• The 2020 Offensive Attack

#28757  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 am
Yep, I wish we could get 4 yds against that stacked box. Lots of plays are designed to do that. And if you can do it, everything else falls into place.
In my opinion, how far Furman goes in 2020 hangs on the answer to this question.

Looking at last season, completion percentage was probably the most closely linked indicator as to how well our offense played. Games against VMI, UTC, Samford, and Mercer, the completion percentage was around mid 50s or higher. I think that's the range we need to be in.

Interestingly, the volume of passing really isn't relevant. That is, we don't really need to throw for a bunch of yards to make the passing game effective. We just have to complete the throws.

When you look at our less-than-stellar offensive games, you see the opposite trend. In games against ETSU and Wofford, completion percentages were in the low 40s. Against Citadel, it was a ghastly 20%. The Citadel is a good team, but they aren't THAT good.

APSU tends to be a bit of a statistical outlier because the completion percentage there was a decent 53%. APSU had the best run defense we played, though, and was perfectly fine letting Furman try to dink and dunk their way down the field all game (average Furman completion was 5.5 yards). You better be higher than 53% to play that sort of offensive game against a good team.
 #28759  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 am
Yep, I wish we could get 4 yds against that stacked box. Lots of plays are designed to do that. And if you can do it, everything else falls into place.
In my opinion, how far Furman goes in 2020 hangs on the answer to this question.

Looking at last season, completion percentage was probably the most closely linked indicator as to how well our offense played. Games against VMI, UTC, Samford, and Mercer, the completion percentage was around mid 50s or higher. I think that's the range we need to be in.

Interestingly, the volume of passing really isn't relevant. That is, we don't really need to throw for a bunch of yards to make the passing game effective. We just have to complete the throws.

When you look at our less-than-stellar offensive games, you see the opposite trend. In games against ETSU and Wofford, completion percentages were in the low 40s. Against Citadel, it was a ghastly 20%. The Citadel is a good team, but they aren't THAT good.

APSU tends to be a bit of a statistical outlier because the completion percentage there was a decent 53%. APSU had the best run defense we played, though, and was perfectly fine letting Furman try to dink and dunk their way down the field all game (average Furman completion was 5.5 yards). You better be higher than 53% to play that sort of offensive game against a good team.
100% agree jackal. Still hoping we have a full season. But yes, I think most anyone who watched last year can tell you when we could run the ball.. we won. It was that simple. Samford, VMI, CSU, Point, VMI ... Citadel unfortunately took a chance that gave a blueprint. Stack that box. make the QB (whichever QB ) prove a 50-60% completion rate. Citadel and Wofford thrived on this. Wofford had better talent than Citadel for sure. I hate Wofford but Citadel was more frustrating as I knew we had the talent and home-field to beat them. Woff I considered a coin flip at best (whomever is at home seems to win in FU v Woff).

Citadel was that dmn 5/25 passing game. Man, that was weird.. and so frustrating. 5/25.
 #29174  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:51 pm
Furman posted this today. Had never really watched this play in isolation, but man, shows you how dangerous Devin Wynn is.

VMI puts 10-11 men within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Furman runs a simple counter play (quite honestly, one of the most basic plays in any football playbook). Wynn uses excellent field vision and makes four cuts before he finally hits top speed. After getting into the defensive backfield he straight outruns a VMI defensive back 30 pounds lighter than he is.

If the scoreline wasn't any indication, if a defense can't stop this play with 9 or 10 defenders up front, it'll be a long afternoon for the defense.
 #29177  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
Good run but looks to me like all 5 ol guys executed nearly perfect blocking. In the middle of the field, it looks like 2 guys block 3 guys. Good for the fat guys!
Dirty South Sarge liked this
 #29178  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
Good run but looks to me like all 5 ol guys executed nearly perfect blocking. In the middle of the field, it looks like 2 guys block 3 guys. Good for the fat guys!
Well executed by all parties. The OL gets a series of nice blocks and Wynn reads what they are doing perfectly and weaves right in behind them needing only a tiny crease to get free.

I had not noticed this the first time, but this appears to be an overloaded formation from Furman - the player next to the RG is the TE and the RT (can't read the number) is flipped over next to the LT. Furman tends to do this a good bit.

Put another way, Furman ends up starting the play with 3 OL left of the center, then pulls the RG, and then brings Roberto behind them.

I really like the block by Neely at Center. It's not the sexiest block, and I can't tell where VMI lined up, but he may be the block that really springs the play. Furman is pulling the RG and sending the fullback play side. The Center's has to cutoff the backside DT (#52).

Make that block and Furman has numbers and blocking. Miss the block at the DT probably has his facemask in Wynn's chest at the handoff.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.