• No 2020 Season

#30226  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:34 pm
Somebody please enlighten me. This makes no sense. Why would they play 11 games and not 12? Is playing one less OOC game going to keep everybody safe! :D

I don't see any logical reason to cancel outdoor sports with very little fan attendance like golf and tennis.
 #30227  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 pm
Agree Furman Alum except for the President part. The Dems offered no help, opposed his early China travel ban and their leaders let their states get out of control fast. Don’t want to get into another political discussion, lol. Not playing football will not make it better. Let’s play ball!
The Dems would have probably screwed it up worst than what it is.
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #30228  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:52 pm
I’m pleasantly surprised by the ACC plan. I thought Syracuse (or their governor at least), BC and Duke would torpedo it. The SEC will now be shamed into playing at least as full a schedule.
 #30229  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Somebody please enlighten me. This makes no sense. Why would they play 11 games and not 12? Is playing one less OOC game going to keep everybody safe! :D

I don't see any logical reason to cancel outdoor sports with very little fan attendance like golf and tennis.
I agree, playing 11 instead of 12 makes no sense but with 20% attendance it’s all about the money. They won’t say that of course. I am still holding out hope the SEC and Big 12 play their complete schedules.
 #30231  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

I agree, playing 11 instead of 12 makes no sense but with 20% attendance it’s all about the money. They won’t say that of course. I am still holding out hope the SEC and Big 12 play their complete schedules.
Nearly every decision made at every level is economic. If it wasn't motivated by money, we'd send everyone home for two weeks and let this pestilence pass by us.
 #30232  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 pm
So much for the UT game as there is areport that the SEC is moving toward an all conference schedule. So with the Soon losing all their ACC and SEC games, not to mention other games what does the SoCon do? Prolly know soon. I think we already know the answer.
 #30233  by bj93
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 am
I think we've all know that we wouldn't play (SOCON) for a while. The bigger and most important question then becomes will FU continue to have football (or any athletics for that matter) going forward.
 #30235  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:05 am
It still seems like the financial impact of losing the money games would hit next season. Seems like cancelling this season doesn’t save any money unless you take away the scholarships and fire the staff ASAP.

In our case at least, the notion that a UT games pays for our athletic program is a little sketchy. It is probably less than 5% of the budget. As it stands our budget (I’ve read) is something like $25M. Total athletics revenues is about $4M. So without the UT game we’re in the hole $22M instead of $21M. Is that really so apocalyptic? It almost seems like noise. And since there is much talk every year about doing away with “cupcake” games in the Power 5, I would hope FU has already developed a plan for that scenario.

I do worry about other schools, and I wonder if a good many haven’t been in over their heads for a good while. If other SoCon teams are too financially feeble to handle this 100 year event, maybe they belong in DII. But they may as well play this season and bring in some revenue since the scholarship and salary money is already spent.

Maybe to prevent a 2021 die off of FCS programs NCAA could lower the scholarship limits to make the division more affordable in the future.
 #30239  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:14 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am
"How Tennessee football's game contracts offer strong protections in case of cancellation." https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/c ... 460499002/
The article doesn’t clearly address the issue of UT possibly cherry picking an ooc versus Oklahoma while stiffing the rest of us. It appears that would only be possible if the SEC puts out an edict telling them to do it. Is the SEC really going to pick a specific ooc opponent for each team? They should go ahead and pay us now for a rescheduled game in a year or two. That would be a perfectly fair solution. Hopefully our legal team will make them aware that we expect to be paid. It can be for a rescheduled game or they can pay us to accept their forfeit.
 #30240  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
"How Tennessee football's game contracts offer strong protections in case of cancellation." https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/c ... 460499002/
The article doesn’t clearly address the issue of UT possibly cherry picking an ooc versus Oklahoma while stiffing the rest of us. It appears that would only be possible if the SEC puts out an edict telling them to do it. Is the SEC really going to pick a specific ooc opponent for each team? They should go ahead and pay us now for a rescheduled game in a year or two. That would be a perfectly fair solution. Hopefully our legal team will make them aware that we expect to be paid. It can be for a rescheduled game or they can pay us to accept their forfeit.
The way I read the article is that if the SEC says no ooc games, they don't have to pay us. Supposedly, the SEC AD’s approved a plan yesterday to play 10 conference games only. The presidents should vote on that plan today. If the SEC says 10 conference games plus only 1 ooc game, then they don't have to pay us. However, I'm thinking if Tennessee has to pick between the three ooc teams on the schedule that are home games, they will pick us. We are getting paid the least amount, and they think it's a sure win.
 #30245  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am
It seems like the defense has to be “We wanted to play but the mean old SEC wouldn’t let us.” But that argument is a little flimsy if the UT AD voted for the prohibition. I would think the “SEC edict or prohibition” language is referring to an edict from the commissioner over which the school had no say. It doesn’t seem right to collude with the other SEC schools to damage a bunch of ooc schools and then pretend you had nothing to do with it.

The force majeure language doesn’t help them any because it says playing would have to be impossible or impractical.

I think they may back out but reach some settlement to make us whole. Reputation still means something here unlike the Big 10 states.
 #30248  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
The way I read the article is that if the SEC says no ooc games, they don't have to pay us. Supposedly, the SEC AD’s approved a plan yesterday to play 10 conference games only. The presidents should vote on that plan today. If the SEC says 10 conference games plus only 1 ooc game, then they don't have to pay us. However, I'm thinking if Tennessee has to pick between the three ooc teams on the schedule that are home games, they will pick us. We are getting paid the least amount, and they think it's a sure win.
It depends on the contract language.

Bottom line, I think the entire college football landscape is waiting on the SEC. They are the biggest fish. They have the most money. What they do is going to send a ripple through the sport.
 #30250  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm
Mark emmert will at least help the FCS with our “round robin 20 team playoff”

What a joke.

This year even with football is disheartening for the players and fans.

I hope we win out and just destroy everyone. But the asterisks will always be there.

Question: the conferences and teams that opt out of the season, do the players get an extra year of elegibility?
 #30251  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:45 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm
Mark emmert will at least help the FCS with our “round robin 20 team playoff”

What a joke.

This year even with football is disheartening for the players and fans.

I hope we win out and just destroy everyone. But the asterisks will always be there.

Question: the conferences and teams that opt out of the season, do the players get an extra year of elegibility?
If we play a SoCon season, there's no need for an asterisk.

If NDSU and JMU are still lurking in the post season. No need for an asterisk.