apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:29 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:10 pm
I'm getting tired of waiting for information. Are we playing football or not? Will fans be allowed? If yes, when will the season begin? Who will we be playing? Full schedule, conference games only? Will fans be able to travel to away games?

I just want some information; from Furman, from the SoCon. What is the thought process being used? What is the timeline for releasing information?
Doubt very seriously you will hear anything from the SoCon until after the ACC and SEC announce their plans late this month. Of course there is always the chance ED pulls the plug early.
I'm in the camp that thinks we have to wait and see on the SEC and ACC. If they pull the plug on non conference games, then I don't see us playing them either.

I also do not believe President Davis can unilaterally decide Furman is going to sit out a football season. I think these will be conference level decisions.
She decided we would not have a baseball team and don’t think she consulted the SoCon, so I think she could cancel the FU football season. Apparently she can do whatever she wants to.
There's a different between Furman deciding to cancel a program and Furman being the only school to sit out a football season.
 #29855  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 am
That’s true. But I’m not sure a conference can force you to play football. They could threaten to kick you out I guess, but in reality you can’t punish somebody “putting the kids’ safety first”. It doesn’t matter because she won’t cancel the season unless the conference does. Jerry would take a dim view of it.
 #29857  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 am
Jackal with all due respect it wasn’t a Furman decision to drop baseball it was an ED decision.
 #29858  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:19 am
apaladin wrote:
Jackal with all due respect it wasn’t a Furman decision to drop baseball it was an ED decision.
Please stop with this nonsense. We are tired of hearing it. If you have a problem with her, take it up with the Trustees.
Monday, JohnKX512 liked this
 #29859  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52 am
apaladin wrote:
Just because some of the Players suffered from Erectile Dysfunction should not have been a reason to disband the program. This is a treatable condition. Fred Garvin told me so.
 #29861  by fufanatic
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:30 pm
greenvegas wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 pm
On a trivia side note. Since Trump mistakenly said Lou Saban instead of Nick Saban: Lou Saban coached in Paladin Stadium when we beat Central Florida before they were FBS.
He often talks about how that game at Furman crystallized the respect he has for FCS Football & that’s the reason why he wants to continue scheduling Alabama to play 1 FCS Team / year.
I'm sure THAT'S the reason and not the easy 60-3 victory on repeat the week before the Auburn game. ;)
 #29862  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm
A little good news is the SCHSL is proceeding with football this fall. They will start late with practice beginning 8/17 and games to start mid-September. The idea of “spring” football was voted down 15-1 thank goodness.
 #29864  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:30 pm
greenvegas wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 pm
On a trivia side note. Since Trump mistakenly said Lou Saban instead of Nick Saban: Lou Saban coached in Paladin Stadium when we beat Central Florida before they were FBS.
He often talks about how that game at Furman crystallized the respect he has for FCS Football & that’s the reason why he wants to continue scheduling Alabama to play 1 FCS Team / year.
I'm sure THAT'S the reason and not the easy 60-3 victory on repeat the week before the Auburn game. ;)
Can’t mount this one on the wall, but did at least, finally, get a nibble. :D
 #29866  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm
A little good news is the SCHSL is proceeding with football this fall. They will start late with practice beginning 8/17 and games to start mid-September. The idea of “spring” football was voted down 15-1 thank goodness.
This is great news! If I can go to a game every Friday and coach my girls tennis it will be an OK fall. I was really worried for some of my Sr. girls who’ve worked hard all summer. They and their parents were starting to think nobody cared about their opinions on whether to play or not. There is certainly zero risk with tennis.
 #29868  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm
This is a couple of weeks old, but I don’t recall anyone noting it on this ‘short’ thread. If it’s been noted / posted & I missed it...sorry & nevermind.

On 7/1 @ 4:00 PM, the SoCon released the Composite Schedule and a narrative about it, with no mention of Coronavirus, Covid, pandemic, cancellation of games, contingency plans, or anything of the sort.

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/7/1/ ... edule.aspx

It only ‘struck’ me to look at the site cuz I was listening to an interview with Coach Cronic of Mercer today and the interviewer twice said, “the Southern Conference is one of the few conferences who have announced that they will be playing games this Fall.” Coach Cronic did not correct him on either occasion.

Gotta click the “Full Interview” link above if you want to hear what I heard. Sorry. I’ll try to listen again and get the time stamps and edit the post, so as to not subject you guys to having to listen to Mercer propaganda - 6:35 is the 1st one...didn’t hear it 2x on 2nd pass. I’m old...who knows...may be in there again...may not.

Can we read anything into these 2 things? Please say that we can. PLEASE!!
apaladin liked this
 #29872  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 pm
NCAA is allowing FBS teams to count 2 FCS wins this year only towards bowl eligibility. To be counted the FCS teams must offer at least 80% of the maximum scholarships.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-allows-fbs ... y-in-2020/
Good news, but how will this help with the non-conference games ban?
 #29874  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm
This is a couple of weeks old, but I don’t recall anyone noting it on this ‘short’ thread. If it’s been noted / posted & I missed it...sorry & nevermind.

On 7/1 @ 4:00 PM, the SoCon released the Composite Schedule and a narrative about it, with no mention of Coronavirus, Covid, pandemic, cancellation of games, contingency plans, or anything of the sort.

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/7/1/ ... edule.aspx

It only ‘struck’ me to look at the site cuz I was listening to an interview with Coach Cronic of Mercer today and the interviewer twice said, “the Southern Conference is one of the few conferences who have announced that they will be playing games this Fall.” Coach Cronic did not correct him on either occasion.

Gotta click the “Full Interview” link above if you want to hear what I heard. Sorry. I’ll try to listen again and get the time stamps and edit the post, so as to not subject you guys to having to listen to Mercer propaganda - 6:35 is the 1st one...didn’t hear it 2x on 2nd pass. I’m old...who knows...may be in there again...may not.

Can we read anything into these 2 things? Please say that we can. PLEASE!!
Thanks for this. I think it means we are playing. If you have left coast or northeast schools, you can’t play. If you draw 10’s of thousands of fans, it’s risky. But if your stadiums are about half empty anyway, why not? Our level headed SoCon schools have listened to their science and statistics faculties and figured it out. That’s what I choose to believe. Between this and the SCHSL decision, I’m feeling much better-like I just left a smoke filled Woodwinds apartment.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #29875  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:02 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 pm
NCAA is allowing FBS teams to count 2 FCS wins this year only towards bowl eligibility. To be counted the FCS teams must offer at least 80% of the maximum scholarships.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-allows-fbs ... y-in-2020/
Good news, but how will this help with the non-conference games ban?
it helps fbs schools who have not (yet) adopted a conference-only schedule replace those cancelled games previously scheduled against teams who have adopted such a policy.

If enough FBS don’t go to conference only, this could certainly influence FCS schools to make the decision to play and to not adopt a conference only policy - picking up 1 or 2 money games could essentially fund an FCS athletics Dept for a year. (I don’t really know if that’s actually, factually true, but it sounds good, so I thru it in)
Roundball liked this