• In the Past

#29514  by NEPA
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am
What was your most memorable Furman football game that you witnessed in person and who was the best player you ever saw in a Furman football game (including the opponent)? Thanks
 #29525  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Couple that standout include at Jacksonville State, at Georgia Southern in 2001 playoffs, at App in playoffs (memorable for horrible reasons). Best player I would really have to ponder on considering the FBS teams that Furman has played, but Adrian Peterson was unbelievable. As was Armanti Edwards. As was the RB Shipp from UMass who played in the NFL. At Furman, my favorites included Ivory, Ingle, Bear, Orlando Ruff and Will Bouton.
 #29535  by Flagman
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm
Since I've seen ~400 games, it's hard to pick "the" most memorable. The three national championship games we've participated in rank high, as does the October 16, 1982 game against the U of SC chickens.

Top players in purple/white: Ivory, Blankenship, Bouton, Martin.
Others: (Hard to type) Moss, Marshall; Edwards, App; Peterson, Ga. Sou..
 #29536  by furpal81
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:54 pm
Best game 2001 playoff game at GA Southern
 #29540  by FurmAlum
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Furman's 1976 upset of N.C State in Raleigh. Best payer - David Whitehurst.
 #29546  by HiHiYikas
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:27 pm
Hands down, the miracle on the mountain, close second the 2005 semi-final. I will go with Felton as having run over or through more App defenders than anybody else I have ever seen. Ingle was great opponent, but he was a transfer.
apaladin, soconjohn, Stumpy liked this
 #29548  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Furman's 1976 upset of N.C State in Raleigh. Best payer - David Whitehurst.
I was there, selling cold drinks in the stands, at Carter Stadium as a HS Jr.. Purple pants were my stars of that game. Grew up a BIG-TIME NC State fan, but my horizons had widened as the Wolfpack continued to show no interest in recruiting me, while Duke, UNC, WF, and GT were at least showing a lot of interest. So, when I saw the Pack looking like they were about to get handled by a school of which I was completely unfamiliar...that was wearing purple pants, I stopped selling drinks and watched the 2nd half...quietly pulling for Ferrum, or Furnam, or whatever they were called.

Great win...but, c’mon...beating the Cocks in Columbia, 28-23, in ‘82 has to be our best non-National Championship win. I had a VERY up close view of that one. So close that I could smell those dang nasty-a$$ chickens!
apaladin, FurmAlum liked this
 #29549  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:30 am
All the fbs wins and those ASU and GSU battles were epic. A couple that come to mind that I barely remember as a kid was the 1961 7-6 win over #10 Memphis State and 1963 14-13 win over Vandy. Of course stopping Citadels Stump Mitchell on the goal line to win the SoCon championship was the start of something big.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29555  by Paladonian
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 am
12/9/1989, the playoff game against Stephen F. Austin at Paladin Stadium. It wasn't a win, but it was a blast, watching a game in the snow! As for former players, there have been so many that stood out. One, in particular, still stands out in my mind....Jerome Felton. The "J" train! Just a helluva nice person, too! What a shame that his first season that year in the NFL was with the win-less Detroit Lions.
FGT liked this
 #29557  by DC Paladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 am
Two games really stand out for me. One was the USC game of 1982. The late drive where Furman took the ball down the field in six plays making a clear statement of which team was dominant. I was in my first year at the USC law school and got called on in every class on the following Monday (perhaps because I was wearing purple. The second game was the Citadel game in 1978. One of the most dramatic endings of a game that begin a decade of domination. Players would be Stanford Jennings who was a joy to watch as a runner.
FUBeAR liked this
 #29561  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 am
2004 Georgia Southern game was perhaps the greatest game I have witnessed in person. Hofstra game in '05 was sensational.

Best player FU: Stanford Jennings Opponent: Marques Colston. He was dominant.
soconjohn liked this
 #29562  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am
DC Paladin wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 am
Two games really stand out for me. One was the USC game of 1982. The late drive where Furman took the ball down the field in six plays making a clear statement of which team was dominant. I was in my first year at the USC law school and got called on in every class on the following Monday (perhaps because I was wearing purple. The second game was the Citadel game in 1978. One of the most dramatic endings of a game that begin a decade of domination. Players would be Stanford Jennings who was a joy to watch as a runner.
Beautiful post...2 awesome games.

Just a little color on that drive against the Cocks you cited. I believe they had closed the gap with a 4th quarter TD to 21 - 16 with about 8 minutes to play. We took the ball on the 20 after their kickoff and went 80 yards on 6 running plays - SHREDDING their D, like they were Davidson. A little bit of Stanford on the toss sweep, and I think 1 counter option, and 2 or 3 traps right up the gut, off sweep & option-looking action with Steve Bennett & John Drye ripping off those Fullback yards. On that drive, the Cock Defenders didn’t know whether to scratch their watches or wind their a$$es. They were ‘cheating’ to what they thought we were gonna run & we were puttin’ ‘em on roller skates. Not sure if Stanford was winded or had an equipment issue, but whirling dervish, TB Robbie Gardner, capped that drive with a toss sweep right into their end zone, right in front of the Furman Fan section. It was text-book, picture-perfect FU Football!

FUBeAR & Sluggo, et al were VERY EXCITED following that game clinching TD made the score 28-16.

#29565  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am
I was there and when If I had to choose one it would have to be the ‘82 SC game.
QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.