• The 2020 Season

#29438  by fufanatic
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:45 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 am
Paul C is absolutely right. It was supposed to be two weeks to flatten the curve. The American people (who are constantly bashed as idiots by some on here) responded so well that Fauci et al lost their minds and started thinking they could cure the pandemic by shutdown. That couldn’t work but it took a few weeks for people to come to their senses after enormous damage was already done. And had it not been for governors in TX, GA and FL we might still be locked down. Because those guys prevented the destruction of the USA, they now have media crosshairs on them. The fable is that they ignored expert advice and now they have out of control outbreaks. Ok, TX has one of the dumb governors and 8 deaths per 100,000. NY has a genius governor (according to press) and 150 deaths per 100,000. I’ll take the dumb guy.

You can’t have zero cases. That is dumb. We are doing about as well or better than other countries with good data.

Why are there areas with “skyrocketing cases” now? Because of the shut downs. They delayed the inevitable peaks. Had we stuck to two weeks to flatten the curve we and lots of other states would have our peaks in the rear view.
Would love for you to tell the family and friends of the 128K and counting dead that we did a great job with this pandemic. Remember when Trump said that there would only be a few cases, no deaths and it would just vanish in thin air once it warmed up? Talk about moving the goal posts. Zero deaths to 128K and counting being an awesome job.
 #29442  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:24 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Paul C is absolutely right. It was supposed to be two weeks to flatten the curve. The American people (who are constantly bashed as idiots by some on here) responded so well that Fauci et al lost their minds and started thinking they could cure the pandemic by shutdown. That couldn’t work but it took a few weeks for people to come to their senses after enormous damage was already done. And had it not been for governors in TX, GA and FL we might still be locked down. Because those guys prevented the destruction of the USA, they now have media crosshairs on them. The fable is that they ignored expert advice and now they have out of control outbreaks. Ok, TX has one of the dumb governors and 8 deaths per 100,000. NY has a genius governor (according to press) and 150 deaths per 100,000. I’ll take the dumb guy.

You can’t have zero cases. That is dumb. We are doing about as well or better than other countries with good data.

Why are there areas with “skyrocketing cases” now? Because of the shut downs. They delayed the inevitable peaks. Had we stuck to two weeks to flatten the curve we and lots of other states would have our peaks in the rear view.
Would love for you to tell the family and friends of the 128K and counting dead that we did a great job with this pandemic. Remember when Trump said that there would only be a few cases, no deaths and it would just vanish in thin air once it warmed up? Talk about moving the goal posts. Zero deaths to 128K and counting being an awesome job.
Where did I say we did a great job? Where did I mention anything about Trump? I would say though, that most parts of this country are doing pretty well. One section of the country did worse than almost anywhere in the world, but I don’t think of that area as MAGA country.
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #29444  by fufanatic
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

Where did I say we did a great job? Where did I mention anything about Trump? I would say though, that most parts of this country are doing pretty well. One section of the country did worse than almost anywhere in the world, but I don’t think of that area as MAGA country.
New York happened because it's millions of people live in a very small space. It got hit hard before our country started taking it seriously. It's not because they have Democratic leadership or because they shutdown. Can you imagine how many people would have gotten sick and died if everyone just went about their lives as normal during that time period?
 #29449  by Paul C
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:22 pm
furpep wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 am
I just started following this thread and am sort of disappointed at there are many who seem to believe that football takes precedence over health concerns and the needless exposure of young men and women to these risks. I am a proponent of cancelling all NCAA sports until at least January, andI personally believe that all colleges should go to online learning until at least Winter. But if they have college sports then it should be without fans. No need to put anyone at risk, needlessly. Sorry if this is an unpopular position but I have no problem without sports in my life for now.
This, despite all the SCIENCE that says the risk to 18-25 year olds is virtually ZERO??
 #29450  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:26 pm
Paul C wrote:
furpep wrote:
I just started following this thread and am sort of disappointed at there are many who seem to believe that football takes precedence over health concerns and the needless exposure of young men and women to these risks. I am a proponent of cancelling all NCAA sports until at least January, andI personally believe that all colleges should go to online learning until at least Winter. But if they have college sports then it should be without fans. No need to put anyone at risk, needlessly. Sorry if this is an unpopular position but I have no problem without sports in my life for now.
This, despite all the SCIENCE that says the risk to 18-25 year olds is virtually ZERO??
But, those virtually zero risk young people can spread to those at high risk. Then, there is this. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 338472002/
This too. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 349005002/
And this. https://www.independentmail.com/story/n ... 355216002/
Last edited by Roundball on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #29451  by Paul C
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:

New York happened because it's millions of people live in a very small space. It got hit hard before our country started taking it seriously. It's not because they have Democratic leadership or because they shutdown. Can you imagine how many people would have gotten sick and died if everyone just went about their lives as normal during that time period?
No. NYC got hit hard in large part to Cuomo ordering nursing homes and elder care facilities to take in COVID patients, thereby exposing the virus to the most vulnerable.
FurmanMom60, dornb, fupaladin01 and 1 others liked this
 #29452  by Paul C
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
Paul C wrote:
furpep wrote:
But, those virtually zero risk young people can spread to those at high risk.
Yes, that’s where practicing physical distancing and wearing facemasks when indoors and in context of prolonged individual exposure are part of the protocol.

My point was that the OP said “needless exposure of young men and women to these risks” which is clearly not what the science says.
 #29462  by soconjohn
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:40 pm
I think the reason younger people are spreading it is because at that age the world seemingly is all about us...Most of us come the realization of selflessness after college.
 #29469  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:26 am
A friend had this to say recently:

“The reality of covid in America is that, regardless of current trends in morbidity and mortality, the virus is out of control. Any apparent favorable trends are almost wholly due to serendipity, and also likely only transient, if not illusory.“
 #29473  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:21 am
soconjohn wrote:
I think the reason younger people are spreading it is because at that age the world seemingly is all about us...Most of us come the realization of selflessness after college.
Since young people are showing us that they are gonna spread it to each other whether they are in school or not, and since it actually is less deadly than flu for their age group doesn’t it make sense to send as many of them as possible off to college some place? That keeps them away from the vulnerable people. Old or sick faculty will be at some risk, but it is easily manageable. And if campus is full of Covid anyway, why should there be any added concern for athletes? The one group I would be concerned about is fat linemen, and actually that should be a concern even if there were no Covid. It is clear from the looks of many of them that nobody has been too concerned about their health up till now.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #29474  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Since young people are showing us that they are gonna spread it to each other whether they are in school or not, and since it actually is less deadly than flu for their age group doesn’t it make sense to send as many of them as possible off to college some place? That keeps them away from the vulnerable people. Old or sick faculty will be at some risk, but it is easily manageable. And if campus is full of Covid anyway, why should there be any added concern for athletes? The one group I would be concerned about is fat linemen, and actually that should be a concern even if there were no Covid. It is clear from the looks of many of them that nobody has been too concerned about their health up till now.
Damn. Just damn.
 #29475  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Damn. Just damn.
Do you mean schools should stay closed or do you mean there should be school but no sports? Or do you just disagree that morbid obesity is a health problem Covid or no Covid? Or is it the flu comparison? Note that I said “for their age group”.
 #29476  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:02 am
Having been morbidly obese myself, I do understand what that means.

My primary thought is that this situation has layers of complexity, and that many of us fail to recognize this. There is no easy solution. Being certain of anything is dangerous.
 #29478  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:15 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:02 am
Having been morbidly obese myself, I do understand what that means.

My primary thought is that this situation has layers of complexity, and that many of us fail to recognize this. There is no easy solution. Being certain of anything is dangerous.
Very true. But there probably isn’t time, 3 or 4 weeks, to fully understand all of the layers before decisions have to be made. I’m becoming afraid that ultra conservative decisions are coming that will keep all schools closed and only make matters worse. Down the road we might start closing every flu season just like we evacuate the coast nowadays if it rains in Savannah.
 #29480  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:02 am
Furmanoid wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Needs a disclaimer. Ain’t no “fat linemen” wearing purple & the Diamond <F> these days.