• No 2020 Season

#30477  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:55 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 pm
If true, this is a bad sign for FCS playoffs.
There are, I believe, 13 football playing members of the Big Sky.

Writing is on the wall at this point, I think.
 #30478  by Stumpy
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm
From the SoCon.
Can somebody who can read white text on a silver background please translate that for me?
hypercycloid, dornb liked this
 #30479  by hypercycloid
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 pm
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Southern Conference Council of Presidents and Directors of Athletics are continuing their ongoing and comprehensive review of the COVID-19 environment and plans for fall sports. The overall health and safety of student-athletes and all participants are the foremost priorities. Various options are being explored to evaluate the feasibility of a safe and successful return to competition. The membership is reviewing the latest guidelines for competition provided on Aug. 5 by the NCAA Board of Governors and will incorporate them into its future decision-making. The Southern Conference appreciates everyone’s patience with this process and is committed to taking the necessary time to ensure that the best possible decision is made.
Stumpy, dornb liked this
 #30480  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm
From the SoCon.
Can somebody who can read white text on a silver background please translate that for me?
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Southern Conference Council of Presidents and Directors of Athletics are continuing their ongoing and comprehensive review of the COVID-19 environment and plans for fall sports. The overall health and safety of student-athletes and all participants are the foremost priorities. Various options are being explored to evaluate the feasibility of a safe and successful return to competition. The membership is reviewing the latest guidelines for competition provided on Aug. 5 by the NCAA Board of Governors and will incorporate them into its future decision-making. The Southern Conference appreciates everyone’s patience with this process and is committed to taking the necessary time to ensure that the best possible decision is made.
Stumpy liked this
 #30481  by FurmAlum
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Just call me an optimist but I think FU will be a Yes vote, there will be a season, and there will be FCS playoffs.

Think about it from a recruiting perspective too. If I were a recruit I would pick a school that was going to play!
I’ll bet you the Jackson that Roundball owes me / FFPA that there will be no FCS Playoffs this Fall/Winter.

I just don’t see any way the PFL plays...and my (latest) calculations say if 9 Teams opt out, that’s < 50% in. Number of Teams in PFL = 9 - Could be others drop too, just think the PFL is ‘the weakest link.’
I said I was an optimist, but I am no fool, so I'm not going to take your bet on the FCS Playoffs. I would still like to see Furman play the season anyway. I am still cautiously optimistic about that.
 #30482  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm
As you can imagine, these decisions have a lot of ramification on rosters going forward.

If football does like baseball did in the spring, the seniors would be given an extra year of eligibility and the ability to play next season.

That does create some backlog, in theory, as programs will have an extra class of players on campus. Even with the extra year of eligibility, schools do not necessarily get help with scholarships. That is, even though you may be allotted five classes on campus, you may not necessarily be able to afford them within current budget constraints.

I suppose that if there is a benefit to Furman, it is in that the Junior and Senior classes are relatively small - 28 total players. Furman made heavy use of the new redshirt rule 2 years ago and has 80 freshmen and sophomores. So, on balance, we are still a "young" team.

Obviously, there are a bunch of decisions here that create ripple effects with no football - do you redshirt all the freshmen? Do you already know which juniors and seniors may not play out their eligibility? Even if there's no season, can the team still practice?

I can only imagine that if most of the county shuts down college football that it will have a massive chilling effect on recruiting nationally. There would be too much uncertainty for a school to bring in a large 2021 class with the possibility that all of their seniors may return. You may see a few kids dive on top of scholarship offers early instead of waiting to see how things play out over the season.
 #30483  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:35 pm
I feel bad for seniors who will be told they can play another year as long as they pay for it. But I feel worse for the HS class of 2021. Lots of guys who would have gone to college won’t be. But hey, if it means the college guys will get Covid at keg parties instead of football practice it’s a small price to pay. And besides, we’ll never know because we won’t do all that damn testing. So suck it up class of ‘21, college is overrated.

Of course a smart school could take advantage of this situation. FCS schools willing to play might end up on prime time TV. And they can absolutely raid California for recruits since schools out there are dreaming up all kinds of reasons not to play.
 #30484  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 pm
Wow a pretty much nothing statement from the SoCon. There are at least 4 SoCon teams with FBS games now. Good chance more could be added. Meanwhile FU opens preseason camp tomorrow.
 #30485  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:43 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Just call me an optimist but I think FU will be a Yes vote, there will be a season, and there will be FCS playoffs.

Think about it from a recruiting perspective too. If I were a recruit I would pick a school that was going to play!
I’ll bet you the Jackson that Roundball owes me / FFPA that there will be no FCS Playoffs this Fall/Winter.

I just don’t see any way the PFL plays...and my (latest) calculations say if 9 Teams opt out, that’s < 50% in. Number of Teams in PFL = 9 - Could be others drop too, just think the PFL is ‘the weakest link.’
I said I was an optimist, but I am no fool, so I'm not going to take your bet on the FCS Playoffs. I would still like to see Furman play the season anyway. I am still cautiously optimistic about that.
So...like the University of Tennessee, you’re reneging on our agreement? I might have to join this with my action against Roundball & seek summary judgement.
 #30486  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:48 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:35 pm
I feel bad for seniors who will be told they can play another year as long as they pay for it. But I feel worse for the HS class of 2021. Lots of guys who would have gone to college won’t be. But hey, if it means the college guys will get Covid at keg parties instead of football practice it’s a small price to pay. And besides, we’ll never know because we won’t do all that damn testing. So suck it up class of ‘21, college is overrated.

Of course a smart school could take advantage of this situation. FCS schools willing to play might end up on prime time TV. And they can absolutely raid California for recruits since schools out there are dreaming up all kinds of reasons not to play.
I pretty much look at it like this -

In 1942 my grandfather got on a boat, sailed to Africa, and spent three years fighting the Nazis. He did so because he was asked to. During that time Furman had students leave school to go to war.

In 2020, most of us are being asked to wear a mask to Wal-Mart and that has proven too arduous a task.

I wish things were different. I mourn the loss of normal life and missing out on those things I would have otherwise preferred to be doing. This is where we are now, though, and we will all manage our way through it. This isn't a problem exclusive to one place on the map - it is affecting everyone.
Jasper, fufanatic liked this
 #30487  by soconjohn
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:10 pm
The problem isn't exclusive, but we(our country) seems to be the only ones that can't manage it and have a sports season with safety...That's what bothers me.
Last edited by soconjohn on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.