#30425  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:36 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:54 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:47 pm
The worst part in all of this is the waiting and the uncertainty. Why is the NCAA BOG waiting until Tuesday? Do they really expect things to change significantly? This could have been done weeks ago. Most schools have already gotten their teams back on campus.
The BOG did meet a few weeks and delayed the decision, I believe.

That course is consistent with what I have found to be a truism of this pandemic - no one wants to make the hard decisions. Everyone wants to delay or defer decisions in hopes that things become more optimistic. It's essentially diffusion of responsibility.

The BOG will vote and, you can be assured, they will do what virtually every other institution has done across the country - they will only stick their neck out as far as they need to and defer the tough calls to the local level.
You are exactly right. Nobody wants to make a decision. I hope they decide to kick the can one more time all the way to October. Why make a decision about cancelling playoffs so many months in advance? But if they won’t put it off that long they need to go ahead and decide. Then the conferences can decide if they’re gonna play, and everybody can redo their schedules. It seems like anybody who wants to play should be able to, but it will be a chore to develop the new schedules- very doable but a pain. Teams might play weird and interesting schedules and many will do ok in attendance because they never expect to get 50% capacity anyway.

If there is a cancel/play vote now it will be to cancel based on headlines rather than data.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the vote is very red state vs blue state.

About poor PC, they need to tear off the bandaid and go back to DII where they had an ugly, hate filled Thanksgiving rivalry and were sort of relevant.
I have to tell you, the data supports not playing.

Everyone has a different tolerance for this virus on a personal level. This is not a personal level. These are large scale decisions effecting thousands of people. Feelings do not matter here.

Bottom line - we the people were given explicit instructions in April about what we needed to do to have football in the fall. Many people ignored those instructions. Here we are.
 #30426  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am
I have seen zero data to this point supporting the notion that playing fb or any other sport under the guidelines suggested would increase the risk to an on campus college student. Zero. If it doesn’t increase the risk, why cancel it? Because it looks bad?

Of course cancelling on campus college might reduce the unmeasurable low risk to young people (including would be players), but increases it for the old people they live with. That is just an obvious fact that I’m living with. And of course we’d have several classes getting 4 year degrees with only 3 years of actual education. Oh, and many colleges would close for good. But it MIGHT reduce risk a little bit to an age group with statistically no risk.

Headlines are one thing, but actual data trends are starting to look pretty decent. No matter how much your fellow Americans have disappointed (by not perfectly following a completely unrealistic plan), an epidemic can only last so long.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30428  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am
I have seen zero data to this point supporting the notion that playing fb or any other sport under the guidelines suggested would increase the risk to an on campus college student. Zero. If it doesn’t increase the risk, why cancel it? Because it looks bad?

Of course cancelling on campus college might reduce the unmeasurable low risk to young people (including would be players), but increases it for the old people they live with. That is just an obvious fact that I’m living with. And of course we’d have several classes getting 4 year degrees with only 3 years of actual education. Oh, and many colleges would close for good. But it MIGHT reduce risk a little bit to an age group with statistically no risk.

Headlines are one thing, but actual data trends are starting to look pretty decent. No matter how much your fellow Americans have disappointed (by not perfectly following a completely unrealistic plan), an epidemic can only last so long.
Furmanoid, you make way too much sense.
 #30429  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 am
It's from the Twitter world, so I post it as a FWIW item. This guy is the FCS National Coordinator for HERO Sports.
Not sure I believe this as WCU has put a lot of money into their stadium, new turf etc and still has an FBS game on their schedule that prolly will cost them money if they cancel.
 #30431  by Furmanoid
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am
Fear monger alert! Mother of Indiana Freshman Brady Feeney Says Her Son Seriously 'Struggling with Virus' https://www.si.com/college/indiana/foot ... l-covid-19
She says IU did everything right but couldn’t protect her son. Exactly. The world is a dangerous place, especially now. However she is frustrated because MO (which isn’t in Indiana) isn’t taking the virus seriously. So is she saying he would be better off at home in the nonserious state or away at IU where they do everything right? There is no right answer. Don’t want to pick on the kid but 6 4” 325 doesn’t sound like perfect condition. Those are the guys even I worry about. If I were coaching I would discourage them from playing. By encouraging that body type football has been putting kids in danger for many years even before any virus. Sure glad he is recovering. Teenage boys get sick sometimes.
 #30432  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:08 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 am
Fear monger alert! Mother of Indiana Freshman Brady Feeney Says Her Son Seriously 'Struggling with Virus' https://www.si.com/college/indiana/foot ... l-covid-19
This story is going to play out all over the country.
Just an isolated case that gets attention because it is bad. That is the way of the media.
 #30435  by CharlieFU
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm
“Teenage boys get sick sometimes.” Now in my Top 10 COVID-19 quotes. Trump has a new one in my overall Top 10: “He didn’t go to my inauguration.”
 #30436  by fufanatic
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 pm
“Teenage boys get sick sometimes.” Now in my Top 10 COVID-19 quotes. Trump has a new one in my overall Top 10: “He didn’t go to my inauguration.”
Where does "it is what it is" rank on your quote list? That was after being asked about 150K+ people dead.
 #30437  by soconjohn
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:10 pm
One thing about COVID-19 is that it’s going to be easier to play sports like basketball and soccer than it is football or those with a large number of players...We’ll have hoops, but it’s hard to keep every single player healthy in a sport with such large numbers like football unfortunately....I want football as much as anyone, but I am starting to realize that this could be the very real possibility...no football this fall :( :(
 #30438  by JohnKX512
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm
If we still play our opener with Wofford and win, I believe that FU will have an undefeated season.
 #30440  by JohnKX512
 Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm
Why wait? Must be bad news.
Come on Roundball, bad news is all the media cares about. I won’t listen to it if it is bad.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:25 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.