• In the Past

#29661  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:13 am
Bringing back lots of good memories in this thread. Need to also add the 45-10 thumping of GSU in 2000 when Ivory went off for 301 yards, most of which in the second half. Maybe the best half of football offensively I've ever seen the Paladins play. Two back-to-back 30-17 wins at home over citadel in 1988 and 1990 when they were absolutely, most-definitely our most-hated rival were pretty sweet as well. Stadium was packed for both of those games. Can you imagine we even had people sitting on the hills in front of the field house?
fufanatic, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #29664  by paladinfan12
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Best Furman Player I ever watched: Jerodis (Jerry) Williams or Dakota Dozier (Dozier was probably the best, but I couldn't tell a difference on O-line, Jerry though was a stud).
Best opposing player: Armanti Edwards
Best Game I attended: Fall 2011 Defeating App State at home
 #29765  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Best Furman Player I ever watched: Jerodis (Jerry) Williams or Dakota Dozier (Dozier was probably the best, but I couldn't tell a difference on O-line, Jerry though was a stud).
Best opposing player: Armanti Edwards
Best Game I attended: Fall 2011 Defeating App State at home
Dakota Dozier may well be one of the best overall players in Furman's history, but a guy that would be under-the-radar given the position he played.

In terms of guys that were NFL Draft picks that played 7+ years in the NFL, I think it'd be only Dozier, Felton, Whitehurst, and Jennings.
 #29775  by JohnKX512
 Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Felton was a cannonball. I think he was averaging over 4 yds a carry for a stretch there.

And six touchdowns against Western...
 #29784  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:54 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Felton was a cannonball. I think he was averaging over 4 yds a carry for a stretch there.

And six touchdowns against Western...
Felton was a guy that once he broke the line of scrimmage, nobody wanted any part of him. I remember seeing a few teams actively avoiding contact once he got a head of steam.
 #29786  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am
Great example of the stupid copycat mentality of the NFL. Felton would get the rock 1 or 2 times a year. It would work pretty good but they couldn’t give him the ball more because fullbacks don’t get the ball in today’s NFL. Just like running QBs never work except every time anybody tries it.
 #29788  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:41 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am
Great example of the stupid copycat mentality of the NFL. Felton would get the rock 1 or 2 times a year. It would work pretty good but they couldn’t give him the ball more because fullbacks don’t get the ball in today’s NFL. Just like running QBs never work except every time anybody tries it.
Agreed! Never understood why a guy that scored 60+ (?) TDs in college suddenly wasn't a good option to at the very least be given the ball near the goal line. Letting Felton tote the rock more might have kept Detroit from going 0-16.
 #29930  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:06 pm
Some of the best I have seen Furman face:

Larry Centers (Stephen F. Austin)
Ross Ortega/Justin Vargas (Nevada)
Archie Amerson (N. Arizona)
Troy Brown (Marshall)
David Patten (WCU)
Bobby Sippio (Western Kentucky)
Mel Mitchell (Western Kentucky)
Brad Hoover (WCU)
Dexter Coakley (Appalachian State)
Yohance Humphrey (Montana)
BJ Adigun (ETSU)
Donnie Abraham (ETSU)
Devlin Hodges (Samford)
Jaquiskii Tartt (Samford)
Jack Douglas (The Citadel)
Travis Jervey (The Citadel)
Everette Sands (The Citadel)
Matt Stevens (App State)
Josh Jeffries (App State)
KT Stovall (App State)
Armanti Edwards (App State)
Sean Knight (William & Mary)
Mike Tomlin (William & Mary)
Brian Dowler (Marshall)
Chris Parker (Marshall)
Randy Moss (Marshall)
Darrelle Revis (Pitt)
Tracy Ham (Georgia Southern)
Greg Hill (Georgia Southern)
Adrian Peterson (Georgia Southern)
Terrell Owens (Chattanooga)
Mario Grier (Chattanooga)...The list goes on.
 #29936  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:27 pm
Dean Biasucci.
 #29945  by Stumpy
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm
You're talking about stealing a tent, aren't you?
 #29953  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:06 pm
Some of the best I have seen Furman face:

Larry Centers (Stephen F. Austin)
Ross Ortega/Justin Vargas (Nevada)
Archie Amerson (N. Arizona)
Troy Brown (Marshall)
David Patten (WCU)
Bobby Sippio (Western Kentucky)
Mel Mitchell (Western Kentucky)
Brad Hoover (WCU)
Dexter Coakley (Appalachian State)
Yohance Humphrey (Montana)
BJ Adigun (ETSU)
Donnie Abraham (ETSU)
Devlin Hodges (Samford)
Jaquiskii Tartt (Samford)
Jack Douglas (The Citadel)
Travis Jervey (The Citadel)
Everette Sands (The Citadel)
Matt Stevens (App State)
Josh Jeffries (App State)
KT Stovall (App State)
Armanti Edwards (App State)
Sean Knight (William & Mary)
Mike Tomlin (William & Mary)
Brian Dowler (Marshall)
Chris Parker (Marshall)
Randy Moss (Marshall)
Darrelle Revis (Pitt)
Tracy Ham (Georgia Southern)
Greg Hill (Georgia Southern)
Adrian Peterson (Georgia Southern)
Terrell Owens (Chattanooga)
Mario Grier (Chattanooga)...The list goes on.
When did the moratorium against mentioning that bolded name above, here, expire?
Stumpy liked this
 #29968  by gofurman
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 pm
Just FCS

RANDY MOSS. Marshall
Dexter Coakley. He shut us down one year. App
Stump Mitchell Citadel

I’d be interested in some of the playoff guys like FUBeAR mentioned. Guys we played who weren’t in SoCon or even FCS non conference like Marques Colston at Hofstra that cave mentioned I think. I recall that game. Then Hofstra dropped football...

Gonna sound mean but I would be all for some programs getting dropped or falling to D2 w COVID. way too many programs in southeast - too much saturation of scholarship offers. As many have said this allows Eastern Washington and NDSU and SDSU to be top programs. That said I do give NDSU credit for talent identification - Carson Wentz, the current QB! won the Payton as a freshman, Jabril Cox left NDSU for LSU. Good grief. They can find the kids. They say “we develop em” but you can’t make me be Carson Wentz. LOL. There is a lot of talent there. How do Minnesota etc keep missing in these kids?
 #30013  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:38 am
NDSU is a top program not because it gets the pick of the litter in sparsely populated states. They have been better than we are in terms of talent identification, recruiting, development, and coaching.

Yes, having a lot of football programs makes recruiting more difficult, but we have to get better. For a good bit of the last 15 years Furman acted as if they were going to continue high levels of success by saying "we're Furman" and doing the same thing over and over again while the rest of the FCS landscape flew past us.

Fortunately, we've got a coaching staff now that sees the fallacy of that approach.
 #30014  by DeepPurple
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:57 am
1988 National Championship win in Idaho vs GSU. That was a fun plane ride home.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.