• No 2020 Season

#30163  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:44 pm
The sports media, which is made up of people who hate sports, will use this as ammo in their fight to prevent college football. Never mind the fact that the Marlins are from the hottest of hotspots, the journalism majors have concluded that they would have been ok if they just hadn’t played baseball (which offers almost zero opportunity to get infected). At some point, the only way to play sports is to accept the fact that the players will sometimes get infected whether they play or not.
The Marlins played two exhibition games in Atlanta and then went to Philadelphia. They weren't in Florida.

Odds are, some of the team contracted the virus sampling the Atlanta nightlife.
 #30166  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am
The lap dancer with the hacking cough should be avoided.
I thought the Clermont Lounge had closed & she was restricted to quarters in her nursing home. No?
 #30167  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The sports media, which is made up of people who hate sports, will use this as ammo in their fight to prevent college football. Never mind the fact that the Marlins are from the hottest of hotspots, the journalism majors have concluded that they would have been ok if they just hadn’t played baseball (which offers almost zero opportunity to get infected). At some point, the only way to play sports is to accept the fact that the players will sometimes get infected whether they play or not.
 #30168  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Roundball wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I read the article you posted about the Marlins, I guess you didn’t. The writer took the misfortune of a few Marlins and turned it into a rationale for cancelling all sports and school, and did so with the usual “I told you so” attitude common in media. Why do you think decision makers are “shaken” (as you put it) by these stories? Because they are afraid of bad press, that’s why. If the problem were just coming up with protocols to keep risk as low as reasonably achievable there would be no question about playing. But the press has made it pretty clear that they expect a completely unreasonable level of risk, much lower than that to the average student. Why are they doing that?

I heard at least a couple of radio guys last week bashing the overall trend in sports media to root against any effort to have anything like normal seasons. I don’t know if they were wearing tin foil.
 #30169  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:47 am
This might be a good sign. Two Big 12 members, Oklahoma and Kansas have both moved their FCS games up to week zero Aug. 29th. Sounds like they are planning on a full schedule.
Kansas actually moved up the game and found a replacement opponent (an FCS team - SIU) to fill a spot vacated by New Hampshire after the Colonial opted out of football.
More encouraging news: Iowa State has replaced their cancelled game with Iowa with Ball State. The NCAA has issued a blanket waiver for all FBS teams to play in week zero(Aug. 29th). Iowa St is the 3rd Big 12 team to replace cancelled games so it looks like the Big 12 is planning a full schedule or close to it. Hope the ACC and SEC take note.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-issues-bla ... o-in-2020/
 #30170  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Roundball wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I read the article you posted about the Marlins, I guess you didn’t. The writer took the misfortune of a few Marlins and turned it into a rationale for cancelling all sports and school, and did so with the usual “I told you so” attitude common in media. Why do you think decision makers are “shaken” (as you put it) by these stories? Because they are afraid of bad press, that’s why. If the problem were just coming up with protocols to keep risk as low as reasonably achievable there would be no question about playing. But the press has made it pretty clear that they expect a completely unreasonable level of risk, much lower than that to the average student. Why are they doing that?

I heard at least a couple of radio guys last week bashing the overall trend in sports media to root against any effort to have anything like normal seasons. I don’t know if they were wearing tin foil.
First, I did not post the story about the Marlins. As for that story, it was written by a guy that is not in sports media. Sorry, buy your rationale makes no sense. These folks get paid off sports taking place. Why would they wish for something bad to happen to the industry that feeds their family? I don’t buy it.

The decision makers do indeed care about bad press, the bad press of a player or coach getting and dying of the virus. They care about the student-athletes, coaches, staff, and the parents and grandparents. I hope football is played, but I will also understand if the decision is made to cancel the season. The university presidents and AD’s are earning their pay right now.
 #30172  by JohnKX512
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:56 pm
A team (The Marlins) that are being paid millions of dollars, has a player union, and has worked months to plan for this schedule, and working with extreme protocols and testing to eliminate any infection....has 17 Covid cases. They have since had to postpone games and it looks like they may have to cancel the season...that is one week in.

Furman, working with the SoCon and NCAA, has yet to make a plan or make any of these protocols, for a season starting in a few weeks.

What is the current answer for if our team, or any team we are playing against or travelling to, has a Covid outbreak?

If it is that they will be infected, then how do you proceed with a season?
A. Continue = spreading to multiple municipalities, family, friends, on, and on, and on.
B. Cancel the season

Wear a mask, social distance, and stop the spread. You, your family, the students may not die, but they will be sick. We or those infected may spread it to those that may have a much worse outcome.
 #30173  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:

What is the current answer for if our team, or any team we are playing against or travelling to, has a Covid outbreak?
Who is to say it hasn't already happened?
 #30175  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:42 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
A team (The Marlins) that are being paid millions of dollars, has a player union, and has worked months to plan for this schedule, and working with extreme protocols and testing to eliminate any infection....has 17 Covid cases. They have since had to postpone games and it looks like they may have to cancel the season...that is one week in.

Furman, working with the SoCon and NCAA, has yet to make a plan or make any of these protocols, for a season starting in a few weeks.

If it is that they will be infected, then how do you proceed with a season?
A. Continue = spreading to multiple municipalities, family, friends, on, and on, and on.
B. Cancel the season

Wear a mask, social distance, and stop the spread. You, your family, the students may not die, but they will be sick. We or those infected may spread it to those that may have a much worse outcome.
Do you honestly believe they caught it playing baseball?

I don’t think we know what FU’s protocols are but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any. The NCAA ones are pretty straight forward and plenty strict. If you’re positive, you’re out 10 days. The tricky thing is that anyone you’ve had contact with or been within 6 ft of for 15 minutes is also out. That’s sort of crazy and unscientific but ok. So designing practices is very tricky, but not impossible.

Obviously you wouldn’t take your sick guys to the road games to spread it to other municipalities. As far as spreading to family and friends, players will be less likely to do that than anybody in America because they’ll get tested all the time. If you cancel, they’ll spread it just like everybody else.

You’d probably only dress a bare minimum for any game to keep sideline crowding down. You might put linemen in some sort of modified visor. Keep in mind that everybody will be asymptomatic with presumably a very low viral load if they have one. The WHO would consider all of these guys very low risk spreaders. They couldn’t have been infected for more than a few days.

If the locker room is a worry, don’t use it. Just use some outdoor partitions for modesty.

If a team has an outbreak of 10, 20, 30 guys they get isolated , so how are they gonna spread it? You’d still have plenty of guys to play and every couple of weeks you get recovered guys back for good. Rosters may be normal by November.

As for coaches, if they just can’t keep their distance, put them in N95’s and they’ll be fine.
 #30176  by fufanatic
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:56 pm
If we really are going to get weird with this fall schedule, I wouldn't be that opposed to some South Carolina round robin thing where our schedule features Clemson, USC, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, Citadel, PC, SC State, Charleston Southern ... maybe you bring in the states of Georgia and North Carolina too so you can make up a complete schedule and it gives the big schools several games against FBS foes. So Clemson's schedule could feature Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, App State, East Carolina, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State or Georgia Southern and one FCS team.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #30177  by JohnKX512
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:58 pm
I don’t believe they caught it playing baseball. That is sort of the point.

I’m in the minority of our forum that just thinks it is silly to do all of these things to save a half arsed season of sports.

I hope we are putting as much effort into educating these kids as we are to watch a game of football.

And if I was a player wasting a year of eligibility on a half arsed season then what’s the point?
 #30178  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 pm
They aren’t getting another year of eligibility if it’s cancelled, unless we don’t have recruiting class.
 #30181  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furman, working with the SoCon and NCAA, has yet to make a plan or make any of these protocols
And you KNOW this, how, exactly?
 #30184  by JohnKX512
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furman, working with the SoCon and NCAA, has yet to make a plan or make any of these protocols
And you KNOW this, how, exactly?
I don’t know. Have they? What’s the plan? I would be more encouraged with an outline of how we play the season safely.

I haven’t seen it on this site, Furman sports site, or in the news. But maybe there is.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.