• No 2020 Season

#30272  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm
“ Conference USA is still planning on keeping an eight-game conference schedule, allowing members to keep four non-conference games and schedule each other as non-conference make-up opponents, according to Stadium college football reporter Brett McMurphy.”
apaladin liked this
 #30273  by The Jackal
A few of my thoughts:

- I suspect my suspicion was correct - the SEC knew it couldn't play out of conference contests without paying off the canceled teams. Either play/pay all of them, or none of them.

- I do not know if this was intended, but by announcing their "plus one" model yesterday, the ACC essentially makes it the SEC's fault for canceling long running rivalry games. I expect the ACC made that schedule already knowing what the SEC was going to do.

- I would expect the SoCon know to go to a conference only model. Without the revenue from the Tennessee game, I doubt Furman will be excited about spending money to bring in Presbyterian or hitting the road against Charleston Southern. Like with Tennessee, Furman will need the SoCon to go conference only to avoid those games.

- While games against James Madison and NDSU are enticing, there's just no money in it. Even for large traveling fan bases, most folks are not traveling, not staying in hotels, not driving any significant distance, etc.

- Maybe one of the G5 schools wants to pay us to come up the road a bit for a game. A team like App State may fit the bill - game check + limited travel.
apaladin liked this
 #30274  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
A few of my thoughts:

- I suspect my suspicion was correct - the SEC knew it couldn't play out of conference contests without paying off the canceled teams. Either play/pay all of them, or none of them.

- I do not know if this was intended, but by announcing their "plus one" model yesterday, the ACC essentially makes it the SEC's fault for canceling long running rivalry games. I expect the ACC made that schedule already knowing what the SEC was going to do.

- I would expect the SoCon know to go to a conference only model. Without the revenue from the Tennessee game, I doubt Furman will be excited about spending money to bring in Presbyterian or hitting the road against Charleston Southern. Like with Tennessee, Furman will need the SoCon to go conference only to avoid those games.

- While games against James Madison and NDSU are enticing, there's just no money in it. Even for large traveling fan bases, most folks are not traveling, not staying in hotels, not driving any significant distance, etc.

- Maybe one of the G5 schools wants to pay us to come up the road a bit for a game. A team like App State may fit the bill - game check + limited travel.
I sure hope you are right JK. A conference only schedule would be O.K. with me if that's what we need to do to have a season. Dang, I was looking forward to going to the UT game. It's only a 3 hr. drive.
 #30275  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:55 pm
Paul C wrote:
“ Conference USA is still planning on keeping an eight-game conference schedule, allowing members to keep four non-conference games and schedule each other as non-conference make-up opponents, according to Stadium college football reporter Brett McMurphy.”
Finally a conference with a little backbone. The only one unless the Big 12 comes thru.
 #30276  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
A few of my thoughts:

I would hate to see us screw over Chas Southern and P.C. the way we were screwed. I doubt we are really paying P.C. much and a 2 hr trip to Summerville just isn’t a big deal is it? I don’t understand why we would want to go conference only. A game is a game.
 #30277  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Don’t see any chance of picking up a money game since this is why the big boys cancelled ooc games to avoid paying teams with no or few fans. Safety has zero to do with it. Think it is funny the ACC made provisions to keep a few in state rival games and the SEC said FU. FU could easily pick up an additional game but not for money. I think the SoCon will scrap this season now anyway. There will be costs involved for testing etc and how can FU afford to lose $650k(UTgame) yet pay for testing etc when they can barely keep the lights on?
We’ve got over a $1billion in assets. We can afford to play. If we don’t play it’s because we really aren’t that into it.
 #30278  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:40 pm
It's all about the money with the SEC. They just didn't want to have to pay anyone to come play since they can't fill their stadiums. Nevermind they are making mega bucks from T.V. All the B.S. about player safety is just that, hypocritical B.S.

If they are going to play 10 games, why not 12? I agree with F-oid. Let's play P.C. and Chas. Souhthern, a full SoCon schedule, and maybe pick up a last minute game with an FBS team or a strong FCS team.

P.S. What would happen if Clempson and the Sand Chickens decided to play their game anyway and defy the SEC and ACC?
FUBeAR, fupaladin01 liked this
 #30279  by fufanatic
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 pm
Really bummed about the UT game, but I would rather play them with the full pageantry of 100K+ fans instead of an empty stadium. I hope we can shift the game to sometime in the future.
apaladin, FurmAlum, dornb liked this
 #30280  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 pm
The ACC and SEC selfish decision screws and/or hangs out to dry 71 teams. Some multiple times. Here is a complete list:
Ohio
Holy Cross
Akron
Citadel
MTSU twice
Elon
Charlotte twice
W. Virginia
Stamford
Boise St
Gardner-Webb
UCF twice
Murray St
WKU
Temple
Wagner
UAB
Troy twice
Liberty 3 times
JMU
UConn 3 times
Miami(o)
Marshall
W. Mich.
VMI
Old Dominion twice
N. Alabama
App. St.
Georgia St.
Kent St. twice
Nevada
Cha.Southern
ULM twice
So. Miss.
UMass
E. Washington
S. Alabama
N. Mex. St.
ETSU
E. Mich. twice
E. Illinois
UTSA
Texas
Rice
Nichols
N. Mexico
Tulane
C. Arkansas
BYU
Louisiana
Baylor
S.E. Missouri
Ga. Southern
Coastal
Wofford
ECU
Furman
Oklahoma
Abilene Christian
N. Texas
Colorado
Fresno St.
Mercer
Kansas St.
Colo. St.
La. Tech
Thanks ACC and SEC!! FU!!
FurmAlum liked this
 #30281  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:32 am
The Citadel might get lucky. I can see Clemson keeping that game and dropping Akron.
 #30282  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 am
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:51 pm
Really bummed about the UT game, but I would rather play them with the full pageantry of 100K+ fans instead of an empty stadium. I hope we can shift the game to sometime in the future.
It was going to be a pretty nice set up for Furman. We played UT in between arguably the two biggest games on their schedule - Oklahoma and Florida. We were not their home opener, so that buzz would have already subsided. New rules would also have reduced the crowd size significantly.

That is sort of the perfect recipe for an upset - a good but overlooked FCS team, a less energetic fan base, and a prototypical "trap" game.
apaladin, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #30283  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 am
I wish the SoCon and maybe all of FCS would agree to count these games as forfeits just to mess with them. After all, these ARE forfeits. One team is ready and the other is a no show.

I also hope somebody at least threatens loudly to take legal action. The “the SEC made me do it” argument is only valid if your school voted against it. I might even accuse them of conspiracy to defraud because that’s what it is. Anyway I hope we mess with them.

I guess we’re gonna find out how many programs can’t survive without a money game. I think that notion is exaggerated or at least I hope it is.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #30284  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am
Furmanoid wrote:
I wish the SoCon and maybe all of FCS would agree to count these games as forfeits just to mess with them. After all, these ARE forfeits. One team is ready and the other is a no show.

I also hope somebody at least threatens loudly to take legal action. The “the SEC made me do it” argument is only valid if your school voted against it. I might even accuse them of conspiracy to defraud because that’s what it is. Anyway I hope we mess with them.

I guess we’re gonna find out how many programs can’t survive without a money game. I think that notion is exaggerated or at least I hope it is.
None of that is correct.

These are no more forfeits than it was when Colgate canceled on us with a pending hurricane or we bought out Delaware to play Missouri.

What legal action would you suggest? The entire reason the SEC has made the decision it did is to foreclose legal action. They sacrificed some big money games to avoid having to be sued by three dozen or more different schools for breach of contract.

I don't specifically know how each conference works, but they are a confederation of teams that make decisions based on a unified structure. I'm sure USC wants to play Clemson, but the conference decision is the one that matters.
Roundball liked this
 #30285  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:42 am
I really hate the cancellation of the UT game. That would have been the largest stadium FU had ever played in. Hate It for us fans but especially the players and coaches as I know they really forward to the FBS games. Especially hate it for the seniors. Like Jackal said it was a perfect setup for FU to pull an upset. Even if it is rescheduled it will be years from now and set up won’t be the same. FU has an FBS game thru 2025 so the earliest it could be is 2026 unless we opt for 2 FBS games which is very unlikely.
 #30286  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am
Furmanoid wrote:

None of that is correct.

These are no more forfeits than it was when Colgate canceled on us with a pending hurricane or we bought out Delaware to play Missouri.

What legal action would you suggest? The entire reason the SEC has made the decision it did is to foreclose legal action. They sacrificed some big money games to avoid having to be sued by three dozen or more different schools for breach of contract.

I don't specifically know how each conference works, but they are a confederation of teams that make decisions based on a unified structure. I'm sure USC wants to play Clemson, but the conference decision is the one that matters.
It was reasonable for Colgate to fear coming to a state threatened by a hurricane. They are Yankees and don’t understand such things. But isn’t it absurd to assert that UT would be endangered by allowing Furman to come and play on their field but not endangered by letting Florida, UGA or LSU come and play? A game is a game. There is no force majeure argument because such forces do not recognize conference affiliations.

The other defense in the contract is if cancellation is forced by the SEC. The way I understand it, the decision was made by a vote of AD’s. I assume UT voted to screw us. So I’m not sure they can argue that they were forced to cancel when they colluded to make sure they would be forced.

They are just assuming correctly that nobody will force the issue legally for fear of being blackballed and no longer being allowed to whore themselves out to the SEC. Our lawyers could at least mess with them if we weren’t chicken.

As for forfeits, that’s in the eye of the beholder. But most of the time in most sports, games etc for hundreds of years its been accepted that if a contest is scheduled and somebody chooses not to show up just because he doesn’t want to, he didn’t cancel, he forfeited. Calling them forfeits is only a silly gesture (an accurate silly gesture) but it’s the kind of thing that can give the average SEC fan apoplexy. So go FU we’re 1-0. The Vols are 0-4.