• The 2020 Season

#29876  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 am
It would probably fund football for a year. That’s worth something.
 #29879  by soconjohn
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:33 pm
What's everyone's thoughts about football in the spring? I know it's not ideal, but it may be our only choice...You could be creative with it I think if it overlapped hoops with like maybe a Saturday double-header or something...Just a thought.
 #29880  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:38 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:33 pm
What's everyone's thoughts about football in the spring? I know it's not ideal, but it may be our only choice...You could be creative with it I think if it overlapped hoops with like maybe a Saturday double-header or something...Just a thought.
Absolutely not. Would rather not have it at all. If you are talking about a FB/BKB doubleheader you are talking winter not spring. No thanks.
 #29881  by fufanatic
Frankly, if we do get to play football in the fall, it's going to look bizarre and will hardly feel like a real season with real champions. Why not if you're Furman load up on 2 or even 3 FBS games? As others have suggested, it would certainly help with the money issues the university appears to have.

As far as spring football, I'm all for it and lean that direction already assuming we can play a full and complete schedule as normal. It would be weird, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching a little March Madness and a Furman football game on the same weekend.
 #29882  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 pm
I don’t get why it can’t start a month or 6 weeks late and just run through January. There won’t be any sort of normal playoffs anyway so it doesn’t matter that it might be cold up north. We could have a nice season playing southern teams in comfortable weather and games we actually care about during the holidays.

By the way the case/date graph on the dhec page sure looks like we crested a week or so back. And at least initially I’m told there were no deaths yesterday. Maybe, maybe it has had its way with us and decided to move on. But they change the numbers constantly.
apaladin liked this
 #29883  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I don’t get why it can’t start a month or 6 weeks late and just run through January. There won’t be any sort of normal playoffs anyway so it doesn’t matter that it might be cold up north. We could have a nice season playing southern teams in comfortable weather and games we actually care about during the holidays.

By the way, the case/date graph on the dhec page sure looks like we crested a week or so back. And at least initially I’m told there were no deaths yesterday. Maybe, maybe it has had its way with us and decided to move on. But they change the numbers constantly.
 #29884  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 pm
What strikes me as odd, is the current FBS trend seems to be toward playing conference games only. Which makes the waiver to play 2 FCS games moot.
Roundball liked this
 #29885  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:23 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

By the way, the case/date graph on the dhec page sure looks like we crested a week or so back. And at least initially I’m told there were no deaths yesterday. Maybe, maybe it has had its way with us and decided to move on. But they change the numbers constantly.
Cool. cool. cool. Looks like you tried to edit or change your post, changing your numbers constantly.

Soooo, you looked at the DHEC website, but didn't read or scroll down. If you look at the first graph, it shows that the "case counts are most likely to increase due to a number of factors, to include delay in reporting, estimated incubation period of the disease, and or confirming the illness. Comparison of disease activity by day should be made with caution, especially for the period where cases are most likely still being counted".

You are right, doctors adjust their inferences, and the statisticians deal with a back log, to correctly report numbers. As you and others have mentioned, testing is behind and delayed. For example, I went to an appointment at CVS and had a COVID19 test done, BUT I had to do it myself. There is no way I did it correctly and that is now way to perform this test. Results came back negative in 5 days. SOOOO you say we are reporting incorrectly. YES we are, we are reporting only cases that may have occured 3-10 days prior, not results, and no confirmation on efficacy of the test.

Scroll down the DHEC website and you will so no flattening, in both deaths and cases. You will also notice the projections for "No Change", "Social Distancing", and "Wearing Masks".

Let's read all the information and interpret it correctly. Now that HHS is in charge instead of CDC, we will need to pull resources together to interpret these numbers.
 #29886  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:36 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Frankly, if we do get to play football in the fall, it's going to look bizarre and will hardly feel like a real season with real champions. Why not if you're Furman load up on 2 or even 3 FBS games? As others have suggested, it would certainly help with the money issues the university appears to have.

As far as spring football, I'm all for it and lean that direction already assuming we can play a full and complete schedule as normal. It would be weird, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching a little March Madness and a Furman football game on the same weekend.
Very doubtful playing in the spring would result in a full and complete schedule. Everyone would have to be on the same page and that’s not going to happen.
 #29887  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Cool. cool. cool. Looks like you tried to edit or change your post, changing your numbers constantly.

Soooo, you looked at the DHEC website, but didn't read or scroll down. If you look at the first graph, it shows that the "case counts are most likely to increase due to a number of factors, to include delay in reporting, estimated incubation period of the disease, and or confirming the illness. Comparison of disease activity by day should be made with caution, especially for the period where cases are most likely still being counted".

You are right, doctors adjust their inferences, and the statisticians deal with a back log, to correctly report numbers. As you and others have mentioned, testing is behind and delayed. For example, I went to an appointment at CVS and had a COVID19 test done, BUT I had to do it myself. There is no way I did it correctly and that is now way to perform this test. Results came back negative in 5 days. SOOOO you say we are reporting incorrectly. YES we are, we are reporting only cases that may have occured 3-10 days prior, not results, and no confirmation on efficacy of the test.

Scroll down the DHEC website and you will so no flattening, in both deaths and cases. You will also notice the projections for "No Change", "Social Distancing", and "Wearing Masks".

Let's read all the information and interpret it correctly. Now that HHS is in charge instead of CDC, we will need to pull resources together to interpret these numbers.
Can you please keep us all up to date with your interpretations as obviously none of us are capable of doing it correctly. That way none of us will have any false optimism and we can continue the doom and gloom. Many thanks!
 #29888  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Can you please keep us all up to date with your interpretations as obviously none of us are capable of doing it correctly. That way none of us will have any false optimism and we can continue the doom and gloom. Many thanks!
Well it is doom and gloom. Until the spread stops it will be.

Wear a mask, distance, and we will have football.
 #29889  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:49 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 pm
What strikes me as odd, is the current FBS trend seems to be toward playing conference games only. Which makes the waiver to play 2 FCS games moot.
That was exactly my point from a few posts ago. There is talk of the ACC and the SEC going to a "pod" scenario in which the teams would play 8 conference games and 2 out of conference games. The conference would be broken down into 3 pods, with 4 teams in each pod playing other home and away. Seems complicated, but at this point, just play the game.
 #29890  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:17 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The curve I was referring to is date of symptom onset. So it only applies to people who tested positive and have symptoms. It shows a distinct peak around 6/25. There is a green box around data from present going back to 7/2 indicating that those data are likely to change (although it is unlikely many people will be showing up now saying symptoms started two weeks ago). Anyway, even without the “subject to change” data, it certainly looks obvious that a peak has passed. It seems to tell us that a ton of people started feeling poorly about 2 weeks after the bars opened (6/8 I think) and fewer are showing up sick now. The peak matches up pretty good with the death numbers if you throw in a two week lag.
 #29891  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:32 pm
Relevant to the “Act of God” / force majeure (however y’all spell it) convo...

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/202 ... state.html

Portland State, who is not allowed to have students on campus this Fall, is saying...”Not so fast my friend.”

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.