• No 2020 Season

#30523  by freebird
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:21 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:20 pm
Twitter world going nuts.
With all the folks vacationing on the SC coast those 34 were busy transporting luggage.
FUBeAR, fufanatic liked this
 #30524  by freebird
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:28 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:48 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:52 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:47 pm

...this dude is the head of the CDC. He mentions July...so it’s recent.

Risk of Covid mortality for school-age peeps = 1 / 1,000,000

There are about 10,000 FCS Football Players

Per a 2013 NIH study ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23477766/ )...”Results: Football fatalities averaged 12.2 per year, or 1 per 100,000 participants.”

...So, just by playing the game of Football, Players are 10x more at risk of mortality than they are if they ‘catch’ Covid (whether or not they are playing football)

Seems like we’re swatting at a gnat on our nose, while an alligator is chewing off our leg.

If we (NCAA, University Presidents & AD’s, Conference Commissioners, and Players) are risk averse enough to be cancelling football games in 2020 because of Covid, it seems to FUBeAR that they ought to be focused on ‘Cancelling’ the sport of Football forever. Obviously, the sport exceeds our risk tolerance level by a factor of at least 10x.

No?

Well...maybe, for some reason, this year, this Fall particularly, our collective societal risk tolerance level is much lower than it was in 2019 and than it will be in a few months or so.
The rest of the story is, these kids can spread the virus to their teachers, parents and grandparents. I don’t know how many more times it needs to be said, this virus is many times more worse than the flu. 160,000 deaths, in just 6 months. FWIW, new model the WH uses shows 300,000 deaths by December if we don’t get serious about wearing a mask and social distancing. http://www.healthdata.org/covid/updates
Roundball is incorrect. There are no confirmed instances of a child infecting their teacher anywhere in the world. There are only a small handful of cases where a child transmitted to a parent- TWO instances in Iceland. And before someone replies with studies from Italy and Chicago, those studies excluded asymptomatic children and only used 25 or less children in the study- all of whom were very ill (experiencing a vary rare degree of symptoms) and would obviously the easiest to detect and quarantine in a real world scenario.

Second, masks don't work. Many locations around the world where strict mask mandates have been in place for months are now experiencing 2nd waves. Hong Kong, Philippines, Hawaii. Studies after the first SARS in Asia found cloth masks protected less than no mask. Only one study I'm aware of has been done on Covid-19 and masks and that was in Denmark in the last month. The findings have not been released, but the government of Denmark has still refused to mandate masks except for on public transportation where distancing is not possible. You can't stop a respiratory virus because everyone has to breathe.
On March 31 -(from AP) "the White House projected there could be 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus pandemic even if current social distancing guidelines are maintained."That was supposed to happen in the first weeks of April. Here we are below 160K more than 3 months later. Bill Gates's foundation and the IHME have been wrong repeatedly and have to keep releasing new downgraded numbers.
Bottom line: the virus is very real, but the panic is WAY overblown. Folks with health problems and those over 70 are at some risk and should be concerned, but young and middle aged adults should take a few reasonable precautions and soldier on. Deaths from shutdowns and economic damage will quickly outpace the virus totals if we don't get back to life very soon.
When school starts back, there will be kids that pass the virus on. To say masks don’t work is pure nonsense. Study after study shows that fact.
Studies do not produce facts. They produce suggestions.
 #30525  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:02 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm
Took two seconds using google to find a reputable source discussing how masks work and why previously mentioned studies saying they don’t should be labeled with an asterisk.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-update ... masks-work

The best mask demonstration I've seen is this guy: https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... xperiment/

You can throw a bunch of "studies" at me, but that video is compelling.
 #30527  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm
Here it is Friday, two days into camp, and SoCon hasn't made an announcement. A few SoCon schools appear to have added big FBS games.

It could be that the SoCon is trying to play. Unlike a lot of FCS conferences, the SoCon has a relatively tight geographic footprint that requires no air travel (I think). A number of the games are probably not even overnight stays if you pushed it.

Could it be that the SoCon picks up games against G5 schools and fills in the gap with Big South/OVC opponents?

I look at App State - they have three open dates to start the season, including one on September 19 (the date Furman was scheduled to play UT). That game could make sense for both programs.
 #30528  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Forget studies just some common sense. More mask wearing than ever and cases are still high. They don’t work. The issue is they need to stop all the senseless useless testing that is holding everything back. Stop the obsession with cases and concentrate on the ill. Carry on with life! Life has never been “safe” and never will be.
aqualung, fupaladin01 liked this
 #30529  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 pm
Talked to a parent of a player earlier this week. He said according to his son, all the Furman players want to play.

Let's pick up an FBS game and move on even with no FCS play-offs. Yes FuBEAR I know I owe you 20 bucks.

I was surprised that the Big Sky and MV opted out. I thought they would play.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30530  by FUPlayer74
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Forget studies just some common sense. More mask wearing than ever and cases are still high. They don’t work. The issue is they need to stop all the senseless useless testing that is holding everything back. Stop the obsession with cases and concentrate on the ill. Carry on with life! Life has never been “safe” and never will be.
And having paladin in your name is no immunity for ignorance.
din23, fufanatic liked this
 #30531  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 pm
Here it is Friday, two days into camp, and SoCon hasn't made an announcement. A few SoCon schools appear to have added big FBS games.

It could be that the SoCon is trying to play. Unlike a lot of FCS conferences, the SoCon has a relatively tight geographic footprint that requires no air travel (I think). A number of the games are probably not even overnight stays if you pushed it.

Could it be that the SoCon picks up games against G5 schools and fills in the gap with Big South/OVC opponents?

I look at App State - they have three open dates to start the season, including one on September 19 (the date Furman was scheduled to play UT). That game could make sense for both programs.
FUBeAR, not a Furman Football scheduler, would be willing to allow a covid-impacted, 1 year only, waiver and stoop to playing @ Appy and/or @GaSou, if the check was right.
 #30532  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:28 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 pm
Talked to a parent of a player earlier this week. He said according to his son, all the Furman players want to play.

Let's pick up an FBS game and move on even with no FCS play-offs. Yes FuBEAR I know I owe you 20 bucks.

I was surprised that the Big Sky and MV opted out. I thought they would play.
Hook that $20 up w/Roundball’s $40 settlement payment & y’all donate the $60 to the FFPA in FUBeAR’s name, in honor of HKB60 & his young nephew - who, may, bravely face the terror of Covid, wearing the <F>, as the Paladins stake their claim for the 2020 FCS (mythical) National Championship!
 #30533  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 pm
I’m all for keeping the fall season going even if it’s SoCon only with whatever FBS schedule can be cobbled together. Heck, might be able to add a few FBS teams to total what the UT game was worth. With no playoffs there’s no penalty for losing those games.

The real issue is this: if FCS pushes for a Spring season what happens to schools that play a Fall season? Are they eligible for the Spring season? Are teams allowed to practice all the way up to the Spring? If we don’t have any 2020-21 season do players get that year back? What about transfers? The NCAA has really dropped the ball by providing zero guidance or even implications of the conferences’ decisions. There are strict guidelines in any normal season about how many spring and summer practices you are allowed. You have limits on how long practices can be throughout the year. There’s a list of banned substances for players. But now there’s suddenly nothing. Just do what you want. There’s going to be a huge issue of that remains. What if Furman plays the games they can in the Fall and participate in the Spring season. Is that an unfair advantage bc there was more time spent practicing? Would if players are taking medicine related to COVID treatment and prevention but that ends up as a banned substance?

There’s just too many questions and not enough leadership. It’s why we have the NCAA and they’ve just kicked the can and shrugged their shoulders.
Last edited by FUpaladin08 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUBeAR liked this
 #30534  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 am
If we decide to play there may be some benefits.
- There may be some gaps in TV schedules that need to be filled with something. Remember when ESPN showed nothing but Australian Rules Football? If somebody thinks outside the box the SoCon might get some TV games that make real money.

-HS players in some sections of the country have got to be wondering how committed their local colleges are to football. If they see FU playing a late afternoon or night game to fill in the tv spot once filled by PAC 12, bingo, instant recruiting.

-What do the canceled teams say to recruits? “We might play in the spring and maybe next fall, depending on something or other, but we really might possibly want you.”

-If the fall teams set up a championship game, and then a spring season has another champion, the champion teams and coaches should be ordered to engage in extreme Twitter trash talk all summer leading up to a season opener televised Covid Bowl between the two.

But I really doubt there will be much of a spring season. The west coast teams will keep the Big Sky out and the Illinois types will keep the MV out. Will northeastern teams will ever play again? There will always be a chance of a second wave and experts now say even a good vaccine may not work very well in our country because vaccines don’t generally work on the tubby. So what criteria will they use to determine that it’s safe to play?
 #30535  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:18 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 am
So what criteria will they use to determine that it’s safe to play?
Safe to play?

Are you insane?

Just playing the game of football carries 10 times the mortality risk of catching the ‘rona

Football must be shut down forever!!!

(for the safety of our children...of course)

NOTE: Forever = Forever or, possibly, 1/20/21, whichever comes 1st
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #30536  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 am
Question: If there are not 50% of teams playing in the Spring, wouldn't that mean no playoffs in the Spring either? If over half of FCS either plays in the fall or decides it is too risky to play in the Spring, we are right back to where we are now. If that's the case, waiting until spring is too big of a risk to take if there is a chance of losing the season altogether. Let's get a schedule together and get after it.
FUBeAR, FUKA61 liked this
 #30537  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:06 am
apaladin wrote:
You realize this mentality is why we are even dealing with the possibility of no football, don't you?

You see it as advocating to play. I see it as the reason we may not.
FU3, din23, AstroDin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:26 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.