• The 2020 Season

#29713  by furpep
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:38 pm
Agree 100%. I also think that if there is in-person classes then Furman should close the school to everyone except students and Furman employees.
 #29714  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:05 pm
I wonder if we can at least have rec league. I might get back to coaching that to get my fix. It would be beyond stupid to cancel youth sports in the midst of a lethal obesity epidemic in order to protect kids from something non lethal (to them), so it will probably be cancelled.
 #29715  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:08 pm
A total shutdown of sports this season would be catastrophic for Furman and the FCS...Not playing this season might mean 2019-20 season is the last one in Furman athletics and the SoCon for that matter...That's how important decisions are...Only power fives have the money to survive without football this fall...Leagues across FCS will start dropping football as a league sport all together...Basketball would probably still be possible, but it will be the end of a lot of sports at schools as we now know them...It's time to face the reality that it could very well be the end of the road if this pandemic is not figured out like really soon!!!...State-supported schools are in even worse shape than Furman...That money that used to funnel down for football from the parent school won't be coming any more...It will be kept for the survival of the power five FBS parent school.

The lone alternative is this season has to happen...probably not fall, but spring is a must...I am 99% sure we will see a season if at all possible...It probably won't be the fall, so there could be two in 2021--one in the spring and one in the fall.
bj93 liked this
 #29716  by FurmAlum
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 pm
I had no idea of the catastrophic effect of football to the financial health of Furman, the FCS, and the FBS. I guess I knew it was important, but I can't get my mind to believe losing just one season would end it forever for a lot of the FCS teams.

With that being said, it would seem to me that the powers that be should find a way to make it happen. I'm not advocating having football if it is going to result in massive deaths, etc. but I don't think that will be the case if its handled right. If a player, coach, ref, or staff doesn't want to participate that should be O.K.

Regarding the decision of the Big Ten to cancel all non-conference games. Can that be a unilateral decision? Don't they have signed contracts? Aren't they financially obligated if the school they are playing doesn't agree?
 #29720  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm
It's so devastating because athletic departments don't have savings accounts, or special accounts in case of a pandemic.
 #29721  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 pm
It really has been crazy in 2020...I don't want to put these young athletes and coaches in harm's way either, which is why I am praying for the best possible outcome, which is our healthcare workers get ahead of this virus to make the decision a little bit easier for those in charge...You know it's got to be stressful for those folks...I feel for them.
 #29723  by Flagman
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 pm
We’ll never get ahead of this until we get some real leadership out of Columbia instead of the “whatever Donald says”. Just read that South Carolina ranks #3 in news cases, WORLDWIDE!
Roundball, hypercycloid liked this
 #29727  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:11 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 pm
I had no idea of the catastrophic effect of football to the financial health of Furman, the FCS, and the FBS. I guess I knew it was important, but I can't get my mind to believe losing just one season would end it forever for a lot of the FCS teams.

With that being said, it would seem to me that the powers that be should find a way to make it happen. I'm not advocating having football if it is going to result in massive deaths, etc. but I don't think that will be the case if its handled right. If a player, coach, ref, or staff doesn't want to participate that should be O.K.

Regarding the decision of the Big Ten to cancel all non-conference games. Can that be a unilateral decision? Don't they have signed contracts? Aren't they financially obligated if the school they are playing doesn't agree?
Guessing most of those agreements have an “acts of God” out clause.

Not sure we classify some Chinese dude eating a bat as an “act of God,” but that will have to be adjudicated in a court of law.

DISCLAIMER: The final sentence of the post above is attempted humor. It is not intended to disparage any individual or groups of individuals, human or mammal, now living or deceased. Further, it does not, necessarily, reflect the political opinion of FUBeAR, FUBeAR’s family members, nor FUBeAR’s employer.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29728  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 am
soconjohn wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 pm
It's so devastating because athletic departments don't have savings accounts, or special accounts in case of a pandemic.
Nor do most Americans.
 #29729  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 am
Flagman wrote:
We’ll never get ahead of this until we get some real leadership out of Columbia instead of the “whatever Donald says”. Just read that South Carolina ranks #3 in news cases, WORLDWIDE!
With all due respect I think you heard that wrong. As usual NC and Ga both reported more new caese than SC on Friday. Just a little commom sense and you realize that Ga, NC and SC are not 1-2-3 in the world in new cases. Florida, California etc are in the 10k a day range.
 #29730  by Roundball
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:11 am
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
With all due respect I think you heard that wrong. As usual NC and Ga both reported more new caese than SC on Friday. Just a little commom sense and you realize that Ga, NC and SC are not 1-2-3 in the world in new cases. Florida, California etc are in the 10k a day range.
Flag is right. “A Post and Courier analysis of pandemic data showed that South Carolina had the world’s fourth-highest rate of case increases, when also accounting for population size, over the past two weeks.” https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... ec987.html. It pisses me off that our fellow citizens are unwilling to do the right thing. Americans sacrificed for each other in WWII. Now, we won’t even do 3 simple things to bend the curve, wash our hands, wear a mask and practice social distancing. Sadly, the worst offenders are many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I guess they have to blindly follow their “fearless” leader, Trump. Leadership starts at the top. Trump has failed to lead our country.

As for contracts, I’ve read several articles that a pandemic can make the contract null and void. There are still major questions concerning the contracts. This is a good read. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0200424188

As for the season, assuming the SoCon has no money games this year, can we afford to play? With that income not available, most likely expenses will be more than income for every team. I contend we cannot afford to play this year.
Jasper, fufanatic liked this
 #29733  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:29 am
Pretty sure expenses exceed income every year, but this year will be worse.
 #29735  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Flag is right. “A Post and Courier analysis of pandemic data showed that South Carolina had the world’s fourth-highest rate of case increases, when also accounting for population size, over the past two weeks.” https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... ec987.html. It pisses me off that our fellow citizens are unwilling to do the right thing. Americans sacrificed for each other in WWII. Now, we won’t even do 3 simple things to bend the curve, wash our hands, wear a mask and practice social distancing. Sadly, the worst offenders are many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I guess they have to blindly follow their “fearless” leader, Trump. Leadership starts at the top. Trump has failed to lead our country.

As for contracts, I’ve read several articles that a pandemic can make the contract null and void. There are still major questions concerning the contracts. This is a good read. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0200424188

As for the season, assuming the SoCon has no money games this year, can we afford to play? With that income not available, most likely expenses will be more than income for every team. I contend we cannot afford to play this year.
Must be an interesting church you go to. The case increase is driven almost entirely by young adults. Statewide they mostly hang out at bars, parties, protests and restaurants. The vast majority hate Trump. Except in Greenville where I guess they are all churchgoing Trump fanatics. There is a Trump supporting sub population but they are usually at travel baseball tournaments on the Lord’s Day.

I expect Henry will close the bars in the next week or two. That should slow things down.

For the old, chubby and infirm the remedy should be obvious: stay the hell away from young people. Don’t trust hand washing and don’t trust masks, just stay away and let them do their thing. The sooner a bunch of them go back to campus the better. And if you want to drastically increase your survival chances, get in shape.
 #29737  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:55 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Number of new cases and rate of increase per population are 2 totally different things. Carry on with the hysteria.
 #29738  by Roundball
 Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:58 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Must be an interesting church you go to. The case increase is driven almost entirely by young adults. Statewide they mostly hang out at bars, parties, protests and restaurants. The vast majority hate Trump. Except in Greenville where I guess they are all churchgoing Trump fanatics. There is a Trump supporting sub population but they are usually at travel baseball tournaments on the Lord’s Day.

I expect Henry will close the bars in the next week or two. That should slow things down.

For the old, chubby and infirm the remedy should be obvious: stay the hell away from young people. Don’t trust hand washing and don’t trust masks, just stay away and let them do their thing. The sooner a bunch of them go back to campus the better. And if you want to drastically increase your survival chances, get in shape.
It’s not just young people, and it’s not my church. My church worships on Sunday morning, but not in a building. We have decided now is not the right time to open the church buildings. It’s mainly Southern Baptist’s and fundamentalists type churches. Have you been to Lowe’s, Home Depot, or Wal-Mart? My 93 year old uncle was determined to get back to church. He attends a very large traditional SB church in Easley. He attended twice, but decided no more, saying, “those old folks refuse to wear a mask.” Ninety percent of the folks I know that don’t wear a mask are over the age of 50 and they support Trump. Many are my good friends and relatives. I love them, but admit they frustrate me. Many of them think the virus numbers are inflated and think the media has fooled Americans into fear. They believe Trump over Dr. Fauci. No, it’s not just young adults.