• No 2020 Season

#30456  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pm
Wow you must have some pretty good connections to know that FU is a "sure no" vote.
 #30457  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pm
Wow you must have some pretty good connections to know that FU is a "sure no" vote.
Prolly should have said likely instead of sure. Nothing is for sure. 🤣
 #30458  by Furmanoid
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 pm
Oh well, no playoffs. Shouldn’t really mean no season but it might. Might mean no more NCAA down the road if there is a revolt by schools that don’t want the coasts telling them what to do. Might mean fewer teams and fewer opportunities for athletes down the road if programs can’t get out of the holes dug when you pay for an expensive season like football and then opt out of the revenue part. But it will drastically reduce positive tests among players since they won’t be players and they won’t get tested. They’ll just be undetected infected students which I guess is OK. Problem solved. A public health miracle.
 #30459  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:24 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 pm
undetected infected
I’m not sayin’ this was one of FUBeAR’s nicknames during his FU days, but I’m not not sayin’ that it was
 #30460  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
bizuns media - who probably have the highest emotional investment in having FCS Playoffs is using different math...not sure how they derived their cipherin’ - but I wouldn’t doubt that they know from whence they speak...

FARGO — Picture this. All 107 programs that make up the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision have one seat at the table, with the following vote: Are you in or are you out?

As of Wednesday, in the FCS, that is 70 of 111 playoff-eligible teams, or 63%, that are still in.

Not sure how they got from 125 to 107, but I think the +4 to 111 represents 4 playoff-eligible FCS independents.

Wait - Just figgered out how they got -18 to go from 125 to 107 .... they took out the SWAC (10) & the Ivies (8). But, I don’t think that’s right - SWAC’s Top 3 - 5 Teams are involved in other ‘Attendance’ games that keep them from accepting a Playoff bid, but if the 4th - 6th best SWAC Team(s) were AMAZING (they won’t be), I think they are eligible to accept an At-Large Playoff bid.

....And they didn’t seem to consider that McNeese & SFA are ineligible...so...nevermind...bizuns media seems to have their horns up their hindquarters...probably inhaling too much trophy polish.
 #30461  by FurmAlum
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Just call me an optimist but I think FU will be a Yes vote, there will be a season, and there will be FCS playoffs.

Think about it from a recruiting perspective too. If I were a recruit I would pick a school that was going to play!
FUKA61, Furmanoid, AstroDin and 2 others liked this
 #30464  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Just call me an optimist but I think FU will be a Yes vote, there will be a season, and there will be FCS playoffs.

Think about it from a recruiting perspective too. If I were a recruit I would pick a school that was going to play!
I’ll bet you the Jackson that Roundball owes me / FFPA that there will be no FCS Playoffs this Fall/Winter.

I just don’t see any way the PFL plays...and my (latest) calculations say if 9 Teams opt out, that’s < 50% in. Number of Teams in PFL = 9 - Could be others drop too, just think the PFL is ‘the weakest link.’
 #30465  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

I’ll bet you the Jackson that Roundball owes me / FFPA that there will be no FCS Playoffs this Fall/Winter.

I just don’t see any way the PFL plays...and my (latest) calculations say if 9 Teams opt out, that’s < 50% in. Number of Teams in PFL = 9 - Could be others drop too, just think the PFL is ‘the weakest link.’
Agree some will drop. I do think they should have to give a definitive number of what is the denominator. BEFORE it gets to be a close call... Otherwise, there will be contention. Do the Ivies count? They shouldn't in my book but either way the division needs to say "they do.. or they don't". You don't want to get to 48% or 51% and have not defined the teams that count.. whether 107 or 125. Then conspiracy theorists will abound if they decide either way AFTER we see who says yes and who says no.. 107 to 125 is a big difference in denominator.
 #30466  by purplehorse
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 am
I would like to have a season and the playoffs BUT at this point would be content with a football season and no playoffs.
 #30467  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:46 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:02 pm
Some guy was on Twitter asking Sam about the status of the Ivies as “eligible.” He has not counted them as eligible in his math, so his denominator is -8 in calculating that 60% number...actually 60.2%. NCAA site says 125 are eligible. This guy on Twitter thinks that 125 includes the Ivies. Sam was unsure. So...let’s say he’s using 117 vs. 125 as his starting denominator...but then McNeese & SFA are not eligible...so that drops to 115....I think he’s counting 69 Teams as ‘in.’ ... but if that denominator should actually be 125-2=123 and we use the 69 ‘in,’...we’re @ 56%. ... only need 8 teams to opt out to kill Playoffs...and BTW...I think that 69 includes all PFL Teams...PFL is, in somewhat aligned with D3 Football...and D3 has already cancelled the Postseasons.

I would say the ventilator keeping FCS Playoffs alive right now is about to be unplugged....Hate it...bit that’s what FUBeAR sees.

Season...who knows?
Evidently, the Ivy League schools are eligible for the playoffs, but they refuse to participate.
 #30468  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:51 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:10 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 am
From a newspaper that covers the SoCon, another piece this morning. Encouraging. Sounds like there will be SoCon football played this year. “SoCon could delay start of football season, commissioner says.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/s ... 51020.html
Looks like I can only read this important, exclusive, info if I subscribe @ $3.36 / week (says it in a big red banner), which, via FUBeAR ciphering, is ‘only’ $174.72 / year or ‘only’ $14.56 / mo. Thought you said it was ‘only’ $12.95 / mo? I’ve ‘only’ known about this subscription-based info to which you keep linking for about 15 minutes, and I’m already getting screwed out of $1.61 / mo or $19.32 / year.

Nice giant pic of the bellhops dominating the page when I click the link. I learned at the link posted that I can purchase a 16 x 20 mounted canvas print of that photo for ‘only’ $88.50. May do that. If I ever get a cat, its litter box will need a liner.
Give me your address. I'll send you a $20.00 bill for the difference. Seriously, I've been a subscriber for several years. I guess I am still locked in at $12.95 a month. It's worth that, plus the extra $1.61 a month if you love reading about South Carolina news.

As for the comments from the commissioner, he says one of the options is a conference only schedule, which "has a lot of merit." He also likes the idea of delaying the start of the season. He knows time is running out for a decision. He said that today's decision of the Board of Governors will make it clear with option to go. The AD's and the Presidents are meeting today, although they have been in constant contact with each other.
My address is FFPA c/o Furman Football Office. Please send that Jackson there.

...and thanks for getting my point.

I like the P&C. Jeff Hartsell does a great job for the bellhops (his ALMA mater) & by extension the SoCon. Don’t live in SC & have 0 interest in being routed from here to pay-walled articles / sites to (not) find out the gist of things affecting FU Football. If I want to partake of their poignant prose, I’ll pay. Certainly, no expectation to violate their copyrights via reposting entire articles or even substantial chunks. Just the gist to generally inform fellow UFFP’ers of anything important, maybe a short blurb, and a link.

You still might want to subscribe to the “FOuR (with) FUBeAR” mini-podcast though. Content will be unmasked when you do & it will be SICK!
Assuming you have subscribed to the P&C, I will send $20.00 to:

FUBeAR
FFPA
Furman Football Office
Greenville, SC

Is this the correct address?
 #30470  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:46 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:02 pm
Some guy was on Twitter asking Sam about the status of the Ivies as “eligible.” He has not counted them as eligible in his math, so his denominator is -8 in calculating that 60% number...actually 60.2%. NCAA site says 125 are eligible. This guy on Twitter thinks that 125 includes the Ivies. Sam was unsure. So...let’s say he’s using 117 vs. 125 as his starting denominator...but then McNeese & SFA are not eligible...so that drops to 115....I think he’s counting 69 Teams as ‘in.’ ... but if that denominator should actually be 125-2=123 and we use the 69 ‘in,’...we’re @ 56%. ... only need 8 teams to opt out to kill Playoffs...and BTW...I think that 69 includes all PFL Teams...PFL is, in somewhat aligned with D3 Football...and D3 has already cancelled the Postseasons.

I would say the ventilator keeping FCS Playoffs alive right now is about to be unplugged....Hate it...bit that’s what FUBeAR sees.

Season...who knows?
Evidently, the Ivy League schools are eligible for the playoffs, but they refuse to participate.
Why wouldn’t the Ivies have a vote in a matter that’s none of their business? It is the mission of those institutions to tell America how to screw itself up.

Funny how this looks like it may shape up as a preview of November. Starting with FUbeaR’s count and assuming West coast schools are NO’s, it may come down to midwestern swing state schools. Coincidence of course since this is all science based decision making.

Even if the NCAA decides to take the year off, I wouldn’t be shocked if some network, desperate for content, is willing to help put together a playoff. If you are wanting to play, it’s a seller’s market seems like.

Why aren’t they voting on basketball? It’s the same timeframe plus the risk is way higher. They should stop it now so we can skip testing and pretend no would be basketball players are getting infected.
 #30471  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:51 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:10 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 am
From a newspaper that covers the SoCon, another piece this morning. Encouraging. Sounds like there will be SoCon football played this year. “SoCon could delay start of football season, commissioner says.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/s ... 51020.html
Looks like I can only read this important, exclusive, info if I subscribe @ $3.36 / week (says it in a big red banner), which, via FUBeAR ciphering, is ‘only’ $174.72 / year or ‘only’ $14.56 / mo. Thought you said it was ‘only’ $12.95 / mo? I’ve ‘only’ known about this subscription-based info to which you keep linking for about 15 minutes, and I’m already getting screwed out of $1.61 / mo or $19.32 / year.

Nice giant pic of the bellhops dominating the page when I click the link. I learned at the link posted that I can purchase a 16 x 20 mounted canvas print of that photo for ‘only’ $88.50. May do that. If I ever get a cat, its litter box will need a liner.
Give me your address. I'll send you a $20.00 bill for the difference. Seriously, I've been a subscriber for several years. I guess I am still locked in at $12.95 a month. It's worth that, plus the extra $1.61 a month if you love reading about South Carolina news.

As for the comments from the commissioner, he says one of the options is a conference only schedule, which "has a lot of merit." He also likes the idea of delaying the start of the season. He knows time is running out for a decision. He said that today's decision of the Board of Governors will make it clear with option to go. The AD's and the Presidents are meeting today, although they have been in constant contact with each other.
My address is FFPA c/o Furman Football Office. Please send that Jackson there.

...and thanks for getting my point.

I like the P&C. Jeff Hartsell does a great job for the bellhops (his ALMA mater) & by extension the SoCon. Don’t live in SC & have 0 interest in being routed from here to pay-walled articles / sites to (not) find out the gist of things affecting FU Football. If I want to partake of their poignant prose, I’ll pay. Certainly, no expectation to violate their copyrights via reposting entire articles or even substantial chunks. Just the gist to generally inform fellow UFFP’ers of anything important, maybe a short blurb, and a link.

You still might want to subscribe to the “FOuR (with) FUBeAR” mini-podcast though. Content will be unmasked when you do & it will be SICK!
Assuming you have subscribed to the P&C, I will send $20.00 to:

FUBeAR
FFPA
Furman Football Office
Greenville, SC

Is this the correct address?
Oh...now you’re implying the $20 offered was ‘conditional.’ That wasn’t explicit in your offer to send it to me. I inferred the $20 was a pre-action settlement to cover my pain & suffering damages associated with your false advertising / bait & switch tactics in your effort to induce me to purchase an online subscription to the P&C with a false price quote. Now I’m feeling more pain, suffering, and also public humiliation, as you have once again efforted to induce that purchase via adding a previously unstated condition to your offer & the donation I have already alerted the donee to expect.

But there is good news for you & the FFPA. I have the original $20 riding on a sure-thing bet with FurmAlum and I will accept a doubling of your original offer as fair compensation for the additional damages inflicted by your above-quoted post.
 #30472  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:23 am
So Clemson released their schedule and there is no Citadel on it, originally scheduled for 11/14.....and Clemson is open that Sat. They do, however, have a "non conf TBD" on 9/19. I'd assume Citadel would move to that date if they play, if not that would be a great date for us to take a drive down hwy 123.
 #30473  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:00 am
Great news for the SoCon. Maybe The Citadel can keep their game at Clemson. They can drop or move CSU for the $.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FUTex

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.