• In the Past

#29566  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:30 pm
That was the GOAT, but I was stuck taking the GRE that day.
 #29567  by tim
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:34 pm
I was at the Carolina game, and I'll never forget the Carolina fan in front of me that stood up and said "I give up, I GIVE UP!!" It was actually early second half and FU had gone up 21-3 featuring a long pass to Billy Risher, I believe.
 #29573  by gofurman
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:02 pm
No way do all the FCS players named even compare with one.. RANDY MOSS> not even close. Or TREVOR LAWRENCE (2018 !). Armanti Edwards and those ain't junk compared to Moss and Trevor Lawrence.

If Edwards was so great he woulda had more than a sip of coffee in the NFL. He was a phenom of an FCS player and the absolutely perfect fit for his position at App. I wish we coulda had him !!! but he ain't junk compared to Moss and Trevor Lawrence. Or how about Travis Etienne !! that dude is a freakin' monster... Peterson at GSU ain't close to Etienne talent.

The OP asked who is the best you have seen (us or the OPPONENT) so you have to include all the FBS.

I'll throw two more at ya.. we did pretty well vs a team in Columbia that had M. Lattimore and Alshon Jeffery ! Those are two STUDS. (Our own Adam Mims was quite the man that day - speed kills)
QCGlue liked this
 #29590  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:36 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 pm
1976 upset East Carolina, Whitehurst
Furmanoid, that reminds me of the time about '74 or '75 FU was playing ECU away. A bunch of my friends and I decided to go to the game about lunchtime on Sat. It is a 6 hour drive from Greenville, S.C. to Greenville, N.C. We all piled into Carl C's big used car, 5 or 6 of us about 12:30 P.M. and made the trek to ECU for a 7 P.M. game. When we were going thru downtown Greenville, N.C we were broadsided by a car that ran a red light. We had all been drinking, but I don't think our driver was, or we would all still be in jail. Thank goodness nobody was hurt and we made it to the game in the middle of the first quarter. I don't remember who won, don't remember if we stayed overnight or went back after the game, don't remember how we got back to S.C., and don't remember if Carl's car was still driveable.
 #29596  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:29 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:36 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:18 pm
1976 upset East Carolina, Whitehurst
Furmanoid, that reminds me of the time about '74 or '75 FU was playing ECU away. A bunch of my friends and I decided to go to the game about lunchtime on Sat. It is a 6 hour drive from Greenville, S.C. to Greenville, N.C. We all piled into Carl C's big used car, 5 or 6 of us about 12:30 P.M. and made the trek to ECU for a 7 P.M. game. When we were going thru downtown Greenville, N.C we were broadsided by a car that ran a red light. We had all been drinking, but I don't think our driver was, or we would all still be in jail. Thank goodness nobody was hurt and we made it to the game in the middle of the first quarter. I don't remember who won, don't remember if we stayed overnight or went back after the game, don't remember how we got back to S.C., and don't remember if Carl's car was still driveable.
I was at Camden HS but made the trip once a year to see my FU older brothers and watch a game. I remember that being a good game and big upset and my brother John saying the QB might get drafted. About one year later I saw that QB beat the Redskins on Monday Night Football.
 #29605  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:37 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:02 pm
No way do all the FCS players named even compare with one.. RANDY MOSS> not even close. Or TREVOR LAWRENCE (2018 !). Armanti Edwards and those ain't junk compared to Moss and Trevor Lawrence.

If Edwards was so great he woulda had more than a sip of coffee in the NFL. He was a phenom of an FCS player and the absolutely perfect fit for his position at App. I wish we coulda had him !!! but he ain't junk compared to Moss and Trevor Lawrence. Or how about Travis Etienne !! that dude is a freakin' monster... Peterson at GSU ain't close to Etienne talent.

The OP asked who is the best you have seen (us or the OPPONENT) so you have to include all the FBS.

I'll throw two more at ya.. we did pretty well vs a team in Columbia that had M. Lattimore and Alshon Jeffery ! Those are two STUDS. (Our own Adam Mims was quite the man that day - speed kills)
I mean, I don't think the import of the question is to list the great FBS talents. We could do that all day.

I don't draw too many comparisons based on their NFL success. There are plenty of great college players that didn't spend a lot of time in the NFL. Edwards is one. Tim Tebow was perhaps the most dominant college player ever and he was in the league only about 3 seasons.

By that metric, the some of the greatest players Furman ever played would be guys like Marques Colston, who wasn't a stellar college player but excelled in the NFL. Even a guy like Tyrod Taylor has put together a solid NFL career and I don't think anyone would consider him one of the great players Furman ever lined up against.
 #29608  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm
Colston was a dominant player in Paladin Stadium when Hofstra came down here. So much so that I wrote his name down and drafted him the next year in my fantasy football league and he paid off huge.
fufanatic liked this
 #29612  by JohnKX512
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:39 pm
My favorite player to watch was Ingle Martin. I remember a few fake punts for passes. The first Furman televised game I ever watched, and it was on ESPN I believe, was the 2005 Jacksonville State game with the last minute touchdown.

We have posted a lot about the 70s and 80s, some early 00s. I don't know if this shows everyoness age or if we are forgetting some more recent studs.
 #29616  by kwiland
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am
I was there and when If I had to choose one it would have to be the ‘82 SC game.
Was there also and have never, ever seen 80,000 people disappear so fast!
dornb liked this
 #29626  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:14 pm
kwiland wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am
I was there and when If I had to choose one it would have to be the ‘82 SC game.
Was there also and have never, ever seen 80,000 people disappear so fast!
 #29630  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm
Colston was a dominant player in Paladin Stadium when Hofstra came down here. So much so that I wrote his name down and drafted him the next year in my fantasy football league and he paid off huge.
Looking back, Colston had 7 catches for 64 yards and a score.

That was a good day at the office, but not overwhelming.
 #29632  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:42 pm
It wasnt just his catches. His presence demanded attention. IIRC the game went to OT. He influenced the game just by being on the field.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29634  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Another good one was Carlester Crumpler from East Carolina. That goes back to early/mid 70's Sirrine for you youngsters.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29636  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:01 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Another good one was Carlester Crumpler from East Carolina. That goes back to early/mid 70's Sirrine for you youngsters.
Actually my fondest FU football memories are from Sirrine in that era. I was going up once a year to see my brothers usually on RA day. Once we went at homecoming and saw an intrasquad b-ball game with Clyde and Moose before a FB game against Guilford or somebody.
 #29639  by soconjohn
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:16 pm
2001 Furman over Georgia Southern.
1988 Furman over Marshall.
2001 Furman over Western Kentucky (underrated game, but what a great win)
Davemeister, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.