• 2021 Commitment

#30157  by AstroDin
 Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:31 pm
We got another commit tonight…

Going over the offer list for DLs it's a smaller group.
With new DL coach Kevin Lewis having deep VA roots - my guess is the commit could be from VA.
Digging through the offers for DLs we do have offers to a few players in GA, FL and AL too.

Many of these DLs have 20+ offers.
FUKA61, apaladin liked this
 #30171  by AstroDin
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm
confirmed…

By my rough count, Mr. Stanfield had 23 offers…
Some always ask who else recruited a commit.
Stanfield was recruited by most of the Ivy schools.
From the SoCon: Wofford, Mercer, WCU and Chatty.
From the CAA: Nova and UNH
A bunch of other FBS schools from SIU to EKU to Fordham
From the FBS I count offers from Coastal, Army, Akron, Charlotte, Georiga Southern, App St, Georgia St, and Wake.
FUKA61 liked this
 #30174  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm
a few thoughts:

Standfield is already listed at 6'2 250+. Big hombre.

He played for Harrison, who was the Georgia State champ for AAAAA last season. No team in that classification really stayed on the field with Harrison in last year's playoffs. Only one team (state runner up) stayed within two touchdowns of them.

Along with Beuglas, Furman has commits on defense from two guys that anchored the interior of two of the top high school teams in the state. That's a good start to a recruiting class.
 #30230  by Rokawaylifer
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Bear, thank you for pointing out schnipers in that photo. He and I used to enjoy a good chew and dip together frequently. It was funny. with ouR mouths full of that stuff and his southern drawl and my jersey nasally abuse of the English language Whine our conversations included a lot Asking each other ..
whatD you’d say. Thanks for pointing out Steve Botkin too. I wrestled him many times in dorm hallways. With another guy on my side! We still lost! Oh, and sandy Davis? Sandy and rod Heinz roomed together on the third floor of e dorm with us. Great times. The whole floor couldn’t pin Rodney! My good friend dr. Crosby Livingston, Who I played with at Morris knolls Here in this hellhole they call the garden state and is coach Johnson’s cousin ... both from Chapin, tells me sandy is the best oral surgeon in sc. so the next time you’re in sc. and need a root canal...
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:35 pm
Bear thanks for reply. I recall Richard b. Solid guy. I remember him as a
quiet guy but always a smile on his face. Funny, I Originally thought When I saw this great photo that #33 was Kurt w. But if as you say the blade was just out of photo what the heck is Kurt doing on defense? I thought he was our fullback? Anyhow thanks again for the reply. It filled in a lotta blanks. And one is that you aren’t, as I previously thought, younger than me, stay well brother.
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 am
Rokawaylifer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:50 pm
Bear, Great photo. is # 82 Bruce Lancaster? Who the heck is #33. Big dude. Do you remember Russell the blade gambrell? I think he would have been a senior and on this team. You mention the partridge Georgia connection. You know we had Bobby Kelly a year or two earlier. Bobby had Incredible lateral speed.

FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:09 am
You could do a long list of guys that end up on FCS rosters after an injury sort of takes them out of the spotlight.

My favorite SoCon example might be Davis Tull of UTC. Tull broke his leg his senior year, basically fell off the map recruiting-wise, ended up at UTC on a partial scholarship (really the only school that kept recruiting him), and he went on to be arguably the SoCon's best defensive player of the last 30 years and an NFL draft pick.

Not a modern day development. FUBeAR’s favorite example is #83, Tim Partridge, a mere Freshman, in this most famous FU Football picture who was headed to play for the Georgia Bulldogs, until a devastating knee injury in his Sr. Year @ Lincoln County HS (GA) gifted him to 1st year Furman Head Coach, Dick Sheridan, in the Recruiting Class of 1978. In those days, torn knee ligaments were repaired with duct tape, a Phillips screwdriver, and leeches. But Tim toted his bad wheel up to Travelers Rest and wreaked havoc on the SoCon as a Paladin D-End for 2 or 3 years, before the duct tape gave way and cut his career too short.
#82 is Richard Broomfield (Bruce Lancaster wore #88, I believe)
#33 is Kent Woerner
Russell Gambrell was on this Team. I believe he was a Team Captain & is probably just out of the frame to the left as he was our starting Free Safety
Still might be younger - I was a mere snotty-nosed Freshman in’78

Kent moved to NG his Sr. Year, after being All SoCon as a Jr. FB, I believe, because we were so thin at Nose & we had a bunch of really solid fullbacks behind him - Steve Bishop, Sandy Davis, & a 3rd one I’m not remembering right now.

Also, in that pic, btw, are the legendary Jeff Snipes (#62) and Steve “Bear” Botkin (#79)
 #30350  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:31 am
JohnW wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm
Alex Maier, 6-4 225 DE, from Fleming Island, FL has committed.
Looks like a good pick up for Furman. A long athletic type edge rusher.

After watching some of his junior film, the closest comp I can recall is probably Dru Seabrook, who had a similar build coming out of high school. As we've seen, this defensive staff loves to work in sub packages based on game situation, and having a big motor rusher from the defensive line has been a core part of that strategy.

Interestingly, watching twitter he announced an offer from Furman on July 31 and then committed August 1. So, apparently he is a kid that really wants to be a Paladin.

Probably also worth mentioning that he is from the same school district as Jeremiah Jackson, a 2020 commit. Jacksonville, which has long been a Furman recruiting hotbed, appears to be so again.

Edit: It appears he must have transferred to Fleming Island (Jackson's school). Maier played for Clay County High School the last few years. So, same school.
 #30383  by Paul C
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 am
Not an impressive list of offers.....but some of the best players in FU history didn't have a lot offers....looks like UT-Martin, Monmouth and Bryant his other D1 offers. Wonder if we noticed him while scouting Jackson?
FUKA61 liked this
 #30385  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:49 am
Paul C wrote:
Not an impressive list of offers.....but some of the best players in FU history didn't have a lot offers....looks like UT-Martin, Monmouth and Bryant his other D1 offers. Wonder if we noticed him while scouting Jackson?
Stanford Jennings had offers from the bellhops & us. Ernest Gibson was a walk-on.

That’s 15 years in the NFL for each ‘other offer’ they had.
AstroDin liked this
 #30388  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:16 pm
Paul C wrote:
That was entirely my thought.

It will be interesting to see what this fall does for football recruiting. Might have guys that are reliant only on their junior tape to show colleges. Some guys may have spent that year injured. Relationships with local coaches may be huge.
 #30938  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:16 pm
Gilliom is a 6-2 190 DB > check out this film of him doing drills below.
Beat out Chatty, Navy, New Hamshire, Albany, Elon, Rhode Island, ASPS…Gilliom listed 19 offers.
FUKA61, hypercycloid liked this
 #30943  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 am
Looks like Furman is building a pretty impressive roster of underclassmen defensive backs.
 #30946  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 am
Looks like Furman is building a pretty impressive roster of underclassmen defensive backs.
Gilliom looks like a versatile piece that fits into Furman's multi-package defenses. Also noticed we're getting some length on the backend of the defense, below are players over 6-0 listed as players in the defensive backfield.

Ryan 6-1 192 S
Rhodes 6-1 191 S
Richards 6-1 185 S
Domino 6-1 175 DB

Height of recruits from the last two classes….

Chizik 5-9 176 CB
Blackshear 5-10 182 CB
Brinson 5-10 186 S
Griffin 5-11 180 CB
Jones 5-11 198 S
Robinson 5-11 170 CB
Yates 5-11 174 CB