• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#29459  by FGT
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am
Boise State is eliminating baseball. Don't think they even had it very long. So now there are two schools that eliminated the sport ...
Three actually since Chicago St. dropped baseball as well. I have no idea why Chicago St was investing in baseball. From 2000 to 2019 they won a grand total of 195 games while losing 858 games. That’s not a misprint. In 2020 they were off to a 2-16 start. They did all this while criss crossing the country playing in the Western Athletic Conference. When the pandemic hit they were getting ready to take a week long trip to Hawaii for a few games.
 #29524  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm
FGT wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am
Boise State is eliminating baseball. Don't think they even had it very long. So now there are two schools that eliminated the sport ...
Three actually since Chicago St. dropped baseball as well. I have no idea why Chicago St was investing in baseball. From 2000 to 2019 they won a grand total of 195 games while losing 858 games. That’s not a misprint. In 2020 they were off to a 2-16 start. They did all this while criss crossing the country playing in the Western Athletic Conference. When the pandemic hit they were getting ready to take a week long trip to Hawaii for a few games.
I've been to some baseball games at Chicago State and everything you said is spot on. Made little sense considering the Chicago weather, the school's financial issues, the conference they played in and so much more. They had a fairly nice little field that was new, which now seems like a waste of money. To be honest, not sure I see men's soccer succeeding there either.
 #29530  by MetroMizzy
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm
Since it doesn't really matter anymore, IMO, and the battle is such an uphill one that it will take years, a decade, I dunno, maybe longer if ever for the baseball program to be resurrected...

The original vote was to eliminate Men's and Women's Lacrosse AND Softball. That wasn't good enough for ED so she told the BOT to come up with another solution. Can't wait for people to tell me I'm lying. I'm not.

JD and others are still having discussions about how to bring the program back. The numbers he is throwing out are large and nothing in writing so I won't post it. Like I said, If I win the powerball, it's on.
apaladin liked this
 #29537  by Sad Din
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:28 pm
The more you learn the deeper it gets...

The easy probably no brainer solution would have been M and W lax since they were the last to the show. A good compromise would have been just MLax

Also, FU has Rugby, equestrian and cycling. Maybe not the $$ of D1 sports but would have impacted much less players.

They could have also turned baseball in a club sport or DII or DIII. Maybe the equip cost would have not dropped alot but they could have saved on scholies and travel costs

It all still doesnt make any sense...
Last edited by Sad Din on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29542  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:28 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm
Since it doesn't really matter anymore, IMO, and the battle is such an uphill one that it will take years, a decade, I dunno, maybe longer if ever for the baseball program to be resurrected...

The original vote was to eliminate Men's and Women's Lacrosse AND Softball. That wasn't good enough for ED so she told the BOT to come up with another solution. Can't wait for people to tell me I'm lying. I'm not.

JD and others are still having discussions about how to bring the program back. The numbers he is throwing out are large and nothing in writing so I won't post it. Like I said, If I win the powerball, it's on.
The more info that is coming out is revealing how poorly thought out this decision was. A better approach would have been to reach out to the FU baseball community and FU alumni and let them know there was a problem. I believe they and many others would have stepped up financially and solved the problem. If that approach was unsuccessful then, and only then,should the program be dropped. I would have been O.K. with the first vote: drop softball, and men's and women's lacrosse. I would have felt bad for those athlete's, but those sports don't have the longevity and tradition that baseball does. In fact, they are not even close.

When the men's golf team was almost done away with in 2014, the golf alumni and many other friends of the university and the golf program stepped up and saved it. Fast forward 6 years and now we have one of the best young coach's in college golf, have had two very good recruiting years in a row, and are on the cusp of being relevant nationally again. I expect the men's golfers to win the SoCon in 2021.
MetroMizzy, fufanatic liked this
 #29550  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 am
Sad Din wrote:

The easy probably no brainer solution would have been M and W lax since they were the last to the show. A good compromise would have been just MLax

Also, FU has Rugby, equestrian and cycling. Maybe not the $$ of D1 sports but would have impacted much less players.

They could have also turned baseball in a club sport or DII or DIII. Maybe the equip cost would have not dropped alot but they could have saved on scholies and travel costs

Sad Din- agree with you. Just an FYI, if you are a D1 school you cannot compete in a sport in D2 or D3 so that was/is not an option.
 #29564  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

Sad Din- agree with you. Just an FYI, if you are a D1 school you cannot compete in a sport in D2 or D3 so that was/is not an option.
There is a way to get a mixed classification. Augusta U. has had great success in DI golf while playing DII everything else.
 #29582  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:46 am
https://www.sportico.com/2020/leagues/c ... 234608297/

If you have 5 minutes read this article. It is exactly what I've been saying, or attempting to say. This was not a business decision IMO.
Wow Metro M. That makes way too much sense! You ought to send a copy of that to every member of the BOT and save the last copy and shove it up Pres. Davis's ass.

That's exactly how sports other than football and basketball were funded in the 60's and 70's. I was not recruited anywhere but I wanted to play golf,so I came to Furman for the academics and because it had one of best golf courses in the country right on campus and walk-ons were welcome. They didn't have a lot of scholarship money for golf, maybe 1 1/2 split up between 4-5 players. Nobody had anywhere close to a full ride. We had a 6 round qualifying tournament to see who made the team and I bet there were 40-50 guys trying out for about 10-12 spots. And there were some damn good players too.

We won the SoCon three times, went to the NCAA's twice, and were ranked 17th in the nation one year while I was there. We had one player that qualified for the U.S. Open while he was still at Furman, one that won the South Carolina State Amateur, and one that after Furman won the Carolina's Amateur and later was a U.S. Senior Open qualifiee and won multiple Senior State Amateurs There also was a player that graduated right before I came that was runner-up at the U.S. Amateur and played in the 1974 and 1975 Masters.

Bottom line we were able to compete without a lot of scholarship money. I know things have changed but not necessarily for the better. Sports has somehow gotten too expensive. Hell, the women won the national championship with no scholarship money.

I bet there were more baseball players paying their own way than there were players on scholarship. You're right, that was more than a business decision. If it was a business decision it was a poor one.
apaladin, MetroMizzy liked this
 #29591  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 am
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

There is a way to get a mixed classification. Augusta U. has had great success in DI golf while playing DII everything else.
They play up in one sport. Several hockey teams do this up north. You cannot play down. Like I said if you are D1 you have to play in D1.
 #29592  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 am
MetroMizzy wrote:

If you have 5 minutes read this article. It is exactly what I've been saying, or attempting to say. This was not a business decision IMO.
We had already said this, so you would think the highly intelligent BOT members would have figured it out. Guess not and they let ED ramrod them. Still mad and sad.
 #29603  by MetroMizzy
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:37 am
FurmAlum wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:

Wow Metro M. That makes way too much sense! You ought to send a copy of that to every member of the BOT and save the last copy and shove it up Pres. Davis's ass.

That's exactly how sports other than football and basketball were funded in the 60's and 70's. I was not recruited anywhere but I wanted to play golf,so I came to Furman for the academics and because it had one of best golf courses in the country right on campus and walk-ons were welcome. They didn't have a lot of scholarship money for golf, maybe 1 1/2 split up between 4-5 players. Nobody had anywhere close to a full ride. We had a 6 round qualifying tournament to see who made the team and I bet there were 40-50 guys trying out for about 10-12 spots. And there were some damn good players too.

We won the SoCon three times, went to the NCAA's twice, and were ranked 17th in the nation one year while I was there. We had one player that qualified for the U.S. Open while he was still at Furman, one that won the South Carolina State Amateur, and one that after Furman won the Carolina's Amateur and later was a U.S. Senior Open qualifiee and won multiple Senior State Amateurs There also was a player that graduated right before I came that was runner-up at the U.S. Amateur and played in the 1974 and 1975 Masters.

Bottom line we were able to compete without a lot of scholarship money. I know things have changed but not necessarily for the better. Sports has somehow gotten too expensive. Hell, the women won the national championship with no scholarship money.

I bet there were more baseball players paying their own way than there were players on scholarship. You're right, that was more than a business decision. If it was a business decision it was a poor one.
Awesome stories FA!

Terrible business decision which is why i say it wasn't a business decision. It just doesn't make sense. I sent that article to the people that need to have it. It's just so much easier to tweak the program before you drop it all together and the administration could have done that if it truly was a business decision.

Also ED blocked me on twitter. I said NOTHING inappropriate to her. She is weak.
 #29604  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:06 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:37 am
FurmAlum wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:

Awesome stories FA!

Terrible business decision which is why i say it wasn't a business decision. It just doesn't make sense. I sent that article to the people that need to have it. It's just so much easier to tweak the program before you drop it all together and the administration could have done that if it truly was a business decision.

Also ED blocked me on twitter. I said NOTHING inappropriate to her. She is weak.
If she blocked you, it was either inappropriate or harassement.
paladinfan12 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.