• No 2020 Season

#30320  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:03 am
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 pm
I like this action by La Tech...go after them!
Love this too. Go La. Tech!
 #30321  by soconjohn
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 am
Sorry I got a little upset about that...It's just that this whole year has been seemingly bad for the league and college athletics...But I really want to see FCS football make it financially...And when schools refuse to pay out when they know the future for these FCS schools is hanging in the balance, and they do nothing when they have something to help with...That's the worst kind of greed...Someone said it earlier...I never want to see Furman or any SoCon program back out of smaller FCS games if at all possible...I am more firm on that now than ever...Because I don't want to be a program that turns the other way when programs are in need...Don't be that guy in life or in college athletics.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #30322  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 am
If the SoCon decides to play(big if) will the SoCon add games. In Furman’s case there are 30 possible replacements for UT that have had games cancelled on the same date(Sept. 19). As of now only WCU and UTC still have full schedules intact. Their FBS games are WKU and Liberty respectively. Wofford and VMI only have 9 games now. Everyone else has 10.
 #30323  by soconjohn
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am
Could Furman get Oklahoma? After all Tennessee screwed them too...App State or JMU...would love those...there are options....Oklahoma had an off week Sept. 19...Furman now suddenly also has an open date the same Sat...Perhaps former AD Mike Buddie will put in a good word for his former employer with with Oklahoma...Army plays Oklahoma on Sept. 26
 #30325  by Roundball
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:31 am
Wow. I never thought I would call Danny Ford a voice of reason.
 #30327  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:02 am
Roundball wrote:
Apparently, according to the Book of Danny, there are at least 3 levels of one becoming deceased. These levels are...

1) Death, or
2) Passing Away, or
3) Seriously Passing Away

I wish ‘Clem‘ Phillips hadn’t reached at least one of these levels in’03, so he could interpret & explain to us the difference in each.

FUBeAR is thinking, perhaps, there is some alignment with these deceased levels and the afterlife levels of Heaven, Limbo, and Purgatory. But that omits Hell.

Oh, I know - that level is called “Cock Fanhood”
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #30328  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:48 am
We will never get another game against a FBS opponent if we sue Tennessee and the SEC. We need the big money games to survive long term.

Interesting article from the P&C, includes comments about the SEC contracts and working with Wofford. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 72c33.html
Bingo. It doesn’t matter what the contract says. They have the power of the blackball. They can do whatever they want, pay whatever they want with or without a pandemic and all we can say is thank you. They can make sure there’s a phantom infraction when they need it (like maybe on an onside kick) and we just have to say “Do it again please”. That’s the position we choose to be in. As long as we have no pride at all, it’s ok.

I do not accept that $500k-1M payoff once a year is the only thing keeping a $25M program running. Modest cross the board cuts would free us.
 #30329  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am
soconjohn wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:24 am
Sorry I got a little upset about that...It's just that this whole year has been seemingly bad for the league and college athletics...But I really want to see FCS football make it financially...And when schools refuse to pay out when they know the future for these FCS schools is hanging in the balance, and they do nothing when they have something to help with...That's the worst kind of greed...Someone said it earlier...I never want to see Furman or any SoCon program back out of smaller FCS games if at all possible...I am more firm on that now than ever...Because I don't want to be a program that turns the other way when programs are in need...Don't be that guy in life or in college athletics.
In this situation, though, I think it by necessity. A few points that, I think, put this into some context.

- According to the AJC, Georgia and Clemson signed to play in the "Chic-Fil-A Kickoff Classic" for a guaranteed $5million payout. Assume $2.5million per school. https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/geor ... GUTSh6ReM/

- The article also reports that UGA makes about $3.5million per home game at Sanford Stadium.

- The article from the P&C indicates that USC would have to make a payout of $3million to buy out their non-Clemson opponents on this year's schedule (Coastal, ECU, Wofford).

- Assuming some consistency in the numbers, one "major" out of conference game will make less money than paying off the other "smaller" non-conference games.

- Add to that that revenue is going to plummet when your game day capacity is going to be a fraction of what it normally is.

We also haven't seen the financial impact of this on college towns. Losing Clemson "game day" is going to impact Greenville, for instance. The hotel industry will suffer. Bars and restaurants. Smaller towns like Auburn where the economy is so closely tied to the college.

None of this is going to be pretty.
 #30330  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am
Roundball wrote:
We will never get another game against a FBS opponent if we sue Tennessee and the SEC. We need the big money games to survive long term.

Interesting article from the P&C, includes comments about the SEC contracts and working with Wofford. https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 72c33.html
Believe me FU is not going to sue UT or anyone else. JD said they have had good communication with UT and that included possible compensation and rescheduling the game.
 #30331  by cavedweller2
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 am
Roundball wrote:
Danny is very very excited and very very proud to be quoted on the UFFP.
 #30332  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:

Believe me FU is not going to sue UT or anyone else. JD said they have had good communication with UT and that included possible compensation and rescheduling the game.
Precisely what I argued would be best the result.
 #30333  by FurmAlum
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:

That makes me feel a whole lot better. A lawsuit should be a last resort. The idea about a game with OK is intriguing but is a long shot. I am cautiously optimistic. We'll be lucky just to have a season.
 #30336  by Thorny
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:45 pm
At this point wouldn't we, both players and fans, be better off if football was delayed until Spring?
 #30338  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:14 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:

That makes me feel a whole lot better. A lawsuit should be a last resort. The idea about a game with OK is intriguing but is a long shot. I am cautiously optimistic. We'll be lucky just to have a season.
In another sense, this is essentially a pre-suit settlement.

Furman gets some money and a future game. UT doesn't have to pay Furman the full freight.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:04 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.