• No 2020 Season

#30104  by HB88
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:35 pm
I agree for right now but after the ACC and SEC announce conference only or rather their pick and choose schedules I think the SoCon will make an announcement, good or bad, most likely bad.
[/quote]

Yes, I have heard that without the money games, the Southern Conference schools will not be able to move forward with fall football.
 #30105  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:44 pm
This is just my opinion, but if the P5 conferences go with a "plus 1" model and keep one out of conference game, I see no way that UT can avoid paying Furman something.

Now, could Furman take less money because they don't have to incur the expense of a road game? Maybe.

If Furman can get the money game payment and play an all SoCon schedule, I'll be good with that. Those are the games I look forward to anyway, and the P5 games are just there by necessity.
 #30106  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
This is just my opinion, but if the P5 conferences go with a "plus 1" model and keep one out of conference game, I see no way that UT can avoid paying Furman something.

Now, could Furman take less money because they don't have to incur the expense of a road game? Maybe.

If Furman can get the money game payment and play an all SoCon schedule, I'll be good with that. Those are the games I look forward to anyway, and the P5 games are just there by necessity.
If we get paid, I agree that the all SoCon schedule would work. However, I don't see us getting paid and therefore we cannot afford to have a season. I just don't see how any SoCon teams will play without the money games. The conference cannot afford to play any games when average will be less than 2,000. The math does not work, plus the idea of losing money in this risky pandemic enviroment makes no sense. I hope I am wrong.
 #30107  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 pm
Take a step back and look at the possible ideas.

One is a hopeful game with a FBS team or two, making some money. That is best case scenario.

Then we have talked about our isolating players for a "bubble" but leaving students out of on campus? Just for sports? This seams great to be able to watch our athletes and save a season, but to take away all students from campus to just play possible 10 games?

Come on guys. We need to be focused on the students before the athletes. What is the academic schedule and how is this going to affect their actual degree and education.

Sorry I am a downer. We are focused so much on having sports that we haven't focused on having education and adequate Furman level learning.
 #30109  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

If we get paid, I agree that the all SoCon schedule would work. However, I don't see us getting paid and therefore we cannot afford to have a season. I just don't see how any SoCon teams will play without the money games. The conference cannot afford to play any games when average will be less than 2,000. The math does not work, plus the idea of losing money in this risky pandemic enviroment makes no sense. I hope I am wrong.
But if you think about it, isn’t 80or 90% of the money already spent even if we cancel? The scholarships, salaries and equipment are already paid. Playing just adds some travel and utilities for the stadium. That’s about it. Money wise you are better off playing and getting at least some revenue seems like.
apaladin liked this
 #30113  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

But if you think about it, isn’t 80or 90% of the money already spent even if we cancel? The scholarships, salaries and equipment are already paid. Playing just adds some travel and utilities for the stadium. That’s about it. Money wise you are better off playing and getting at least some revenue seems like.
Agree and don’t forget refunding the season ticket sales which prolly isn’t huge but still a good chunk of change. A lot of peeps(mostly FBS peeps)think these FBS games fund schools like Furman’s entire athletic budget which is laughable, it’s not even close but it’s out there. The FBS games help of course but they are not the be all end all.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #30135  by The Jackal
 Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

At this moment, Furman does not appear to be the one potentially canceling the game, Tennessee would.

I also do not think that the money is spent the way you are suggesting. We get a certain amount to go play Tennessee. We incur costs and expenses to make that game happen (food, lodging, travel, footballs, whatever). I would expect that money just goes into the athletic budget - probably for next year.

I will say, though, that you may find Furman canceling other games if UT cancels on them. Furman may not be willing to incur the costs of paying Presbyterian to play in Greenville or incurring the travel cost to play Charleston Southern if the UT money isn't in the bank. That or next year you will see exciting matchups against North Greenville or Greer High School.
 #30136  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:47 am
This might be a good sign. Two Big 12 members, Oklahoma and Kansas have both moved their FCS games up to week zero Aug. 29th. Sounds like they are planning on a full schedule.
FUKA61 liked this
 #30139  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:47 am
This might be a good sign. Two Big 12 members, Oklahoma and Kansas have both moved their FCS games up to week zero Aug. 29th. Sounds like they are planning on a full schedule.
Kansas actually moved up the game and found a replacement opponent (an FCS team - SIU) to fill a spot vacated by New Hampshire after the Colonial opted out of football.
apaladin, FUKA61 liked this
 #30154  by Flagman
 Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:10 pm
You would have flunked Dr. Buford's logic course. One has little to do with the other.
 #30156  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:44 pm
The sports media, which is made up of people who hate sports, will use this as ammo in their fight to prevent college football. Never mind the fact that the Marlins are from the hottest of hotspots, the journalism majors have concluded that they would have been ok if they just hadn’t played baseball (which offers almost zero opportunity to get infected). At some point, the only way to play sports is to accept the fact that the players will sometimes get infected whether they play or not.
 #30161  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:54 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:10 pm
You would have flunked Dr. Buford's logic course. One has little to do with the other.
Remember the one NBA player that tested positive? That ended the college basketball tournaments. Yes, what happens in MLB does affect what will happen in college football. It’s setbacks like this that shake the decision makers. By the way, it has nothing to do with the media. The sports media wants sports back. If there is no football, the blame goes to the conspiracy theorists and idiots that refused to believe in the science of social distancing and masks, and the terrible leadership of Trump.
 #30162  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 am
I’m feeling better about our game at Tennessee after reading this. https://apnews.com/8bf2d4915f2f97971e7b611c25d60113

“ SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE

SEC athletic directors left an in-person meeting with Commissioner Greg Sankey in Birmingham, Alabama, a couple of weeks ago with a few scheduling models on the table. Conference-only games never made sense for the SEC (or the ACC and Big 12). Why prevent Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and South Carolina from playing in-state ACC rivals? Auburn also is scheduled to play North Carolina from the ACC in Atlanta. The SEC could add a conference game to its eight-game slate. There has also been talk within the league of letting teams play as many nonconference games as they can to try to get as close as possible to a full 12-game season. The Big 12 is taking this approach, too. The SEC’s final decision could linger into next week.”