#30186  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:25 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:56 pm
Furman, working with the SoCon and NCAA, has yet to make a plan or make any of these protocols
And you KNOW this, how, exactly?
I don’t know. Have they? What’s the plan? I would be more encouraged with an outline of how we play the season safely.

I haven’t seen it on this site, Furman sports site, or in the news. But maybe there is.
OK - so you really have no idea whether Furman has a plan or not, but you have no problem asserting publicly, with certainty, that they do not have a plan. Got it.

furman88 liked this
 #30187  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm
Our football team, led by Clay Hendrix, certainly has a plan of protocol. We don't need to know what it is. You can rest assured the players and the coaching staff are ready. Same with our basketball team. To think there is no plan is foolish.
FUKA61, FUBeAR, FurmAlum liked this
 #30190  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:08 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm
Our football team, led by Clay Hendrix, certainly has a plan of protocol. We don't need to know what it is. You can rest assured the players and the coaching staff are ready. Same with our basketball team. To think there is no plan is foolish.
Agree 100%. You can bet your ass they have a plan and a good one too. I agree KX that football should not be put ahead of education or public health. But I don't think not playing is going to solve a thing or cause any undo risk if it is done properly. The virus is already out of control and is going to get worse before it gets better. And that has been caused by people doing stupid things like those baseball players going to the strip club mentioned on a previous post . They ought to be thrown off the team for the whole year.

And as uncomfortable to some people to hear this it has been caused by poor leadership from the President of the USA and to listening to politicians instead of educated public health officials and doctors. This pandemic could have been contained early with some strong protocols without shutting down the whole economy.

It's going to be a crying shame if we can't play the season because we have a chance to be really good this year. Our coaches and players have worked hard and I don't want this opportunity taken away from them. At this point I don't think playing football outdoors or any other outdoor sports is putting sports before education or public safety.

Let's play ball!
apaladin, din23, fufanatic liked this
 #30191  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 pm
Agree Furman Alum except for the President part. The Dems offered no help, opposed his early China travel ban and their leaders let their states get out of control fast. Don’t want to get into another political discussion, lol. Not playing football will not make it better. Let’s play ball!
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #30192  by purplehorse
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 am
Nobody will ever know what any other President would have done. Leader A could do the right thing for the wrong reason and leader B could do the wrong thing for the right reason (at any level-governor, mayor etc. and regardless of political party). Much of the problem has to do with the inefficiency of Federal bureaucracy. I personally think the media is a large part of the problem.

There are many outstanding physicians on both sides of the debate about how serious this really is.-and both sides have facts. The answer is nobody knows all the answers. And with 100 % certainty this pandemic has been politicized.

Back to football! I started this thread and have changed my mind. I now think the football season will take place.
apaladin, dornb, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #30194  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 am
I’m feeling better about this season as well. I had been thinking that the narrative of “stupid southern states opening too soon and even considering football” would beat even the football loving South into submission. But by golly it looks like we are weathering the storm, and yesterday the reporting finally admitted the disease is “ebbing in the Sunbelt”. However, college Presidents are still capable of pretty erratic behavior as I found out yesterday.

Last week CofC had us sign up for a move in date. Yesterday they decided to delay in person classes and move in by 3 weeks. They cite strain on local hospitals as a key reason, but Chas. Co. hospitals are down to 64% occupancy. So the CofC decision to delay came after IMPROVEMENT in the situation. It reminds me of a week or so back when a couple of Greenville doctors said they were being overrun when in fact occupancy was dropping. You just don’t know what to believe anymore, so there could still be football surprises ahead.

As to politics, it seems that there is a widely held belief in this country that the government should be able to fix any problem. There are also plenty of people who pretend to hold that belief any time a government they don’t like is facing an unsolvable problem. This is one of those problems. The government can’t win. First there was the belief that if we had developed a test in 2 weeks instead of four weeks we could have nipped it in the bud. But we now know the virus was already spread all over the country. Then we were supposedly short 10s of thousands of ventilators. Not true. Then there was the cry that we should maintain our ineffective lockdowns until mid-2021 which was just stupid. Now we are fighting over masks that virtually everybody wears whether they believe in them or not.

Nobody can point to a government action taken anywhere in the world that clearly worked. The good results in a handful of countries are more likely due to things like immunity, a milder strain of the virus (especially in Asia), low BMI’s, probably lack of AC/time spent in open air, widespread use of anti malarials, etc.
apaladin, FurmanMom60 liked this
 #30195  by JohnW
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:55 am
Just for laughs. The US has roughly 14% of the world's population. It has roughly 25% of the deaths. The EU with 400+ million residents is reporting 5K new infections per day, the US ten times that number. POTUS is re-tweeting voodoo while our response is barely first world.

As for football, if the SoCon plays we will play.
AstroDin, FU3, FUKA61 and 5 others liked this
 #30196  by Flagman
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:55 am
Just for laughs. The US has roughly 14% of the world's population. It has roughly 25% of the deaths. The EU with 400+ million residents is reporting 5K new infections per day, the US ten times that number. POTUS is re-tweeting voodoo while our response is barely first world.

As for football, if the SoCon plays we will play.
I'm not laughing, although Trump, Jr. and Trump tweeting that video without checking it out is pretty funny. These are serious times, and we need serious leadership. Unfortunately, we don't have it.
Roundball, JohnKX512, FUKA61 and 3 others liked this
 #30197  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am
These are serious times, and we need serious leadership. Unfortunately, we don't have it.
DISAGREE!

I think the Admins on this board do a fantastic job!!
 #30198  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am
Agree about the media, even locally. Everyday channel 4 reports so and so new cases and SC now has so and so confirmed cases. Not true most of those cases don’t exist now. Then every day they say that the cases are an increase of so and so from yesterday. At least twice this week there was a good drop in cases from the day before. Didn’t mention that the cases were a decrease of so and so from yesterday. :shock: :shock:
 #30199  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am
If we had done nothing and let it run it's course without any shutdown or quarantine it would be over now. The shutdown and sending people home prolonged the situation. Masks are a useless gesture.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #30201  by FU3
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:25 am
That worked like a charm in Sweden and Brazil.
 #30202  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:26 am
Much of the first world is “barely first world” in terms of statistics because they actually try to count accurately and err on the high side. In deaths per capita we are doing better than several EU countries (Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, virtually tied with France, not too much higher than the Netherlands). Total EU numbers are helped by outliers in Germany and Austria. Our numbers are inflated by outliers in the northeast where they have fantastic leadership we are told. Overall I think our performance is outstanding considering our outrageously high obesity rate and overall self inflicted bad health.

Fortunately we have bad leadership in our state which is generally correlated to low mortality and the freedom to have stuff like football.
 #30203  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am
Agree about the media, even locally. Everyday channel 4 reports so and so new cases and SC now has so and so confirmed cases. Not true most of those cases don’t exist now. Then every day they say that the cases are an increase of so and so from yesterday. At least twice this week there was a good drop in cases from the day before. Didn’t mention that the cases were a decrease of so and so from yesterday. :shock: :shock:
"Most of these cases don't exist now." What? Has the virus disappeared?
 #30204  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am
Recovered. At the moment statewide we have 401 in icu beds and 256 of those are on ventilators. There are about 1500 in hospitals (including those 401). But they test pretty much everybody in the hospital even if they’re there for hip surgery. That’s why it’s reported as hospitalized “with” Covid 19 instead of “for” Covid 19.