• Depth Chart

#2941  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am
Lots to digest from the chart. It looks to me that Dru Seabrook, Bo McKinney, Ross Detamore and Deon Sanders have all had good preseason practices and moved up the charts. Among the freshmen, Gilby and Bell look to get significant playing time so far. 1 and 2 QB's still listed as either/or. Grainger has moved up a notch, which makes Sisson a likely candidate to red shirt. All in all, still a very young but very experienced team. Bodes will for the future. It will be interesting to see how the staff handles the new rules regarding red shirts.
 #2942  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:09 am
Not a much in the way of surprises other that those previously mentioned.

Will be very interesting to see how the new redshirt rule affects playing time for some of the Freshman where they might be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. In other words, in years past they'd probably be redshirted from the start but might get some limited playing time this year in light of the new rules. Good examples being Ryan Miller at TE, Devin Abrams at FB, Jax Hackett at LB and Taylor Hodge at DT.
 #2943  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:14 am
Jasper wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am
Lots to digest from the chart. It looks to me that Dru Seabrook, Bo McKinney, Ross Detamore and Deon Sanders have all had good preseason practices and moved up the charts. Among the freshmen, Gilby and Bell look to get significant playing time so far. 1 and 2 QB's still listed as either/or. Grainger has moved up a notch, which makes Sisson a likely candidate to red shirt. All in all, still a very young but very experienced team. Bodes will for the future. It will be interesting to see how the staff handles the new rules regarding red shirts.
The DE position is loaded… man Furman has come a long way. It wasn't too long ago when our DEs have converted from linebacker.

I'm guessing, Bo McKinney was a walk-on from TR HS. When McKinney showed up on the roster last year, and I spotted him on the sidelines, I wondered — can this coaching staff take a big kid 6-7 well over 300 and teach him technique, improve their skills, tune their body into a lineman that gets quality PT and earns a starting role by his junior year. If my memory is correct, that was a common occurrence through Sheridan-Satterfield-Johnson.
Last edited by AstroDin on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper, fufanatic liked this
 #2944  by Paul C
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:25 am
BTW, one surprise is that at DE is Okonya OR Seabrook
 #2945  by Paladin91
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:07 pm
Not surprised, but it is interesting that Quandarius Weems and Amir Trapp now are the 2 starters at CB. Definitely a position with good depth.
 #2946  by Jasper
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:30 pm
Good take on the McKinney situation, Astro. That is exactly the case. A kid his size coming out of TR HS with ostensibly no offers must have very limited experience and coaching or we would never had a shot at him. This local boy sure looks like he came to right place with our talented coaching staff for OL. We could wind up with a pro size tackle here who could dominate. Coaching up must be a big part of our overall effort as I have heard it was during the halcyon years. Great job by the staff and the player to make him into a contributor so quickly.
 #2948  by JohnW
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:22 pm
Looking at the DC again today and a couple of things caught my eye I missed yesterday. Davonta Porter is listed at 225 lbs and Parker Stoke at svelte 270.
 #2950  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:30 pm
JohnW wrote:
Looking at the DC again today and a couple of things caught my eye I missed yesterday. Davonta Porter is listed at 225 lbs and Parker Stoke at svelte 270.
ditto on Stokes — I thought Stokes was deceptively quick last season, he appears to be faster from what I've seen in the pre-season. I love J Reid but I see zero drop-off when Stokes is in there.
 #2953  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 pm
JohnW wrote:
Also informs a little bit of how our defense wants to play. Not many teams are asking noseguards to drop weight.
 #2960  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 am
Time will tell but I'm kinda wondering has Furman gotten a unique 'talent' in Granger? I thought he looked solid in the first scrimmage and I've heard he's had a great week of practice this week.

A few things to keep in mind, Granger only played one season as a high school quarterback. Prior to last season, Granger was a wide receiver. I had no idea Granger suffered a leg injury from a car wreck, leading people to doubt he would be able to return for his senior season.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sport ... 70132.html
 #2961  by JohnW
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:40 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 am
Time will tell but I'm kinda wondering has Furman gotten a unique 'talent' in Granger? I thought he looked solid in the first scrimmage and I've heard he's had a great week of practice this week.

A few things to keep in mind, Granger only played one season as a high school quarterback. Prior to last season, Granger was a wide receiver. I had no idea Granger suffered a leg injury from a car wreck, leading people to doubt he would be able to return for his senior season.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sport ... 70132.html
I think Grainger has the potential to be special. Even in that strange scrimmage last Saturday he stood out. He only had two chances in the live part and led scoring drives both times. Everyone there will remember the TD run, but on the first drive he threw a deep fade to the back of the end zone and put it right on the receivers hands with a DB right there. From a skill set I think he's the total package. At Conway he played behind a 3* QB that I think signed with App St and only started his senior year coming off a serious injury. That kept him under the radar, but he can play. Talent doesn't ensure success especially at QB, but he has the tools.
Jasper liked this
 #2962  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 am
You are correct, John W. He sure looked like a special talent in the now infamous scrimmage. When thing broke down around him he did not panic but used his considerable athleticism to make something of nothing. His TD was a thing of beauty. His effortless, long stride pulled away from some very fast DB's on his long jaunt. This kid will only get better. It appears he had moved up a notch in the QB pecking order as a result of that scrimmage. He could be a perfect beneficiary of the new redshirt rule this season by gaining some experience while not losing a year of eligibility. Or, he just might force his way onto the field. Time will tell.
 #2963  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 am
Incredibly exciting about the QB depth. Hopefully we will be on the right side of several blowouts this year and these guys will get some playing time.

You just hope that the ones that aren't playing are OK battling it out and don't want to transfer somewhere else. Seems to be a more common occurrence these days ... or at least we hear about it more.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.