• The 2020 Season

#29668  by bj93
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 pm
PAC 12 supposed to make similar announcement soon. Key word in the Big 10 statement is "if" we are able to play sports, we will only play conference games. This is the first domino to fall. I see very little chance football is played this fall and that's going to be devastating to FU athletics.
 #29669  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm
bj93 wrote:
PAC 12 supposed to make similar announcement soon. Key word in the Big 10 statement is "if" we are able to play sports, we will only play conference games. This is the first domino to fall. I see very little chance football is played this fall and that's going to be devastating to FU athletics.
I give up!! The media wins!! The power of the media is unsurpassed and controls this country. No sports until after the election.
 #29670  by JohnKX512
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
bj93 wrote:
I give up!! The media wins!! The power of the media is unsurpassed and controls this country. No sports until after the election.
I blame the scientists! The whole world is out to get us. The whole world has spread this virus on purpose in order to have Donnie removed and to stop sports from being played! If you get tested they are actually putting the virus in your nose! WHAAAAAA WHAAA you freaking dork.
fufanatic liked this
 #29671  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Totally agre with MLB veteran umpire Joe West. Here is what he said:
The 67-year-old West said he doesn't believe the death total being attributed to the coronavirus -- which has surpassed 130,000 in the United States -- is an accurate figure.

"Those statistics aren't accurate, I don't care who's counting them,'' West told USA Today Sports. "When country music [singer] Joe Diffie died, they said he died of the coronavirus. He had Stage 4 lung cancer. The coronavirus may have accelerated his death, but let's be realistic.

"Our system is so messed up they have emptied hospitals because there's no elective surgery. The government has been giving these hospitals extra money if someone dies of the coronavirus. So everybody that dies is because of coronavirus. I don't care if you get hit by a car, it's coronavirus.''
 #29672  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Totally agre with MLB veteran umpire Joe West. Here is what he said:
The 67-year-old West said he doesn't believe the death total being attributed to the coronavirus -- which has surpassed 130,000 in the United States -- is an accurate figure.

"Those statistics aren't accurate, I don't care who's counting them,'' West told USA Today Sports. "When country music [singer] Joe Diffie died, they said he died of the coronavirus. He had Stage 4 lung cancer. The coronavirus may have accelerated his death, but let's be realistic.

"Our system is so messed up they have emptied hospitals because there's no elective surgery. The government has been giving these hospitals extra money if someone dies of the coronavirus. So everybody that dies is because of coronavirus. I don't care if you get hit by a car, it's coronavirus.''
Is he now a doctor or medical expert? We have now gone to believing a baseball umpire? Might be the most ridiculous post yet. Maybe you were trying to give us a good laugh at the end of the day? If so, thank you!
 #29673  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:51 pm
Seriously folks, and I am talking to myself here too. I am as guilty as anyone else with my comments. Let’s stop posting comments on the controversial aspects of the virus. There is a separate thread on the virus. Stick to the season being played, or not.
 #29674  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
bj93 wrote:
I blame the scientists! The whole world is out to get us. The whole world has spread this virus on purpose in order to have Donnie removed and to stop sports from being played! If you get tested they are actually putting the virus in your nose! WHAAAAAA WHAAA you freaking dork.
Which scientists? Virtually all scientists agree that the risk to 18-22 year olds is very, very low, probably lower than flu. They also agree that transmission outdoors is very difficult. They would all agree that the risk is much, much greater at the keg parties these guys will be attending anyway as average college students. Students attending games outside will be at lower risk than attending class. So please explain what this has to do with science. Are we worried about fans sitting six feet apart with masks on outside? Are you saying that’s a scientifically valid concern? We are told that protesting shoulder to shoulder caused no increase in infections, but going to games will end the world. Is that science?
 #29675  by fufanatic
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:11 pm
I'm just going to assume that if all of this was complete BS that one country, one scientist, one doctor or one investigative journalist would have brought forward the giant conspiracy theory that would be the biggest in world history and become a world hero. I'm also going to assume that these schools - which live and breathe on the money made from football - wouldn't be doing this without some damn good info from a variety of experts. I hate it. I have a feeling of dread sweeping over me thinking about potentially no football in the fall and the long-term damage this could have on college athletics. This is a nightmare scenario for everyone, and one that's not being taken or made lightly.
 #29676  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:36 pm
Clearly there is a pandemic that has killed tons of people and continues to kill people. That is not disputed. Nobody is saying the pandemic isn’t real. But beyond that there isn’t much scientific consensus on anything. So I just wish somebody would explain how doing something like cancelling sports is going to help. I’m tired of hearing “experts say” do this or don’t do that. I’d like to hear exactly what their reasoning is. Is that so out of line? When I break it down going by the way they’ve explained transmission, I can’t see the increased risk in football. Volleyball and basketball I can understand because they are inside. I wear the stupid mask even though the “science” behind it is really weak but giving up football for no good reason sucks.
 #29677  by tim
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:12 pm
I think a one year hiatus from sports will be good for Furman, good for the fans, coaches and players. Who knows if it survives and in what form. I'll prolly have some season tickets for sale real cheap soon if there is no refund. My heart is no longer in it. I have a feeling, just a feeling that financial problems at Furman will loom larger than athletics.
 #29679  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Not good. "Big Ten expected to cancel all non-conference competitions for Fall 2020." https://www.kcrg.com/2020/07/09/big-ten ... fall-2020/

Add the ACC to this same scenario. Makes no sense. Does this mean no Clemson/S Carolina game this year? https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/07 ... -for-2020/

Conference only games will kill the SoCon. Here is the SEC schedule of non-conference games. https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 7ba68.html
 #29680  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:31 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I'm just going to assume that if all of this was complete BS that one country, one scientist, one doctor or one investigative journalist would have brought forward the giant conspiracy theory that would be the biggest in world history and become a world hero. I'm also going to assume that these schools - which live and breathe on the money made from football - wouldn't be doing this without some damn good info from a variety of experts. I hate it. I have a feeling of dread sweeping over me thinking about potentially no football in the fall and the long-term damage this could have on college athletics. This is a nightmare scenario for everyone, and one that's not being taken or made lightly.
If you think the “truth” always wins, look up the sad saga of DDT. Sadly, junk science has (in the DDT case and others) has cost thousands of lives.

And sadly this COVID episode had had the crap politicized out of it due to a polarizing POTUS staking out claims that have been more right than wrong, but in his typical arrogant and belittling style.

Bottom line is that we flattened the curve, the virus is not NEAR as deadly as originally feared and basically no risk to healthy people under 40. And only a slight risk to those 40-60.

This politicized overreaction is insane. And typified by the hysteria around reopening schools. The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends full opening, the results of reopening in some Europe countries like the Netherlands has been executed flawlessly and with no issues, but since the POTUS said “schools should open” the TDS afflicted Karen’s are opposed to it for NO OTHER REASON than who supports it. Nuts.

Play football. Play soccer. Open schools. Some folks will get CV. Most will be asymptomtic or mildly symptomatic. A very rare few will feel bad for a few weeks. Virtually no one will die. And don’t visit the grandparents this Thanksgiving.

Carry on.
fupaladin01, Riz Dawg liked this
 #29681  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm
Paul C wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
If you think the “truth” always wins, look up the sad saga of DDT. Sadly, junk science has (in the DDT case and others) has cost thousands of lives.

And sadly this COVID episode had had the crap politicized out of it due to a polarizing POTUS staking out claims that have been more right than wrong, but in his typical arrogant and belittling style.

Bottom line is that we flattened the curve, the virus is not NEAR as deadly as originally feared and basically no risk to healthy people under 40. And only a slight risk to those 40-60.

This politicized overreaction is insane. And typified by the hysteria around reopening schools. The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends full opening, the results of reopening in some Europe countries like the Netherlands has been executed flawlessly and with no issues, but since the POTUS said “schools should open” the TDS afflicted Karen’s are opposed to it for NO OTHER REASON than who supports it. Nuts.

Play football. Play soccer. Open schools. Some folks will get CV. Most will be asymptomtic or mildly symptomatic. A very rare few will feel bad for a few weeks. Virtually no one will die. And don’t visit the grandparents this Thanksgiving.

Carry on.
Excellent post PC. One other point the CDC said a couple of months ago that contracting the virus from touching a surface is almost minute as it doesn’t live on surfaces in the real world. Yet the insane cleaning continues because the media reported it one time and never mentioned it again. This situation is totally out of control. We have and never will be safe but now that is all you hear. Keep our players safe etc. Great point about the schools, all that info has been totally ignored. The overseas studies also stated there was not one case where a child transmitted to an adult. You have to hand it to the media as the have succeeded in scaring this country out of its mind. I’m fed up.
Last edited by apaladin on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #29682  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 pm
If the lawyers are in charge you can kiss the football season goodbye.

ACC- fools
Big Ten -big fools
Ivy League- biggest fools

Paul C., as usual, your post is well thought out and makes sense to me.

The players want to play, the player's parents want them to play (just talked to one today), a lot of fans want to come to the games. The one's that don't don't have to. How is football going to make anything any worse? The college students will spread it like wildfire whether there's football or not. Almost all of them will hardly know it.

I'm fed up too.
 #29683  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
the virus is not NEAR as deadly as originally feared and basically no risk to healthy people under 40. And only a slight risk to those 40-60.
Up to the 60th birthday or all the way thru the age of 60 until the 61st birthday? Asking for a friend.