• The 2020 Season

#29379  by soconjohn
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 pm
I wear a mask and I also keep myself healthy by getting outside and exercising...except some people seem to think you can catch it from just breathing outside...it’s literally how far some people take this being safe thing that their thought process is not rational...Also, like someone said we can all do our part for football to happen, but we can't do everyone’s part.
 #29381  by soconjohn
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 pm
The fact is...Football players are at more risk of serious injury of the head or neck than dying or being seriously harmed by COVID...Until an actual athlete dies, I will continue to believe there is little to no risk for playing football, basketball etc...Now fans, that's a different story...50 and older I believe are at risk or those with underlying health issues...I get having football and no fans...What I don't get is not having football.
 #29382  by soconjohn
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 pm
I would be favor of having it in the spring if at all possible...Then maybe fans could come too.
 #29383  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 pm
soconjohn wrote:
I would be favor of having it in the spring if at all possible...Then maybe fans could come too.
Might be good for Furman since we don’t have a baseball team. I’m old school and have no interest in spring football. Spring is for spring practice. Things are prolly not going to get better until after the November election.
 #29384  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 pm
I am really beginning to believe we won’t have Furman football this season. Cases will continue to rise because people are getting tested for no reason. If you are feeling fine why get tested? At one time they were saying you could have it with no symptoms and still spread it. Now they are saying that most don’t spread it. If you get tested and test negative it doesn’t mean you want get it the next day, if you test positive what are you going to do? You can’t go to the doctor, you’re going to be told to stay home. Then you worry yourself to death and die from a stroke or heart attack. Then you have all the false positives. I know first hand of a company that a had a person test positive, jumped though all the hoops. The positive person had close contact with several others. No one else tested positive, now they are saying the original test was wrong, imagine that. People that have no symptoms should not get tested. It really does no good.
Your whole post is not factual. Where do you find this nonsense?
 #29385  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Might be good for Furman since we don’t have a baseball team. I’m old school and have no interest in spring football. Spring is for spring practice. Things are prolly not going to get better until after the November election.
I am not going to ask what the election has to do with the virus.
 #29388  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:59 am
Its idiots like this that are putting the 2020 college football season in jeopardy. https://fansided.com/2020/07/01/alabama ... d-parties/
Is it really better for football if students/players go to parties and get Covid in mid August instead of late June? Then you’d have the infections kicking in just as the season was trying to start. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect them not to be social until there’s a vaccine.
 #29390  by FU3
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 am
You can’t be serious. What about the families of these players you would have get infected?
One of the underlying health factors for serious illness is BMI ... how many D1 college linemen weigh 300 lbs+?In addition there will be those with undiagnosed health conditions
that put them at greater risk. All of this so they won’t get infected during football and deprive us our entertainment... just absurd.
 #29392  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 am
FU3 wrote:
You can’t be serious. What about the families of these players you would have get infected?
One of the underlying health factors for serious illness is BMI ... how many D1 college linemen weigh 300 lbs+?In addition there will be those with undiagnosed health conditions
that put them at greater risk. All of this so they won’t get infected during football and deprive us our entertainment... just absurd.
Ok try to follow me. School starts in August, right? When school starts there will be lots of parties and other social activities, right? College football players and college students are found at colleges. So they will be present for said parties and social activities, right?

So explain to me how you are going to keep them from getting infected then.
 #29393  by Roundball
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Ok try to follow me. School starts in August, right? When school starts there will be lots of parties and other social activities, right? College football players and college students are found at colleges. So they will be present for said parties and social activities, right?

Colleges are not going to take the liability risk. Unless the numbers turnaround, I don’t see students on campus until the spring semester.
 #29396  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:11 am
Pfizer just announced they could be distributing 100 million vaccines this year.
 #29401  by FU3
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU3 wrote:

The socialization and close contact are the exact reason why colleges in general and athletics in particular are so problematic under current conditions . The idea that everyone is going to get it anyway so let’s get this show on the road is part of the reason the US is leading In almost every negative metric for industrialized nations.Just noticed that Southern Cal is going to go online this semester... because of our complete lack of a functioning national policy they will not be the last.
 #29403  by fufanatic
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 pm
The U.S. has a fourth of all reported COVID-19 deaths in the world despite being only the third biggest country by population. I really don't need any other stats or spin to see that what we've done since day 1 has been an epic failure.
 #29408  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 pm
The U.S. has a fourth of all reported COVID-19 deaths in the world despite being only the third biggest country by population. I really don't need any other stats or spin to see that what we've done since day 1 has been an epic failure.
We’re doing better than Belgium, Spain, Sweden, Italy, UK and France in per capita deaths. We’re close to Ireland and the Netherlands. So we stack up pretty decent compared to countries with somewhat reliable numbers. If we could ignore one fairly small geographical region of the country, we would compare pretty well against everybody. Of course you have places like Russia and China where it’s anybody’s guess what’s really going on. And there are places in the Southern Hemisphere where things are just getting started. Nationally our death rate is dropping like a rock. Don’t be so hard on the good old USA. It’s the greatest country in history.