• The 2020 Season

#29305  by FU3
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:55 am
That is only because the Mayor of the city has enacted mandatory masks in grocery stores. The county has not. Mask wearing and any sort of social distancing has been at best minimal. I really hope I am wrong but I believe this huge uptick in cases across most of the country may result in fall college sports being cancelled.
 #29306  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 am
I think it may turn out the opposite. A spike or apex of some shape has to happen sometime. This acceleration if its real seems to usually last just a few weeks before it starts going down again (like in NY). So maybe we get this peak done in early July. Better then than in September. At least up to this point deaths have remained pretty steady. This week’s total should be telling since it’s been at least two weeks since cases skyrocketed.
 #29314  by JohnKX512
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I think it may turn out the opposite. A spike or apex of some shape has to happen sometime. This acceleration if its real seems to usually last just a few weeks before it starts going down again (like in NY). So maybe we get this peak done in early July. Better then than in September. At least up to this point deaths have remained pretty steady. This week’s total should be telling since it’s been at least two weeks since cases skyrocketed.
I think you are grossly under estimating exactly what this disease does.

We will not see a down turn unless there is more mandate on masks or treatments. Currently the SC governor has done absolutely nothing except suggest things.

Wear a mask, do not go out unless you have to. I hope we can turn the curve back down.

Many students won't be "sick" but all of them will have the ability to spread it to those that will. Please, understand this. We did the same thing with Spanish Influenza, Polio, AIDS, etc. Listen to experts and doctors and continue to be healthy in all interactions.

I want and I need college football. But I don't deserve it unless those around me will help.
Roundball, hypercycloid liked this
 #29317  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
We did the same thing with Spanish Influenza, Polio, AIDS, etc.
Exactly but the difference in then and now is the media and social media. I lived thru all of those and never was scared to death. We lived thru those without all the nonsense going on now such as having this rammed down our throat constantly every day by the media. Don’t get me wrong it is very serious but it will run its course like every other virus and we will just have to live with it. Really don’t think the masks, social distancing etc does a whole lot of good. We were social distancing all along and the mask wearing has increased significantly the last few weeks but the cases have skyrocketed. I know I’m in the minority but I think it is up to the virus more than peeps. This may not go away until after the election. If the virus doesn’t just go away the media’s spin on it will certainly change.
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #29318  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I think you are grossly under estimating exactly what this disease does.

We will not see a down turn unless there is more mandate on masks or treatments. Currently the SC governor has done absolutely nothing except suggest things.

Wear a mask, do not go out unless you have to. I hope we can turn the curve back down.

Many students won't be "sick" but all of them will have the ability to spread it to those that will. Please, understand this. We did the same thing with Spanish Influenza, Polio, AIDS, etc. Listen to experts and doctors and continue to be healthy in all interactions.

I want and I need college football. But I don't deserve it unless those around me will help.
Are you thinking no school, no campus classes or just no sports? Seems like if they are there anyway, why not play sports? If the plan is to keep teenagers and young twenty somethings in their houses for months and months, well I think we’ve tried that, and they just aren’t gonna do it. It was ok for a few weeks, but they’ve had enough. I think the answer is just to stay away from young people.
 #29319  by Roundball
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Exactly but the difference in then and now is the media and social media. I lived thru all of those and never was scared to death. We lived thru those without all the nonsense going on now such as having this rammed down our throat constantly every day by the media. Don’t get me wrong it is very serious but it will run its course like every other virus and we will just have to live with it. Really don’t think the masks, social distancing etc does a whole lot of good. We were social distancing all along and the mask wearing has increased significantly the last few weeks but the cases have skyrocketed. I know I’m in the minority but I think it is up to the virus more than peeps. This may not go away until after the election. If the virus doesn’t just go away the media’s spin on it will certainly change.
Are you kidding? Lack of social distancing and lack of mask wearing, plus Trump’s handling of this virus has caused the cases to skyrocket. I assume by media, you are talking about FOX?
 #29324  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Lack of social distancing and lack of mask wearing, plus Trump’s handling of this virus has caused the cases to skyrocket.
FUBeAR blames John Frémont & The Deplorables. Their particular brand of punk-ska music just may have heralded the apocalypse.
apaladin liked this
 #29328  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:02 am
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Wait - you lived through the Spanish Flu in 1918?
 #29329  by JohnKX512
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:02 am
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Wait - you lived through the Spanish Flu in 1918?
So you lived through these pandemics, then you must know how long and how much effort it took to solve the problem. We learned to wear masks and to use proper hygiene during the spanish flu (very similar to today's COVID) and during POLIO we spent time and money to research causes and a vaccine. Until the vaccine, thousands of children were in iron lungs... and AIDS taught us how the disease was transmitted and how to use proper protection to slow the spread. So, get off your weird fascination with social media and making your agenda fit your narrative, and start looking at how we solved these pandemics and what the professionals and doctors say.

I am not saying we won't have classes. I am saying we have not contained the spread and still need to make the best precautions.

We are wearing masks NOW, but this is caused by 2-3 weeks ago when we weren't. This is how COVID works. We are REACTING instead of PRECAUTION and PREPARING. Take it seriously NOW and we will have football and normal life LATER. Hey, maybe wearing a mask will prevent this disease, as well as colds, flu and other diseases; it is a win for all of us. What do you have to lose?
 #29330  by Paul C
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Are you kidding? Lack of social distancing and lack of mask wearing, plus Trump’s handling of this virus has caused the cases to skyrocket. I assume by media, you are talking about FOX?
When are we going to lose our obsession with "cases".

It's clear now that the fatality rate of COVID is in the 0.2%-0.3% range.....far far lower than the 3% that was estimated at the beginning of this. I wonder, if we knew then, what we know now, if we would have shut everything down like we did.

30%-50% of cases are asymptomatic (and asymptomatic cases are not as infectious), and the majority of the rest of the cases are mild.

In NC, one of the states that saw cases soar after opening has seen a steady decline in hospitalzations.

It is still MORE DANGEROUS and needs to be taken more seriously than the FLU, but it's not the virus from the movie "Pandemic",

And also despite the cases starting to rise in late-May, the daily death toll is still declining moderately. The 7 day moving average is down to 584/day from 636/day last week. For comparative purposes, the 7 day moving average in late April/early May when it was running rampant through the NY nursing home community was 2,100/day.....

ANd when you compare our death rate/per MM it's still far lower than the vast majority of western European countries (societies most similar to ours) we are far better....we are at 393.7/m whereas the UK is 655.4/m, France is 445.1/m, Spain is 606.1/m, Belgium is 853.3/m and Italy is 574,9/m.....so don't make this political....there is plenty to criticize Trump for, criticizing him for CV-19 just exposes your bias.
gofurman, FUBeAR, FurmanMom60 and 1 others liked this
 #29336  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am
“Ohio State requires players to sign COVID-19 waivers, a move that will likely become commonplace.” https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... mmonplace/

I guess this is the only way to have a football season. I wonder if colleges will require this for all incoming students?
The sc high school league is doing it. I would imagine schools and everybody else will feel they need this to protect themselves. Not terribly surprising. The parents we gave them to just pretty much rolled their eyes.
 #29337  by Davemeister
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am
I wonder if spectators at Paladin Stadium will be required to sign a waiver.
 #29338  by gofurman
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
JohnKX512 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
When are we going to lose our obsession with "cases".

It's clear now that the fatality rate of COVID is in the 0.2%-0.3% range.....far far lower than the 3% that was estimated at the beginning of this. I wonder, if we knew then, what we know now, if we would have shut everything down like we did.

30%-50% of cases are asymptomatic (and asymptomatic cases are not as infectious), and the majority of the rest of the cases are mild.

In NC, one of the states that saw cases soar after opening has seen a steady decline in hospitalzations.

It is still MORE DANGEROUS and needs to be taken more seriously than the FLU, but it's not the virus from the movie "Pandemic",

And also despite the cases starting to rise in late-May, the daily death toll is still declining moderately. The 7 day moving average is down to 584/day from 636/day last week. For comparative purposes, the 7 day moving average in late April/early May when it was running rampant through the NY nursing home community was 2,100/day.....

ANd when you compare our death rate/per MM it's still far lower than the vast majority of western European countries (societies most similar to ours) we are far better....we are at 393.7/m whereas the UK is 655.4/m, France is 445.1/m, Spain is 606.1/m, Belgium is 853.3/m and Italy is 574,9/m.....so don't make this political....there is plenty to criticize Trump for, criticizing him for CV-19 just exposes your bias.
Paul, nice! So. Much. This. PaulC is using math - FACTS DON'T CARE ABOUT FEELINGS ! love it. It's just math people. COVID-19 is a horrific thing. We should all hate it - if there is one thing I can't stand it is people using these deaths to push a political agenda: that is beyond poor. Biden tweeting that "100k deaths and 20 million unemployed is on Trump." Really? WOW. Quite a statement there. Trump is single-handedly responsible for a global pandemic? Funny the lack of math there. Even if no Pandemic there are always a few million unemployed, right? So really Biden can't do math. He should have said - assuming Turmp IS responsible for every death and unemployed person :roll: :roll: :roll: ... that perhaps "Trump is responsible for an extra 3 million unemployed than if a better leader was in charge". But that would take THINKING. iE, no matter who was in 'charge', lots of people would have died and lots of people would be unemployed. so to blame the ENTIRE NUMBER on any politician is just ludicrous. But that's what Biden did. and Republicans respond Just .. As.. Poorly.

Paul, I too have been watching the death rate. I care about all cases but it's really the deaths that matter most. If people got sick but did not pass away this would be a much much better scenario. Our death rate appears to be better - not perfect for sure.. but better.
fupaladin01 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by FUATT

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:38 pm

User avatar TV

by MNORM

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar WCU at Montana

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by rangab

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by furpop16

Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.