• The 2020 Season

#29341  by FU3
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:31 pm
Record cases in SC today with a 19% rate of positives. Hospitalizations are up in both N.C. and S.C. The idea that our country (with such tremendous wealth and technical capabilities)would be currently handling this pandemic about as well as Russia or Brazil is pretty damn stunning. Take a look at how Korea and other countries have successfully managed this outbreak to date... we have been behind in our response as a country since day 1.
 #29342  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 pm
On a positive note, the death rate/ week in SC hasn’t gone up since mid April. That’s after several weeks of drastic case increases.
 #29344  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:08 pm
Paul C, that was a great post. The reason the cases are spiking is the U.S. is testing every Joe Blow out of fear that every person that has it spreads it, symptoms or no. A new report out today says most people that have it don’t spread it. Imagine that? So in other words healthy people are getting tested, testing positive and never get sick or spread it. So what’s the point? Backs up Paul C’s post. Like others have said look at the hospitalizations and death rate. We definitely need to get over the cases phobia.
 #29345  by FU3
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Your views on increased testing will come as a big surprise to all those additional people who are currently hospitalized. You keep leaning on Paul C but as he correctly pointed out there is a considerable lag time in deaths. There is no “good” news in any of the current statistics. There is very dangerous disease that is approaching exponential growth(again) with no apparent national strategy to fight it.
JohnKX512 liked this
 #29346  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Your views on increased testing will come as a big surprise to all those additional people who are currently hospitalized. You keep leaning on Paul C but as he correctly pointed out there is a considerable lag time in deaths. There is no “good” news in any of the current statistics. There is very dangerous disease that is approaching exponential growth(again) with no apparent national strategy to fight it.
From mid April to mid June cases per week in SC went up by a factor of 4. Deaths per week did not change. That is good news. Two months is plenty of time to account for any lag. It is possible that a big wave of death is coming, but there is at this point zero evidence of that. Testing rates changed. Admissions procedures changed. You cannot do meaningful trending with those numbers. The procedure for counting deaths hasn’t changed so you can do meaningful trending with those numbers. This will not be over until a ton more people get infected. That’s the only way it can happen. It appears that right now they’re getting infected in droves but not dying. That’s great news! The glass is half full.
 #29347  by soconjohn
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I'm actually more confident we will have a football season...There's literally no risk to football players in optimum health...A serious head or neck injury are a much higher risk for a college football player than COVID-19
Last edited by soconjohn on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
apaladin liked this
 #29348  by soconjohn
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 pm
And if Bill Gates is a doctor, I like our chances for a football season....Lockdown states have had four times the death rate than ones that didn't...go figure...The so-called "experts" keep being wrong...Also, I am no expert...But the experts don't seem to be either...lol...I think the ability to test like we have now means we will have football...My point of view is that you can't live your life in fear...42% of the deaths from this have come in nursing homes.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #29351  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 pm
Augusta lost its only remaining radio sports station yesterday so I think this is a trend everywhere. I tried to get Doug Gotlieb and got Malcolm X instead. Pretty weird.
underjack liked this
 #29352  by soconjohn
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:54 pm
I've heard that sports radio has really been suffering the past couple of years...Hopefully it doesn't get cut like the sports pages in newspapers have throughout the nation...It's a bad time for the sports media industry unfortunately.
underjack liked this
 #29353  by underjack
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 pm
What local station will pick.up the football and basketball for broadcasting the games
I hope Dan Scott will still continue as our play by play main man. He is a loyal and a dedicated pro.
The school.owes us an explanation.
dornb liked this
 #29355  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 pm
underjack wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 pm
What local station will pick.up the football and basketball for broadcasting the games
I hope Dan Scott will still continue as our play by play main man. He is a loyal and a dedicated pro.
The school.owes us an explanation.
Just a guess but the games will prolly be streamed only. On the other hand 1440 could still carry the Furman games. Lots of radio stations carry Clempson that are not sports. I think FU has/had a contract with 1440 so them carrying the games is still possible. Would love a local FM station.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar TV

by MNORM

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.