• The 2020 Season

#29892  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Relevant to the “Act of God” / force majeure (however y’all spell it) convo...

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/202 ... state.html

Portland State, who is not allowed to have students on campus this Fall, is saying...”Not so fast my friend.”
Good for them for pressing the issue. Somebody had to do it.

Edit to add a thought I just had. Let's say Tennessee refuses to pay us so we hire an attorney to file a lawsuit. I expect we would never get another contract with a P5 school if we did so. It could also hurt us in basketball scheduling. I'm back to thinking we should not sue Tennessee if they refuse to pay us.
Last edited by Roundball on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29895  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 pm
Interesting article about the Charlotte/Tennessee game. https://247sports.com/college/charlotte ... 49077913_1

Notice this from the article. “NOTE: The game contract between Tennessee and Charlotte includes an impossibility provision essentially absolving Tennessee from breach-of-contract should the game not happen due natural event ("pandemic" is included among the events) and/or an "edict" from the SEC or NCAA.”

Don’t you think our AD already knows what Tennessee’s intentions are? There is no doubt in my mind that they are going to use the “edict from the SEC” defense. We are going to have to sue them. I still say, if the SoCon loses the money games, football will be canceled this year.
 #29896  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm
Sorry to keep posting, but if true, this is huge news.
 #29898  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 pm
Wow, its a domino effect. Cancelling football will have no effect on the virus but will cause serious financia; problems for schools and thousands of individuals.
 #29899  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 pm
I have been at St. Simons Island all week. My daughter is getting married here on Saturday. It is like "what virus". Hardly anybody on the beach is wearing a mask, but its wide enough where we are staying where nobody really has to get close to anybody else. The pool has 15-20 kids in it until 10 P.M. every night. Very few people at restaurants are wearing masks (all the employees are). We have done take out or delivery everyday except tonight. A lot of people at the grocery store were wearing them.

As for football, I am no longer optimistic about having a fall season but I can't see how it could get any worse and think they should go ahead and play as long as the players and their parents are O.K. with it. Picking up a couple extra FBS games is very interesting and would be a good idea if we can pull it off.

I am O.K. with football in the spring if that's what it takes to have a season, but think that we should play in the fall, FBS game or not. We've played seasons in the past with no FBS games. But a football game at Paladin Stadium in mid-April with it sunny and 70 degrees could be fun.
 #29900  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I have been at St. Simons Island all week. My daughter is getting married here on Saturday. It is like "what virus". Hardly anybody on the beach is wearing a mask, but its wide enough where we are staying where nobody really has to get close to anybody else. The pool has 15-20 kids in it until 10 P.M. every night. Very few people at restaurants are wearing masks (all the employees are). We have done take out or delivery everyday except tonight. A lot of people at the grocery store were wearing them.

As for football, I am no longer optimistic about having a fall season but I can't see how it could get any worse and think they should go ahead and play as long as the players and their parents are O.K. with it. Picking up a couple extra FBS games is very interesting and would be a good idea if we can pull it off.

I am O.K. with football in the spring if that's what it takes to have a season, but think that we should play in the fall, FBS game or not. We've played seasons in the past with no FBS games. But a football game at Paladin Stadium in mid-April with it sunny and 70 degrees could be fun.
Exact same experience the week before the week of the 4th of July, at Wild Dunes / Isle of Palms, including a BIG wedding at one of those plantations around ChuckTown.

Have to admit, though, more than a few members of the wedding party all tested positive for Covid, including 1 FUBeAR knows quite well, within 8-10 days. Mostly young peeps, but a few of different ages, except none above 65. All very minor to no symptoms. All recovered & have now tested negative. All had multiple positive tests to be sure...wonder if repeated testing is having some effect on the increasing numbers?

Anyway, anecdotal certainly, also certainly supportive of...

1) lotsa Covid out there
2) close proximity events / large gatherings, like weddings, funerals, or protests (I ain’t buyin’ what I’ve read on that one - it’s ok if u wanna urinate in FUBeAR’s ear, but don’t tell him it’s rain) are HOT sites for transmission
3) lotsa young peeps passing around Covid to one another
4) a very, very, very high % of peeps who get it won’t experience much, if any, symptomatic response, particularly young peeps
5) a very, very, very high % of peeps who get it, particularly young peeps, will recover very quickly

Let’s play ball! (without fans, it that’s the way it has to be...kids want to & need to PLAY!!)

(psssst...the kids are gonna get it anyway. #TRUST)
apaladin liked this
 #29902  by aqualung
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Exact same experience the week before the week of the 4th of July, at Wild Dunes / Isle of Palms, including a BIG wedding at one of those plantations around ChuckTown.

Have to admit, though, more than a few members of the wedding party all tested positive for Covid, including 1 FUBeAR knows quite well, within 8-10 days. Mostly young peeps, but a few of different ages, except none above 65. All very minor to no symptoms. All recovered & have now tested negative. All had multiple positive tests to be sure...wonder if repeated testing is having some effect on the increasing numbers?

Anyway, anecdotal certainly, also certainly supportive of...

1) lotsa Covid out there
2) close proximity events / large gatherings, like weddings, funerals, or protests (I ain’t buyin’ what I’ve read on that one - it’s ok if u wanna urinate in FUBeAR’s ear, but don’t tell him it’s rain) are HOT sites for transmission
3) lotsa young peeps passing around Covid to one another
4) a very, very, very high % of peeps who get it won’t experience much, if any, symptomatic response, particularly young peeps
5) a very, very, very high % of peeps who get it, particularly young peeps, will recover very quickly

Let’s play ball! (without fans, it that’s the way it has to be...kids want to & need to PLAY!!)

(psssst...the kids are gonna get it anyway. #TRUST)
100%!
 #29903  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:49 am
I went to Chucktown Wednesday with daughter to move some stuff. Talked to some of her CofC friends and there have been several test positive among people she knows. Worst symptom was inability to taste a pepper when eaten. CofC is sandwiched between housing projects (which house many protest and riot participants) and restaurant/bars of King Street. So I’m surprised we didn’t hear of more cases.
The students are not sitting at home with masks on.

I expect the current wave to be over by move in day. But there will be a new wave with all students coming back. The indigenous people should be immune. So it isn’t clear who would be protected by cancelling the nonexistent football program.

How does the virus know you are at a football game instead of a protest? If we made the players come out and kneel for the anthem, would that protect the spectators?
apaladin, FurmanMom60, dornb liked this
 #29904  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm
Sorry to keep posting, but if true, this is huge news.
There may only be a few conferences playing which makes our chances of winning it all better and better. Even a slightly bogus National Championship would put us right back in the thick of things for recruiting. Even if there is no playoff we can just claim we’re the champion like back in the day. And if the networks are desperate for content I wonder if the SoCon could make some big money from all of this.
 #29905  by FU3
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 am
I would suggest that if some of the reassuring anecdotal descriptions of the mildness of this virus were instead coming from medical professionals in hospitals the stories would be far different.... I have heard a few and they are horrific.If there were no countries in the world where the virus was under control then perhaps the argument that there is nothing we can do might be valid. That is not the case. We now have the worst of both options, a virus that is spreading exponentially and an economy that is slowing because the virus is rampant again ... rinse and repeat.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #29906  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:30 am
Just received this email from Jason Donnelly.

Dear Furman Athletics Supporters,

I hope this letter finds you well and enjoying the summer. We appreciate your continued support of Furman Athletics during this unprecedented time.

Over the past several months, our Athletics Department has been working closely with our sports medicine staff, university leadership, state and local officials and the Southern Conference regarding plans for a return to campus and a return to competition. Our priority remains the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans.

Over the next few weeks, our fall and winter sports student-athletes will return to campus in phases, to begin training in preparation for their upcoming seasons. All students and staff will be following medical guidelines designed to minimize the potential exposure and transmission of the COVID-19 virus. These guidelines include health screenings, physical distancing measures, masking and infection control. We appreciate the preparation that has been done by our athletics staff and university partners to prepare for the return of our student-athletes.

I know we all are eager for more definitive information about our fall and winter sports and what those seasons may look like. We are closely monitoring NCAA, conference and university decisions across the country and will share our plans for competitions, ticketing and events within the next few weeks. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact a member of our Furman Athletics staff.

We wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Jason Donnelly
Director of Athletics
Furman University
 #29907  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:14 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:00 am
I would suggest that if some of the reassuring anecdotal descriptions of the mildness of this virus were instead coming from medical professionals in hospitals the stories would be far different.... I have heard a few and they are horrific.If there were no countries in the world where the virus was under control then perhaps the argument that there is nothing we can do might be valid. That is not the case. We now have the worst of both options, a virus that is spreading exponentially and an economy that is slowing because the virus is rampant again ... rinse and repeat.
So, you’re invalidating the personal truths of Furmanoid, FurmAlum, and FUBeAR with your own 2nd hand anecdotal claims?

That’s not a very progressive approach to the people of our community.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.