• The 2020 Season

#29606  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 pm
So if all of these lawsuits are happening or are going to happen how is an individual going to prove they got it in/at a certain place? Why is this disease different than any other?
 #29607  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
So if all of these lawsuits are happening or are going to happen how is an individual going to prove they got it in/at a certain place? Why is this disease different than any other?
Again, it’s not about proving something. It’s about filing the suit and getting a settlement.
Paul C liked this
 #29618  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Ray Tanner says 15,000 fans would be the limit if the season started today.
 #29625  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:13 pm
The Ivy League just pulled the plug on football.
 #29642  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Lawyers will be the ruin of America. What they do is legal theft.
QCGlue liked this
 #29645  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 pm
Assuming Roundball is correct, big assumption, I could go to the beach for a vacation, get sick from something, claim I got it at the place I stayed, file a lawsuit and they will throw a bunch of money at me to stay out of court. Dang, I'm gonna have to try that. There wont be enough lawyers to go around. :lol:
 #29647  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Assuming Roundball is correct, big assumption, I could go to the beach for a vacation, get sick from something, claim I got it at the place I stayed, file a lawsuit and they will throw a bunch of money at me to stay out of court. Dang, I'm gonna have to try that. There wont be enough lawyers to go around. :lol:
You still don’t get it. Slow down and think. Anyone can file a lawsuit. That means the other party will need to spend dollars to hire an attorney. Whether it goes any further is not the point. The point is schools and other entities have to be financially ready to defend themselves. I guarantee you the insurance companies and attorneys are involved on how to accomplish safe openings and how to avoid lawsuits. The risks are extremely high.
 #29649  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:19 am
Interesting article from the parents viewpoint. Check out this article from USA TODAY:

College football parents band together in effort to hold schools accountable

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 389812002/
Interesting but they represent about 500-1000 players out of 50,000 or so. And they are definitely socio-economic outliers. No matter what happens on the field, their kids will be rich. It would be interesting to see a legit poll of parents to get a more representative opinion. At the HS level I think it would be at least 80% in favor of playing in our part of the world.
 #29650  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:20 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You still don’t get it. Slow down and think. Anyone can file a lawsuit. That means the other party will need to spend dollars to hire an attorney. Whether it goes any further is not the point. The point is schools and other entities have to be financially ready to defend themselves. I guarantee you the insurance companies and attorneys are involved on how to accomplish safe openings and how to avoid lawsuits. The risks are extremely high.
I worked in environmental, health and safety in the corporate world. CEO/BOD types always brought in the lawyers way ahead of the game if anyone thought there was a chance of legal trouble. The lawyers never told them not to worry, but just stoked their fears as much as possible and offered to help with weekly or daily hours long meetings and many, many phone calls. We would easily spend 10 times the likely fine amount on legal help to avoid the fine. I bet that’s exactly what’s going on in colleges right now. They have faculties full of biologists and engineers but their hired lawyers are the ones developing protection plans for a virus.
 #29658  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That’s not really true. Anyone cannot just file a lawsuit. It’s not that simple. You have to have a really good case before a lawyer will talk to you. I thought my son-in-law had a really good case against his employer and the lawyers wouldn’t even call him back. We have lived with infectious diseases for ever and all of a sudden we have one that everyone is going to sue over? Ok you get sick for a couple of weeks are people really going to try to sue over that just because the news media has hyped this disease to epic proportions? Why would athletes be any different than regular students, BTW I still believe there are a lot of false results out there. Race driver Jimmy Johnson tested positive on Friday but has had 2 negative the first of the week and has been cleared. That first test had to be wrong.
 #29667  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:53 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:33 pm
BIG 10 is only playing conference games for all sports in the fall.
Another stupid knee jerk reaction to the ACC decision. So let me get this straight. Conference game are not as dangerous as non-conference games. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 They are depriving everyone of some great non-conference matchups.