• 2021 Commitment

#28835  by AstroDin
 Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:09 am
Beuglas has 15 offers listed on 247 but digging into his Twitter, Beuglas appears to have at least 20 offers.
Had FBS offers from Maryland, South Alabama, Army and I think MTSU.
Had offers from most Ivies (Including Yale and Harvard).
The DIns also beat out Chatty and the Citadel.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10948177/Tommy-Beuglas
 #28841  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 am
I would be interested to know how COVID-19 has affected commitments. I'm sure the cancellation of summer camps, inability to get on the road, and reduced in-person exposure has created difficulty. I would expect that things may move a bit slower than normal.

That said, I think Furman typically starts getting verbal commitments around mid-summer, so that seems like we are on track. With each commitment, I would expect the available slots changes rapidly as coaches continue to shift their focus to areas of need.
 #28842  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:09 am
Beuglas has 15 offers listed on 247 but digging into his Twitter, Beuglas appears to have at least 20 offers.
Had FBS offers from Maryland, South Alabama, Army and I think MTSU.
Had offers from most Ivies (Including Yale and Harvard).
The DIns also beat out Chatty and the Citadel.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10948177/Tommy-Beuglas
I think that makes it two years in a row Furman lands the MLB from arguably Georgia's top high school program.
 #29124  by JohnW
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:05 pm
Devin DuCille, 5-11 220 RB/LB from Demark HS in Alpharetta has committed.
 #29128  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:52 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:05 pm
Devin DuCille, 5-11 220 RB/LB from Demark HS in Alpharetta has committed.
Given the coaches comments, it would look like this is a RB commit. On film, he looks like he will fit right in that FB/RB with a game similar to Maples and Roberto.

Like with most commits at this stage of Hendrix's tenure, Furman continues to go after "prototype players" that fit a specific role on the roster.
 #29254  by AstroDin
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:19 am
A couple of updates…

Furman got another committed yesterday… we will have to wait to see who this is:

also concerning DuCille… Devin had a great 2018 season and was injured in the first game of 2019 and sat out the rest of the season. The runningback he'll be replacing signed with VaTech. He's expected to have a big season, just a guess here - Furman wanted to lock DuCille up early.
 #29259  by Paul C
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Really interesting that we offered a kid that missed his whole Jr year AND didn’t have an oppty to “show off” in camps this summer.
 #29262  by The Jackal
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:25 pm
Paul C wrote:
Really interesting that we offered a kid that missed his whole Jr year AND didn’t have an oppty to “show off” in camps this summer.
This is sort of a "moneyball" approach, I think. I like what they are doing.

FCS teams naturally have to find market inefficiencies. The best teams are able to locate those players - guys with FBS level talent - get them in the program and develop them. This is becoming all the more important as D1 football continues to be saturated with new and transitioning programs.

You see Furman doing this pretty routinely. They are locating guys that have "flaws" for whatever reason - usually injury history, position, or measurables.

I also think we are honing in on a prototype player for each position. We know what sort of player we are looking for to play a certain position in our system.

An additional benefit is we are finally at a spot where we don't have to recruit players that have to play immediately. If a kid had an injury in high school and missed some time, we don't necessarily need him to start in August.
 #29274  by Paul C
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:12 pm
Based on Twitter activity I would speculate the most recent commit is QB Jace Wilson from Del Valle HS in TX. Resembles Russell Wilson in stature, mobility and ability to make plays and throw on the run.
AstroDin, FUKA61 liked this
 #29277  by tya1
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:23 am
Paul C wrote:
There have been others who were injured and missed chances to be seen by recruiters.

It goes back awhile, but I think David Whitehurst was injured as a junior in HS then only won one game as a senior. He had a great career for the Paladins and a respectable NFL stint.
 #29282  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 am
Paul C wrote:
Based on Twitter activity I would speculate the most recent commit is QB Jace Wilson from Del Valle HS in TX. Resembles Russell Wilson in stature, mobility and ability to make plays and throw on the run.
If true, Wilson is a kid Furman appeared to have targeted early on.

I agree that Wilson isn't a big guy, he certainly appears on film to be an elusive runner with an accurate throwing arm that should fit our system well.
 #29286  by fufanatic
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Hope he plays like Russell Wilson.
 #29290  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:42 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Hope he plays like Russell Wilson.
High school film is impressive. He's listed at 5'10 170, which I am sure will have him overlooked by a lot of schools. That may be Furman's gain.

Watching his film, it is hard to find a good Furman comp. Maybe a guy like PJ Blazejowski - mobile, throws on the run, elusive in space. Blazejowski was a little bigger as a high school player.

I almost hate to say it, but a guy that popped into my mind watching the tape was Armanti Edwards. Similar build, quick change of direction, acceleration, and ability to throw on the run.

Good news is whatever QB we decide to bring in, there's no immediate need to play them day 1.