• The 2020 Season

#29534  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:17 pm
bj93 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:48 pm
I don't think there's much chance of 2020 happening. My prayer now is that FU has a 2021 and beyond football season and I'm far from certain about that.
I've had occasion recently to dissect this issue a bit, but the specific wording of whatever agreement Furman signed with Tennessee may become highly relevant.
 #29544  by Rokawaylifer
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:42 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm
Lived here until I got married at 30 without a/c and worked outside until I was 45. This summer has not been hot and humid. Yet.
Cave, I thought it impossible, but you make me look like one of those Who the smart set referS today as early adopters. Bought the first electric fan my family Ever owned in 1977, when I took some summer school courses and lived at montague with, although I was not a fb player, frank Moses. Everyone has their hot stories. For me it was driving from Greenville to Anderson with billy Hong In his yellow vw rabbit and working out in that quoNset hut He owned or leased in Anderson. Damn thing had to be 110 degrees inside. At least. And he’d keep the doors shut, just as he did at the Lauren’s road school, which was like a refrigerator by comparison. Many of My Dear sc buddies tell me Columbia is hellhole hot too. However, I somehow suspect that lower state folks might chime In that none of us kNows a damn thing about Hot.
FurmAlum liked this
 #29545  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:18 pm
In the last month virus cases are up 134% nationwide and deaths are down 39%. Still the obsession with cases continues in the media.
dornb liked this
 #29547  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
Lived here until I got married at 30 without a/c and worked outside until I was 45. This summer has not been hot and humid. Yet.
Cave, I thought it impossible, but you make me look like one of those Who the smart set referS today as early adopters. Bought the first electric fan my family Ever owned in 1977, when I took some summer school courses and lived at montague with, although I was not a fb player, frank Moses. Everyone has their hot stories. For me it was driving from Greenville to Anderson with billy Hong In his yellow vw rabbit and working out in that quoNset hut He owned or leased in Anderson. Damn thing had to be 110 degrees inside. At least. And he’d keep the doors shut, just as he did at the Lauren’s road school, which was like a refrigerator by comparison. Many of My Dear sc buddies tell me Columbia is hellhole hot too. However, I somehow suspect that lower state folks might chime In that none of us kNows a damn thing about Hot.
I knew Billy Hong too. When I was a freshman golfer at FU, Mike Hogan, who had graduated the year before would bring Billy to the FU golf course and we would play for some cash. Of course being college students we didn't have a lot of cash to play for. Billy was a pretty good golfer too. He was also hilarious. My favorite memory was one time he hit a shot and then said "I was gonna hitt-a hook-a, and then I chang-a my mind-a at top of backswing-a and hit a fade-a" The dialect was Korean-American pig-latin. I fell down on the ground laughing.

I read a book by Seymour Hersch sometime in the late 80's about the Korean Airliner shot down by the Russians in 1983. In the back of the book there was a list of all the passenger's and their hometowns. Billy Hong, from Greenville, S.C. was on the list. I assume that was the same Billy Hong that I had played golf with occasionally in the fall of '72 and spring of '73. He was probably going home to visit family. Very sad. He was a great guy.
 #29551  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:18 pm
In the last month virus cases are up 134% nationwide and deaths are down 39%. Still the obsession with cases continues in the media.
It’s good that deaths are down. However, hospitalizations in S.C. are at the highest level since the virus started. Hospitalizations are way up in the entire nation. The ICU count is up. Those on ventilators are up. Praying deaths stay down. This is a dangerous virus that no one should take lightly. Wear a mask. Practice social distancing.
 #29553  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 am
After reading this, I don’t see us having a football season at all. If we do have one, maybe the SoCon can continue playing, with no overnight stays and picking up a couple of games against close FBS teams. I like this part. “There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, multiple games against FCS schools." https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/colleg ... reddit.com
 #29554  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 am
After reading this, I don’t see us having a football season at all. If we do have one, maybe the SoCon can continue playing, with no overnight stays and picking up a couple of games against close FBS teams. I like this part. “There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, multiple games against FCS schools." https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/colleg ... reddit.com
This is a quote that I keep finding to be true just about everywhere:
"The most disappointing thing is the complete lack of leadership from the Big Ten and NCAA - I think the leaders are scared to death about taking responsibility and so it's every school president and athletic director for themselves," a Michigan coach said.
No one really seems to know what to do, so most in leadership roles tend to want to defer decision making down the line so as to maintain plausible deniability.

At any level of decision making, though, there are no correct answers. There are better answers, worse answers, and mostly shades of gray. Hard to remember a time where it seemed like literally no one knows what to do.
 #29558  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 am
I’m glad ncaa is paralyzed with fear. If they decided now they would shut it down. In 2 or 3 weeks things may be undeniably better. The death rate is already at or below the epidemic threshold. If hospitalizations could get better in about a dozen cities (like Greenville) then maybe we can decide to have some sort of season.
 #29559  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm
Rokawaylifer wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
I knew Billy Hong too. When I was a freshman golfer at FU, Mike Hogan, who had graduated the year before would bring Billy to the FU golf course and we would play for some cash. Of course being college students we didn't have a lot of cash to play for. Billy was a pretty good golfer too. He was also hilarious. My favorite memory was one time he hit a shot and then said "I was gonna hitt-a hook-a, and then I chang-a my mind-a at top of backswing-a and hit a fade-a" The dialect was Korean-American pig-latin. I fell down on the ground laughing.

I read a book by Seymour Hersch sometime in the late 80's about the Korean Airliner shot down by the Russians in 1983. In the back of the book there was a list of all the passenger's and their hometowns. Billy Hong, from Greenville, S.C. was on the list. I assume that was the same Billy Hong that I had played golf with occasionally in the fall of '72 and spring of '73. He was probably going home to visit family. Very sad. He was a great guy.
Billy Hong was an excellent golfer. IIRC he was reigning Greenville County Amateur Champion when the plane he was on was shot down.
 #29560  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:33 am
DPLOT. Not only was Billy Hong the reigning Greenville County Amateur champion at the time of his death he also won the county in 1979. He was competing against local amateur golf legends like Dillard Traynham, CatHead Stroud, Tommy Biershenk, Frankie Impson, Barry Beeks, and Mike Gravely to name a few.
FurmAlum liked this
 #29571  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:28 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Fordham cancels first three games of season. Could this be a sign of things to come?

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2020/7/7 ... -2020.aspx
At least Fordham and their league have come up with some doable guidelines so they can start planning their season. I don’t understand the overnight travel thing. Are nice hotels riskier than student housing? And why is a plane riskier than a bus (assuming your team pretty much fills the plane)? But starting in late September and rescheduling games for weeks with better weather sounds ok to me.
 #29574  by Roundball
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Fordham cancels first three games of season. Could this be a sign of things to come?

At least Fordham and their league have come up with some doable guidelines so they can start planning their season. I don’t understand the overnight travel thing. Are nice hotels riskier than student housing? And why is a plane riskier than a bus (assuming your team pretty much fills the plane)? But starting in late September and rescheduling games for weeks with better weather sounds ok to me.
Who trusts a hotel to clean correctly, even in the best of times? I would not travel on a plane or a bus right now. I agree about the plan. Sounds logical to me. I think this would be a best case scenario plan for football this fall. We need to keep in mind the possible legal issues. Truthfully, I’m more concerned about basketball than football.
 #29576  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:29 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Who trusts a hotel to clean correctly, even in the best of times? I would not travel on a plane or a bus right now. I agree about the plan. Sounds logical to me. I think this would be a best case scenario plan for football this fall. We need to keep in mind the possible legal issues. Truthfully, I’m more concerned about basketball than football.
nah - you good on planes. Just tell ur friendly neighborhood airline to order A BUNCH of these...

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/lea ... bin-system
 #29577  by Flagman
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm
Report om the news today said the air in a plane re-circulates every 4 minutes. It includes fresh air and re-circulated air and is run through the same filters used in operating rooms. With masks (required), it probably safer to fly than to go to the beach. Don't know about buses, but since we use a local company, we can insure their buses are cleaned thoroughly.
QCGlue liked this