• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#29171  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 pm
I am pretty sure lots of folks should do some reading on non-profit corporate governance... Power lies with the Board, and the Chief Executive only has powers delegated by the Board.
 #29172  by Roundball
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
I am pretty sure lots of folks should do some reading on non-profit corporate governance... Power lies with the Board, and the Chief Executive only has powers delegated by the Board.
There is no way the President of Furman has sole power over the Board of Trustees that can fire her. No way.
 #29175  by fufanatic
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm
If I have learned anything in my time hanging around higher ed, it's that the president answers to no one ... except the board. The board is all powerful at a university. The president took baseball/mlax to the board and they said yes. They could have said no, which would have meant a return to the drawing board.

Other catch-up thoughts:
- I really don't understand why you would turn down free money to keep a sport going. No different than what Bowling Green did. If Furman was offered enough money to keep baseball going, they should have jumped on it in a hot second.

- I'm not buying for a second that Furman had to cut baseball and mlax for Title IX reasons. I see nothing in pouring over the Title IX rules that makes me believe that Furman wasn't compliant in many different ways.

- I hate to mention it, but I wouldn't be shocked if football wasn't at least tossed out there as a sport to cut. The president has no allegiance to Furman football, but if they think baseball caused a negative reaction, oh boy would cutting football have sent alumni support off the deep end, including this guy.

- Are we seeing the end of Furman being the top all-around sports program in the SoCon? I have a feeling some of our small sports are going to take a big hit with the scholarship reduction. I always made fun of the Wofford model of being good in the big sports but awful in everything else, but it's hard to argue with FCS playoff appearances and multiple NCAA men's hoops appearances. It seems likely we are heading that direction with the exception of sports like running and soccers and women's golf, which should stay elite.
Sad Din, apaladin, MetroMizzy and 1 others liked this
 #29176  by Sad Din
 Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:28 pm
Formula for disaster = (new AD + pandemic+ low admissions + accounting advisors) * Panic squared

Wonder besides sports what the other cost cutting measure were (besides salaries)?
Tree replacement strategy?
Travel abroad ?
Downtown museum?
Student orientation?
apaladin, MetroMizzy liked this
 #29187  by MetroMizzy
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:48 am
Roundball wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
There is no way the President of Furman has sole power over the Board of Trustees that can fire her. No way.
Based on what I know, some of which was communicated in writing from BOT members, she has the power. If I win the Powerball I would make it my life's mission to hire a legal team from hell to investigate it all. Maybe someone has the means or the will to do it?

She got what she personally wanted - less men's sports. Based on what I know, that is my opinion.
apaladin liked this
 #29188  by Roundball
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Based on what I know, some of which was communicated in writing from BOT members, she has the power. If I win the Powerball I would make it my life's mission to hire a legal team from hell to investigate it all. Maybe someone has the means or the will to do it?

She got what she personally wanted - less men's sports. Based on what I know, that is my opinion.
If true, the entire BOT should resign. IMHO, it sounds like some on the Board want to pass the buck.
apaladin liked this
 #29191  by cavedweller2
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:00 pm
Davis needs to resign.
apaladin, Rokawaylifer liked this
 #29197  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm
If that’s the way it went down, she had them over a barrel. They would have risked a big Title IX stink if they pushed back.
apaladin liked this
 #29399  by fufanatic
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am
Boise State is eliminating baseball. Don't think they even had it very long. So now there are two schools that eliminated the sport ...
 #29404  by freebird
 Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:

Ten quality hacks from the high tee...…..and Davis is the tee.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #29432  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 am
Sad Din wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:28 am
Exactly... this was the argument for Lax. For every 1 scholarship given 2-3 players that would not have come to FU are paying tuition

https://www.sportico.com/2020/leagues/c ... 234608297/
From the start I’ve wondered if they even considered this angle. If they did, it’s hard to see why they cut anything unless it was some symbolic gesture or something.
 #29458  by FGT
 Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:25 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 am
“Boise State to cut baseball, swimming and dive teams due to COVID-19-related budget cuts.”

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... rylink=cpy
Ironically 2020 was Boise State’s first season playing baseball in nearly 40 years. No on campus facility makes it much easier to cut a sport who has no physical footprint on campus. It’s very difficult to pull off D1 baseball in Boise, ID due to the lack of D1 schools who sponsor the sport in that part of the country. Of note the swimming and diving teams were women’s sports. BSU doesn’t sponsor men’s teams in those sports.

Still hard to believe Furman would cut baseball with the on campus facility that had seen recent considerable financial investment. Unheard of for D1 baseball in the South. I think this may be the first time a D1 school in the South with on campus facilities has ever dropped baseball.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.