• The 2020 Season

#29579  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm
Report om the news today said the air in a plane re-circulates every 4 minutes. It includes fresh air and re-circulated air and is run through the same filters used in operating rooms. With masks (required), it probably safer to fly than to go to the beach. Don't know about buses, but since we use a local company, we can insure their buses are cleaned thoroughly.
I agree with Flagman on the aeroplane issue. I am not a pilot but I have two friends who are commercial pilots and one of them told me he feels safer breathing the air on the plane than in a grocery store
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #29580  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 pm
No surprise that the Patriot League, second only to the Ivy in academic snobbery, has got it bass ackwards.
 #29581  by gofurman
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 pm
Not negative. But w spikes in cases - right or wrong as a determinant - I think it’s 70/80 percent we don’t have football this year 😔. Hope we have it in 2021 ! Holding out hope for this yr though
 #29584  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am
DPLOT. Not only was Billy Hong the reigning Greenville County Amateur champion at the time of his death he also won the county in 1979. He was competing against local amateur golf legends like Dillard Traynham, CatHead Stroud, Tommy Biershenk, Frankie Impson, Barry Beeks, and Mike Gravely to name a few.
I recognize all those players. A lot of the FU golfers, including myself, used to play in the Greenville County Amateur. We called it the Redneck Open. One year it was at Paris Mountain G.C. About 1974 it was at a course way out in the country called Lakeview or Lakeside (I can't remember exactly). A bunch of us had gone down to Clemson to a Jethro Tull concert on Fri. night and had a lot to drink. They were late getting started. I don't think Tull came on till midnight. We got back about 5 A.M. and I had a 10 A.M. tee time. Decided not to go to bed, just went to Waffle House and had a big breakfast and a lot of coffee. One of my fraternity brothers volunteered to caddy for me. We couldn't find the golf course and were late and I got to the tee barely in time. Took two practice swings, tied the laces on my golf shoes, and shot a two under par 70 with no sleep. I was paired with that Barry Beeker guy that you mentioned above. On one of the par 5's I hit it up near the green in 2 and skulled the shit out of my pitch shot. It was gonna be about 30 yards over the green when it hit the top of the flagstick and dropped in the hole for an eagle 3! Ole Barry could barely stand it. My caddie said he was muttering to himself about it for a couple of holes. We got a big laugh out of that.

Unfortunately the golf gods caught up with me the next day. I believe shot 77 or 78. Either Frankie or Dillard won that year. Both of them were heck-uva players. There was a tall guy around late 30's or early 40's that was a basketball coach somewhere that was a good player and used to play in those events. I can't remember his name. Do you know who I'm talking about?
FUBeAR liked this
 #29586  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:28 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Fordham cancels first three games of season. Could this be a sign of things to come?

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2020/7/7 ... -2020.aspx
At least Fordham and their league have come up with some doable guidelines so they can start planning their season. I don’t understand the overnight travel thing. Are nice hotels riskier than student housing? And why is a plane riskier than a bus (assuming your team pretty much fills the plane)? But starting in late September and rescheduling games for weeks with better weather sounds ok to me.
Who trusts a hotel to clean correctly, even in the best of times? I would not travel on a plane or a bus right now. I agree about the plan. Sounds logical to me. I think this would be a best case scenario plan for football this fall. We need to keep in mind the possible legal issues. Truthfully, I’m more concerned about basketball than football.
Why do you keep bringing up “legal issues”. There is no way anyone can prove where they catch it. Even if they could why would someone else be responsible for it? If there were legal issues every store, restaurant, business etc. in the country would be closed. Why would this disease be any different than any other disease that exists? As for hotels etc you are not going to get it by touching something according to the cdc. They said the virus being transmitted from a surface are practically non-existent. The virus lives for a while in the sterile lab but not in the real world. Of course after they reported this it was never repeated by the media.
 #29587  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 pm
The Ivy League is expected to announce tomorrow cancellation of fall sports or at least a modified schedule. This won’t effect most D1 schools but this could be the last piece of the puzzle for ED to spring into action and continue her agenda. I could totally see the SoCon playing this year minus FU.
 #29588  by Paul C
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Ivy League is expected to announce tomorrow cancellation of fall sports or at least a modified schedule. This won’t effect most D1 schools but this could be the last piece of the puzzle for ED to spring into action and continue her agenda. I could totally see the SoCon playing this year minus FU.
There is no way that happens. No way.

Now, the entire SoCon could cancel, but no way just us.
FUKA61, Roundball, fufanatic liked this
 #29589  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
I fully expect those wimps in the Ivy League to cancel all fall sports tomorrow. That will be a terrible and completely unnecessary action.

So help me God, if the whole SoCon plays football without FU then Prez D needs to be asked to leave. The players want to play, the players parents want them to play and there is no reason fans shouldn't be allowed to come to the games. Now, there has to be some common sense precautions. Stadiums will be half empty, maybe no concessions, maybe no restroom facilities. Can't go pee. (May have to rethink that, oh my!)

Players and coach's will have to be protected as much as possible. Travel has to be sensible. Like RB says, everyone needs to be required to wear a mask.

I now believe that shutting down the whole economy was a terrible idea. Better to have required social distancing, required masks in public, kept the bars closed (take out only, etc.

Sooner or later we're just going to half to live with this. I am not a right wing Republican, nor do I like Trump, but I suspect like apaladin that we will learn to live with this around Nov. 15.
 #29594  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:42 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:28 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Fordham cancels first three games of season. Could this be a sign of things to come?

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2020/7/7 ... -2020.aspx
At least Fordham and their league have come up with some doable guidelines so they can start planning their season. I don’t understand the overnight travel thing. Are nice hotels riskier than student housing? And why is a plane riskier than a bus (assuming your team pretty much fills the plane)? But starting in late September and rescheduling games for weeks with better weather sounds ok to me.
Who trusts a hotel to clean correctly, even in the best of times? I would not travel on a plane or a bus right now. I agree about the plan. Sounds logical to me. I think this would be a best case scenario plan for football this fall. We need to keep in mind the possible legal issues. Truthfully, I’m more concerned about basketball than football.
Why do you keep bringing up “legal issues”. There is no way anyone can prove where they catch it. Even if they could why would someone else be responsible for it? If there were legal issues every store, restaurant, business etc. in the country would be closed. Why would this disease be any different than any other disease that exists? As for hotels etc you are not going to get it by touching something according to the cdc. They said the virus being transmitted from a surface are practically non-existent. The virus lives for a while in the sterile lab but not in the real world. Of course after they reported this it was never repeated by the media.
Wake up my friend. It’s simple. I bring up legal issues because schools don’t have the money to defend themselves if an outbreak occurs on campus. Of course, schools cannot afford to not open either. They are in a no win situation. Instead of condemning Elizabeth Davis for shutting down a sport, we need to lift her up in prayer as she seeks guidance on how to open Furman in the safest way possible. I choose to pray for her, right now.
Affirm liked this
 #29597  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 am
Most colleges are sending their plans out now. We finally got something from the CofC housing people yesterday. It was pretty sneaky in that if you don’t respond by midnight tonight, you’re kicked out of housing. Since kids live by text, not email, this maneuver should get them much closer to the 50% occupancy goal. After that cut they will tell my daughter’s sorority how many can stay in the house they signed up for months ago. Likely a few will find out in late July that they are kicked out and need to find a new place by mid August. I don’t know what happens to the 50% kicked out of dorms. At the house, my daughter will have to wear a mask even to sit in the living room or kitchen. Why even make a rule that stupid?

FU will probably have some similar plan. The big unknown is how many students will return under those conditions. Without all the protection I think it would be close to 100%. Even my daughter’s most Covid phobic blue state friends would now kill to get back to school. But if there’s no place to stay, there’s no place to stay. I wonder if overdone planning might drive enrollment so low that reopening isn’t economical at some schools.
 #29599  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:59 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am
DPLOT. Not only was Billy Hong the reigning Greenville County Amateur champion at the time of his death he also won the county in 1979. He was competing against local amateur golf legends like Dillard Traynham, CatHead Stroud, Tommy Biershenk, Frankie Impson, Barry Beeks, and Mike Gravely to name a few.
I recognize all those players. A lot of the FU golfers, including myself, used to play in the Greenville County Amateur. We called it the Redneck Open. One year it was at Paris Mountain G.C. About 1974 it was at a course way out in the country called Lakeview or Lakeside (I can't remember exactly). A bunch of us had gone down to Clemson to a Jethro Tull concert on Fri. night and had a lot to drink. They were late getting started. I don't think Tull came on till midnight. We got back about 5 A.M. and I had a 10 A.M. tee time. Decided not to go to bed, just went to Waffle House and had a big breakfast and a lot of coffee. One of my fraternity brothers volunteered to caddy for me. We couldn't find the golf course and were late and I got to the tee barely in time. Took two practice swings, tied the laces on my golf shoes, and shot a two under par 70 with no sleep. I was paired with that Barry Beeker guy that you mentioned above. On one of the par 5's I hit it up near the green in 2 and skulled the shit out of my pitch shot. It was gonna be about 30 yards over the green when it hit the top of the flagstick and dropped in the hole for an eagle 3! Ole Barry could barely stand it. My caddie said he was muttering to himself about it for a couple of holes. We got a big laugh out of that.

Unfortunately the golf gods caught up with me the next day. I believe shot 77 or 78. Either Frankie or Dillard won that year. Both of them were heck-uva players. There was a tall guy around late 30's or early 40's that was a basketball coach somewhere that was a good player and used to play in those events. I can't remember his name. Do you know who I'm talking about?
I play Lakeview 4 or 5 times a year. I cant recall the tall guy you are talking about. I knew CatHead and Dillard Traynham and Frank Impson is still around. I see him occasionally. He is friends with a friend of mine. A quick google search shows Frank Impson won the '74 tourney. Paris Mountain CC is in great shape right now.
 #29600  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am
Roundball, so anywhere there is an outbreak that place can be sued? If that is the case why is anywhere in the country open? Why would a school be held accountable for something they have no control over? If they are why aren’t nursing homes, where many have died, restaurants, business’ and manufacturing plantsSo what you are saying is wherever there is an outbreak of any disease everyone sues? If an individual is known to have spread it to someone can they be sued?
 #29601  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am
Roundball, so anywhere there is an outbreak that place can be sued? If that is the case why is anywhere in the country open? Why would a school be held accountable for something they have no control over? If they are why aren’t nursing homes, where many have died, restaurants, business’ and manufacturing plantsSo what you are saying is wherever there is an outbreak of any disease everyone sues? If an individual is known to have spread it to someone can they be sued?
The answer to your first question is yes. Nursing homes are being sued. There will many lawsuits over this virus. It’s all about money. All that said, it does not mean all will be found guilty. I simply saying schools will have to hire attorneys to defend themselves, even if the lawsuit is frivolous.
 #29602  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:29 am
What’s worse is that they, like businesses, will hire lawyers before even getting sued who will give them all sorts of wishy washy ultra conservative advice to help them avoid getting sued. You end up hogtied to the point that you can barely function, and then you get sued anyway. If your lawyers come up with too crazy of a reopening plan, your customers go elsewhere and you lose far more than you would have lost through lawsuits.