• The 2020 Season

#29926  by FU3
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:36 pm
I would be interested in hearing from FU BeAR on how mask wearing ordinances violate the fine citizens of Georgia’s rights under the US Constitution.
 #29927  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm
FU3 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:36 pm
I would be interested in hearing from FU BeAR on how mask wearing ordinances violate the fine citizens of Georgia’s rights under the US Constitution.
Globally speaking, any imposition by the government on freedoms to do what you want is an infringement on liberties. In many instances, the government can demonstrate that the benefits of the burden outweighs the infringement.

I think there's a perfectly fine argument that the imposition of a mask law is not a burdensome imposition on your liberties such that it would be unconstitutional.

Georgia's current issue is two fold:

First, the governor has issued a series of executive orders "protecting Georgians." In one of those orders he "strongly encourages" Georgians to wear masks. How can you put in an order that you "strongly encourage" someone to do something, you might ask. I have no idea. But that's what he did.

The order also provided that local municipalities could not impose rules stricter than the government did. Many local governments looked at the obvious ambiguity - you "encourage" me to wear masks, didn't order me to, but didn't order me not to. So they passed mask ordinances in several large cities (Savannah, Atlanta, Athens among them).

Second, the governor issued a new order two days ago that has the same "strongly encouraged" language from the prior order, but now prohibits local municipalities from ordering masks. Essentially, closing the loop hole.

What's peculiar is that the governor consistently argues that everyone should wear masks. He just won't require them to do it.

The annoyance of many in Georgia is that the governor has now put up a blockade to local government's doing what they need to do on the ground to protect their citizens. What makes Georgia an outlier is both that the governor has not ordered masks mandatory, but also prohibited local municipalities from making them mandatory in their own communities.
 #29929  by fufanatic
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:05 pm
I'll never understand why the government enforcing a mask policy during a PANDEMIC is somehow the first sign of a slippery slop to authoritarianism. Do you wear a seat belt? Stop at stop lights and stop signs? Drive on the right side of the road? Pay your taxes? Refrain from yelling bomb on an airplane?

Wearing a mask when you're at a public place indoors and in a crowded space outdoors is literally the least you can do to play your part in helping our society move past all this. Just like following all those driving rules is literally the least you can do to keep people as safe as possible on the roads. A mask isn't a 100% guarantee you won't get covid or pass it along to someone else, but it dramatically reduces the risks.
MidlandsPaladin, JohnKX512, underjack and 2 others liked this
 #29933  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:05 pm
I'll never understand why the government enforcing a mask policy during a PANDEMIC is somehow the first sign of a slippery slop to authoritarianism. Do you wear a seat belt? Stop at stop lights and stop signs? Drive on the right side of the road? Pay your taxes? Refrain from yelling bomb on an airplane?

Wearing a mask when you're at a public place indoors and in a crowded space outdoors is literally the least you can do to play your part in helping our society move past all this. Just like following all those driving rules is literally the least you can do to keep people as safe as possible on the roads. A mask isn't a 100% guarantee you won't get covid or pass it along to someone else, but it dramatically reduces the risks.
Coronavirus will go away with the heat...

will go away once we close the border...

other countries are way worse...

not as bad as the flu...

only affects old people...

blah. blah. blah.

I feel ya FuFanatic. Mask up and be happy.
Roundball, underjack liked this
 #29934  by Stumpy
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:23 pm
Can we please bring this back to the topic of the football season?
Davemeister liked this
 #29941  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:32 pm
Stumpy wrote:
At this point I am planning on playing golf Saturday afternoons this fall.
 #29947  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 pm
Stumpy wrote:
Absolutely!

Hopefully, I will be driving to football games this Fall wearing my seat belt, because I choose to and always have, even though I feel the laws ‘forcing’ me to wear it are a violation of my rights. If we do have Football games, when I leave the game, though I won’t drive if impaired, I hope to not be stopped at a DUI checkpoint, which would be a clear violation of my 4th amendment rights.

While at the hypothetical game, I may or may not choose to wear a mask, but I sure hope that no governmental body has overreached and passed a law or ordinance that says I have to. If Furman, a private entity, says I have to wear a mask to the game, I definitely will choose to wear one or choose to not to go to the game.

Regardless, I may choose to also wear bunny ears and googly-eye glasses to the game. As the NEJM and the WHO have recently said, and/or published reports that those 2 items are about as effective, in an open-air, socially distanced environment, as masks are for preventing viral spread. That said, I sure hope the government won’t pass a law or ordinance requiring me to wear bunny ears and google-eye glasses to the game.

#FUATT
apaladin, FurmanMom60, dornb liked this
 #29949  by Stumpy
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:10 pm
Now I can't stop thinking about your mom in bunny ears and googly-eye glasses, dammit.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29955  by Flagman
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
Absolutely!

Hopefully, I will be driving to football games this Fall wearing my seat belt, because I choose to and always have, even though I feel the laws ‘forcing’ me to wear it are a violation of my rights. If we do have Football games, when I leave the game, though I won’t drive if impaired, I hope to not be stopped at a DUI checkpoint, which would be a clear violation of my 4th amendment rights.

While at the hypothetical game, I may or may not choose to wear a mask, but I sure hope that no governmental body has overreached and passed a law or ordinance that says I have to. If Furman, a private entity, says I have to wear a mask to the game, I definitely will choose to wear one or choose to not to go to the game.

Regardless, I may choose to also wear bunny ears and googly-eye glasses to the game. As the NEJM and the WHO have recently said, and/or published reports that those 2 items are about as effective, in an open-air, socially distanced environment, as masks are for preventing viral spread. That said, I sure hope the government won’t pass a law or ordinance requiring me to wear bunny ears and google-eye glasses to the game.

#FUATT
Whatever it takes!
underjack liked this
 #29958  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:08 pm
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
Absolutely!

#FUATT
Whatever it takes!
Wear a mask everywhere and we may have football a lot sooner. And push on to winter and spring sports! To each their own, but FU to all.
underjack liked this
 #29959  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:54 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:08 pm
Flagman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
Absolutely!

#FUATT
Whatever it takes!
Wear a mask everywhere and we may have football a lot sooner. And push on to winter and spring sports! To each their own, but FU to all.
nah, FUBeAR prefers to follow / believe science & only wear one when, if worn properly (unlike most I see), it might actually do some good - non-socially-distanced, where / when I might be in prolonged close proximity with infected people, especially in an indoor / closed environment - pretty much the opposite of Paladin Stadium, where I hope to see Football played in the 2020 season because the SoCon & Furman make the right decision.
dornb liked this
 #29961  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:08 pm
Exactly. I fear that the mask movement has so exaggerated the protectiveness of the things that people will spend too much time in close proximity to infected people indoors. Actually I’m sure of it.
 #29964  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:50 pm
I keep hearing wear a mask, wear a mask and the more we wear our masks the “cases” keep exploding. Social distancing has been effect pretty much since day 1. Mask wearing has become the norm most everywhere the last month or so. I guess I am the only one that thinks these protocols have very little effect. Studies have shown that wearing masks had no effect on the spread of the flu so why is this any different?
 #29965  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:54 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:51 am
NCAA to require testing 72 hours before each contest.

Rose Bowl Parade cancelled.
The AAC conference not the NCAA but nice try. The NCAA has no power to require anything like this.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.