably a net reduction in safety. But our hospitals easily weathered the peak so maybe none of it matters much.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #30541  by Roundball
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 am
First FBS conference to cancel season. This means that Clemson will not be playing Akron. What will The Citadel do now?
Last edited by Roundball on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #30543  by FurmAlum
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:13 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:41 am
I realize that many of you don't subscribe to The Athletic, but for this article, it might be worth signing up for the free trial. This coach goes off on the NCAA. "Feldman: An FCS coach laments and vents about a season and sport in flux." https://theathletic.com/1982034/2020/08 ... eeklyemail
That's as good a reason as any to just go ahead and play. Stick a middle finger to the NCAA, FCS, etc. pick up an FBS game and play! Its time for some real leadership.

Why would we be practicing if that was not our intention? Heck, call coach Choate at Montana St. and invite him and his team to Paladin Stadium.

Plan B might be to play a split season like the golfers do. Play 5-6 games in the fall and 5-6 games in the spring. Win the SoCon in 2020 and FCS twice in 2021. No problem. :D
Roundball, FUBeAR, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #30545  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:35 pm
As I research Furman's COVID protocols, I did come across this bit:
On- or off-campus social gatherings or parties larger than eight individuals, except for appropriately registered and reserved activities, may not be hosted by students or student organizations regardless of social distancing or other protective measures. If students or student organizations, including those students living off-campus, put other Furman students at risk they will be subject to student conduct action for violating the Endangerment Policy. Sanctions may include immediate suspension, expulsion, or loss of recognition from the university. The university will determine if such acts constituted student organization activity or individual behavior in accordance with our published policies. Non-compliance should be reported to the Student Life office who will review the matter and determine if disciplinary action is required.
https://www.furman.edu/furman-focused/s ... forcement/

I read this to say that, in University's discretion, the University can determine whether an off campus activity violates its policy and puts other students at risk. The University can suspend or expel you for doing so. Basically, if you throw an off campus party and Furman students show up and there's non-compliance with the regulations, you go home.

When I was a student, I was not aware until serving on some judicial arbitration panels that Furman actually can really broadly regulate the activities of their students off campus. There is pretty wide latitude in this regard.
 #30546  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Forget studies just some common sense. More mask wearing than ever and cases are still high. They don’t work. The issue is they need to stop all the senseless useless testing that is holding everything back. Stop the obsession with cases and concentrate on the ill. Carry on with life! Life has never been “safe” and never will be.
You realize this mentality is why we are even dealing with the possibility of no football, don't you?

You see it as advocating to play. I see it as the reason we may not.
I may misunderstand, but I think you mean that grumbling about masks has kept the pandemic going and stopped football. I haven’t asked this for a few weeks, but are most people in Greenville STILL not wearing masks? Where I live most people realize they aren’t really going to stop the pandemic but damn near everybody wears them anyway where appropriate. Even at MB a couple of weeks ago everybody wore them when indoors. There were strict rules everywhere I went. Where is all this football ending mask resistance? Maybe Greenville is an outlier with near zero mask usage, but it’s hard to see how even that could stop football everywhere.

Everywhere I go mask use is up about as high as is reasonably achievable. Distancing is on the decline probably because of the masks. That’s probably a net reduction in safety. But our hospitals easily weathered the peak so maybe none of it matters much.
Exactly - my study of the science derived that masks have virtually no scientifically validated effect to decrease the spread of the virus, but instead included a lot of non-validated, tangential studies suggesting that there could be some benefit to certain types of masks if properly fitted & properly worn, followed by stern recommendations/ warnings / regulations from public health officials to wear something covering your face.

And, almost everybody (very few exceptions - and, with some measure of implicit bias, FUBeAR speculates most of the exceptions reside elsewhere) I see in mostly conservative (far) North Fulton County, GA is wearing them as directed. That observation moves to EVERYBODY (though many more, improperly) as one moves to North Fulton & ITP, ATL.

It’s convenient to take a couple of examples of chronological-only adult morons from social media and/or kids (who, despite the shock this will be to those that don’t have them, are NOT going to wear them nor socially distance when their ‘virtue’ is unscrutinized) and ‘lay blame’ on the legion of conscientious government-mandated-mask-objectors, such as FUBeAR, et al.

I been wearin’ my dnag mask for 4 months, thank you, to all of self-righteous finger-pointers; as have a very high percentage of my right-thinking, yet compliant, brethren.

But y’all still ain’t bringing me no Football.

So, #FUATT - the freakin’ viri itself (and maybe the CCP) and the broad-based response to it, (and, probably the Grinch) stole Football from us all.

Speaking of “all” - that’s who among us is gonna catch the ‘rona at some point. And, we’re lying to ourselves about a vaccine. Work on treatment, medical capacity, socially distance to slow (not stop) the spread to assist in managing medical capacity, shield the vulnerable as much as possible, and PLAY BALL. Come to think of it, to paraphrase Dr. Ernie Banks, “Let’s play (life) too!”
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30547  by JohnW
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:58 pm
Mask/no mask discussion would benefit from Kansas experience. Their state health guy said they had accidentally carried out a natural experiment. However the circumstance came about some counties mandated masks and others didn't. The difference in infection rates is stark.
 #30548  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 pm
The discussion doesn’t matter. Everybody’s wearing them. So the virus should be gone any day now. Should be able to play no problem.
 #30549  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 am
First FBS conference to cancel season. This means that Clemson will not be playing Akron. What will The Citadel do now?
Notre Dame needs a 9/19 opponent. That would be cool.
 #30550  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm
76MrMoto wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:35 am
Charleston Southern practice yesterday cancelled because of players' concerns about virus. See below article from this AM's "Charleston Post and Courier".

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... afffc.html
Now it’s not about positive tests but concern from players. The media has done a tremendous job of scaring the s••• out of people, Every case is a death sentence if you listen to the media. Why are people driving around alone in their car with a mask on? The fear is out of control. If they tested thousands of people a day for every known disease and the media reported everything no one would leave their house. The world had never been a safe place but now everyone had to have no risk for anything to happen. If I were a healthy college athlete I would not give this virus one thought. Just another example of fear mongering by the media and the power it has. I knew this was going to be bad when all this started but it has reached levels beyond expectations.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30551  by Roundball
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm
76MrMoto wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:35 am
Charleston Southern practice yesterday cancelled because of players' concerns about virus. See below article from this AM's "Charleston Post and Courier".

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... afffc.html
Now it’s not about positive tests but concern from players. The media has done a tremendous job of scaring the s••• out of people, Every case is a death sentence if you listen to the media. Why are people driving around alone in their car with a mask on? The fear is out of control. If they tested thousands of people a day for every known disease and the media reported everything no one would leave their house. The world had never been a safe place but now everyone had to have no risk for anything to happen. If I were a healthy college athlete I would not give this virus one thought. Just another example of fear mongering by the media and the power it has. I knew this was going to be bad when all this started but it has reached levels beyond expectations.
Enough with blaming this on the media. They simply report the facts. It's a real virus with real consequences. Besides, we need to fear this virus. It's people like you that don't take the virus serious that keep it going. This virus has killed over 160,000 people, with thousands more to die. If Americans continue to listen to the conspiracy theories, we are still be talking about this in August of next year. I hope the media spreads fear. Somebody needs to. Let's both understand that what we think about the spreading of the virus, masks, social distancing, etc., means nothing. Bottom line, this fall football season is in peril, as is basketball. The virus is with us and is not going away anytime soon. I pray for the leaders that are having to make difficult decisions.
hypercycloid liked this
 #30552  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:12 pm
I agree with you on something! The virus isn’t going away-ever. Mask no mask, football no football, whether apaladin is grumpy or not it probably isn’t going away. So will our new normal be no sports, no school, no church, no dating, no ever seeing my mother again, etc. Or will we start doing some of that stuff and take our chances like we’ve been doing since 1919? The risk to these players just really can’t get much lower so should we cancel forever? Where is the risk bar set? 1/10,000,000?

Regarding basketball, there is zero justification for having basketball if we can’t have football unless they play in a parking lot or something.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30553  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:19 pm
Oh, and it’s looking like the Big 10 will bail out today.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:26 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.